“All about the people and partying.”
Review of Rising Cock Hostel

Rising Cock Hostel
Ranked #49 of 140 Speciality Lodging in Lagos
Reviewed 19 August 2017

I booked this hostel after a few friends had recommended its good vibes, crazy nature and Mama's Crepes. I can understand why, and that is because this hostel ticks all the boxes for 'fun' ....BUT can I tell you now, it was the WORST hostel I have ever stayed in. The bathrooms were vile, and my bed smelt like the most disgusting stench of body odour I have ever sniffed through my nostrils. The security was undoubtedly horrendous. The door of our room, which was right near the front entrance, did not lock or close properly. The bathroom can be seen from under the door so creepy people would look under. The locker that was given to me was broken and there was no other option for me to put my stuff. Day two, 5am, we had random people come into our room and steal our stuff, I chased them down the street and eventually they threw everything back. I brought this up at reception the next day and nothing was resolved, and the least amount of compassion given. Also, the room was unbearably hot- please put fans in there. The positives : Shower was super high pressure- Amazing. Mama's crepes were the highlight and lifesaver. Mama in general was a super hospitable, and kind hearted person. The communal areas are great for socialising and meeting people. The boozecruise was fun! Pub crawl super. GREAT location. Atmosphere and people are why it gets 2 stars. I would not recommend this to anyone who puts a priority to hygiene and comfort over partying.

Room Tip: Upstairs room facing courtyard.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

Absolutely vile place! Booked 2 beds for a friend and I (male) months ago only to arrive to be told they assumed we were a couple and put us in a double bed. When we complained we were told to ask "the other people to swap" with no apology offered and zero care for the fact that it's made us feel uncomfortable, especially because I know two other friends that booked the day before and both got single beds. The bathrooms were absolutely disgusting with no toilet paper in one of them for over 12 hours. When you have a bunch of people with 3 bathrooms to share something like toilet paper should be provided! It was so loud and people gave zero concern that I was sleeping and jumped on the bed and spoke loudly and watched snapchat videos in bed at 5am. In the morning I booked another hostel with two nights left of my stay I was told I wasn't getting a refund because it was less than 48 hours notice. Absolute joke of a place where no one cares about their guests. Wish I could rate it a zero STAY AWAY AT ALL COST!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Julia B
Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

The rising cock hostel has a big reputation for being the party place to stay in Lagos. Your stay at the rising cock is all dependent on the people (note: all Australians). We met a great bunch of girls which made the experience and the price worth it!

The vibes around the hostel are very relaxed and chilled. People are always coming and going and there is a pub crawl every night for everyone at the hostel.The staff are friendly (especially mumma!) and want your time in the hostel to be a huge party. The hostel is not too big so you feel at home but beds, sleeping spaces and amenities can be a bit disorganized. There is no air con in the rooms apart from the princess room (all females)!!

Stay here if you want to party!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2017

Hereby Reviewing the Rising Cock Booze cruise. I have not stayed at the hostel!
1.) Booze cruise ended 1 hour early, no compensation was given.
2.) Beer was inadequately cooled, its not really fun to drink lukewarm beer in the heat. Staff brings beer on the boat warm and its put in a big water bucket with some ice to cool down. Obviously you cant cool hundreds of beers with one big bag of ice within minutes. 60 minutes into the tour the beers werent cold anymore.
3.) Not a cruise, boat is ancored a mile down the marina
4.) No dedicated soundsystem, just a speaker trolley that tour guides use. Overall low value for money. especially considering that the beer is a cheap discount beer. Should be priced around 30 EUR maximum and only really doable if you bring a cooler and some ice.

Management didnt fully respond & react to my request concerning a partial refund considering that the tour ended prematurely.

Giving two stars as the staff was nice and motivating.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 February 2017 via mobile

Amazing staff and place!! Can't fault a thing. Home away from home. Would highly recommend staying here because it's so welcoming and so much fun. Mumma crepes are the best thing in the morning and her secret tea!!

Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends