“Quality Fish cooked very well”

Restaurante Mar do Inferno
Ranked #35 of 630 Restaurants in Cascais
Price range: US$29 - US$46
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 October 2018

We were a party of 8 on a golf trip. We had no booking but we were accommodated. The food was really good. We all enjoyed our meal and the place was packed with locals which is always a good sign. I will be back . . . .

1  Thank Mike M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,993)

Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

A large group (20+) had a fantastic dinner here...everyone left raving about the food. Waiters could attempt smiling a little, but when the food is this good, does it really matter? Main course was the largest and tastiest sea bass I’ve ever seen/eaten...all in a great setting.

1  Thank 749sebastian
Reviewed 29 September 2018

I had high hopes for a special meal here, having read the reviews and seeing the location. Unfortunately it turned out to be a real disappointment.

The food was fine - nothing to write home about but perfectly adequate. However I expected more, having seen the rave reviews on here. Perhaps we chose wrongly but we opted for seafood which is, after all, their speciality

What really let the place down was the service- or lack of it. This was easily the worst service we received in our 2 weeks in Portugal, eating at 11 different restaurants.The waiters seemed distracted, or just unfriendly - there was no attempt to engage with us and the whole experience felt as if we were on a production line. They seemed to want us seated and out with the least fuss and attention as possible - it was clearly a slick operation but with no personal touch.

I don't want to be best friends with my waiter but I do expect him to set the table properly (pepper but no salt) but at least we fared better than the next table as we were given oil and vinegar, they just got oil. I also expect the opportunity to try my wine and not have it sloshed into our glasses and plonked into the wine bucket without any attempt to do so. It wasn't just one waiter - we were served by 3 different people. I would add that they can't have been completely charmless as a couple of tables (of presumably regular customers) were fussed over and given the best tables in the house.

If you want a table by the sea with great food and top class service do yourself a favour and drive a bit further down the road to Furnas do Guincho

1  Thank Nibbles
Reviewed 26 September 2018 via mobile

Everything about this establishment was fabulous, the friendly service, the view, the location and most importantly the food.

This was the best meal we ate in Portugal. The seafood was so fresh and beautifully prepared. We had oysters, fish soup, clams and a small platter for mains. Each course was more delicious than the last.

It was fairly expensive but worth every euro if you appreciate good food, good wine and great service.

Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

My 2 friends and I have just visited this place today, after hearing and reading so many good reviews we thought we’d give it a try - absolutely shocking!

Our waiter was so miserable, he clearly doesn’t enjoy his job, we were made to feel like we we’re an inconvenience to him..
we asked some questions about the menu his responses were rude and just one word replies, however his attitude, tone and demeanour changed greatly when speaking and serving Portuguese customers.

After waiting at least 10 minutes for him to return and take our order, we then waited 50 minutes for our food to be served, we asked a few times what was happening only to be told in broken English that it’s coming it’s coming.

First a bowl of salad leaves came out, then 5 minutes later potatoes and spinach, then 10 minutes later the entrees came, 2 first then the 3rd... his explanation was that the kitchen didn’t get the order or there had been a mix up.

The food itself was pretty average and certainly nothing to rate favourably.

After expecting amazing things from this place we left feeling like it had been a total waste of time and money.

We will definitely be returning to Cascais but will not return here, this place need to totally up its game in the area of customer service.