My partner and I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn in Armação de Pêra. We made the mistake of not booking any transfer to the hotel from Faro airport and decided that we would catch the train and then walk from the nearest train station to the hotel. The website says that the closest train station is Alcantarilha, but it fails to say how far from this station that the hotel actually is. Once we got off the train from Faro (45min train ride), and walked out of the train station, there was a sign saying Armação de Pêra was down this particular road. It took us 6km of walking at dusk before we even got to a town where we could ask for directions. A man was kind enough to take us the rest of the way, another 4km. But in all honesty, this isn't the hotels fault, it was our fault for not researching the area more and finding other means of transport.
Once we finally arrived at the hotel, check in was easy and we were straight up to our clean room, 422 (hidden at the end of a corridor, the room numbers next to ours being 410, 411, 412). We didn't ask for an ocean view room, but it was an extra EURO35/night at the time of booking. You can get an amazing view by sitting in the bar or by the pool which costs nothing. Our room was kept clean for the duration of our stay. We did have some issues with the bathroom door handle, this being that it came completely off. We told reception and they had it fixed by that afternoon. We also had to have the key to our room reset on 3 separate occasions because it just wouldn't let us in our room.
We ate dinner at the hotel restaurant, two of the six nights, which was good but expensive. There are heaps of little restaurants within a 5 minute walk that were more than half the price.
The FREE buffet breakfast was a major hit! They had a great range of breakfast food available. From cereals to baked beans, bacon and eggs, roast tomatoes, mushrooms, fresh fruit, bread for toasting, pastries and cakes.
As we went in January, there weren't any trips running. This ranged from fishing trips to a boat ride along the coast line to see the caves. But again, this is not the fault of the hotel. The hotel went to the trouble in calling a few places to get prices and operating times.
So there wasn't a great deal to do but to lie by the pool in the sun or go for walks along the beach and cliffs. But the weather to do this was perfect!
We enjoyed sitting in the bar each afternoon at 3.30pm for complimentary cakes and biscuits, while testing the cocktails!
Lots of retired and older people frequent this hotel, so if you are young and wanting something a bit more wild and rowdy, then staying here mightn't be what you are looking for. But we are a young couple and found it relaxing and peaceful, which is what we were after!
All in all, we had a fantastic time! Next time we go, we might try going closer to the summer when more of the attractions are operating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether you want to relax in the sun, take leisurely strolls on the beach or are looking for something more active, the Holiday Inn Algarve, formerly known as Hotel Garbe, is the perfect choice. Commanding a prime beachfront position with stunning panoramic views over the bay of the Algarvean village of Armação de Pêra, the hotel lies within strolling distance of shops, restaurants and entertainment. The holiday Inn Algarve is one of the best located Armação de Pêra accommodations. It is also an excellent base from which to explore the Algarve, with regular bus services to nearby towns and villages. From almost every angle guests enjoy breathtaking ocean views of the sparkling Atlantic. Direct access from the hotel leads straight on to the magnificent sandy beach, one of the longest in the Algarve. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, Hotels.com and IHG so you can book your Holiday Inn Algarve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Algarve Hotel
- Garbe Hotel Armação De Pera
- Holiday Inn Algarve Armacao De Pera, Portugal