“Ideal for a group of friends.”
Review of The House

The House
Ranked #41 of 262 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 November 2012

This B&B was perfect for our group (5 friends). It was not too far out of town and easily accessible by trams (25 & 28),taxi or metro (Rato station). It's very close to the Estrela Basilica which is a useful landmark. The HOUSE is on the 4th floor but there is a lift. We all liked our rooms and they were just as described on the website.
The terrace gives you a stunning view of Lisbon and it's a good place to unwind in the evening with a glass of wine from their honesty bar. There are tea and coffee making facilities too.
We had excellent service from Pilar, before and during our stay. She went out of her way to be helpful. She arranged taxis, printed our boarding passes and helped with restaurant suggestions. Everything was done with a smile and willingness to please. She made our stay very easy.
Breakfast was simple but good and plentiful and the only suggestion I'd make is that they should ask if you want scrambled eggs and bacon as it arrived on the counter after we'd eaten our yogurts, ham, cheese and toast etc (we all thought it was just a cold buffet). (I can see why some people think there is no hot food)
Another change I'd like to see is that they have a hairdryer in each room. Being a group of women, we had to chase round to get one when we wanted it.
Overall, it's very good value for money, you get great service and it's in a quiet district. I'd highly recommend it!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 November 2012

This hotel is perfectly located for visiting Lisbon's key sights. Our hosts Francesco and Pilar could not have been more helpful in promoting Lisbon and its attractions. They both went out of their way to help us. They made great suggestions for getting around Lisbon, key sights and for restaurants. Pilar also provided accurate maps for anywhere we wanted to visit. Our room was delightful with a view of the city. Although it must be said nothing to compare with the wonderful view from the rooftop terrace. A lovely place to relax after a full days sight seeing! Breakfast is excellent.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2012

My husband and I stayed at The House for two days in early November and couldn't have been happier. Rita was incredibly friendly and helpful, making sure we had everything we needed. We stayed in The Girl's Room, which was very clean and cozy. The rooftop terrace is amazing and we enjoyed the location as well, especially spending time in the nearby park. The only downside was a weak wifi connection in our room, but we really don't need to spend our holiday surfing the web anyway. Would highly recommend!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The first thing that comes to my mind is the nice roof terrace with panoramic view over the city and over the Tejo river. I also appreciated the Portuguese breakfast they served: daily changed variety of fresh fruits, yoghourts, cheese, pastries, jams, cookies, cereals, sweets and delicious freshly squeezed orange juice. The owner, Francisco and his brother were very helpful and recommended us places to eat and visit. The room was rather small but clean and nicely decorated. In the neighborhood, don't miss a visit to Basilica da Estrela (you can visit its rooftop also) and Jardim da Estrela, a little park like a luxuriant botanic garden were lisboetas come to relax and socialize. If you want to go to a restaurant with great live fado music I recommend Senhor Vinho restaurant: simple but tasty food and good, expensive wine.

Room Tip: I stayed in Nanny's Bedroom and it has 2 not too big but comfortable rooms and a decent bathroom...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I wanted an extra special venue to celebrate my 50th birthday with a group of close friends. After trailing through the internet I settled on the House. From my first contact with the staff, Francisco and Pilar at The house, I could tell that individual first class service was a priority to them. The location is ideal, the decor is divine, the breakfast is superb and the roof top terrace is an extraordinary gem. Francisco and Pilar, and all the staff looked after us so well, the attention to detail surpasses anything I have experienced elsewhere. They organised a lovely celebration meal for us on the terrace, various trips around the city and last but not least escorted us to a fantastic art auction.
All of my friends, who all have exacting high standards, have agreed how wonderful, charming and inspiring our stay at the The House has been.
Go now! I cant wait to return, Im planning my next trip. The House is outstanding, with wonderful staff, a great location and is everything you could want and at a fantastic price.

Room Tip: All the rooms were great.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
fcpcc1, Owner at The House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2012

Dear Karen,

Lovely review, thank you so much.
I am glad (and relieved! big responsability being in charge of your 40th birthday!) you enjoyed it. From experience I know that in big groups it is almost always impossible to please everybody but we (yourself and our staff) seemed to have achieved just that.
Especialy happy that you enjoyed it so much.

um abraço de Lisboa,