“Lovely holiday and brillant hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Choromar Apartments

Choromar Apartments
Ranked #68 of 162 Hotels in Albufeira
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely holiday and brillant hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

(I'm writing this review quite late as I have only just come across this website...)
When booking the hotel everything about the hotel seemed pretty decent. We weren't looking for anything amazing but when we got there we were shocked. Though the entrance was a little small and it took a while for us to realize it was actually our hotel, we were taken to our room and it was huge! For only me and my partner we had a full on kitchen in the living area. It was said on the holiday website that there will be a kitchenette but no it was pretty huge kitchen and our jaws dropped. The year before I went to Albuferia with my family and friends and we stayed in an apartment with a kitchenette. It was literally two blocks of work top with a sink. So this is why I was so shocked. The bathroom we had was gorgeous with a really big sink. We had a little balcony at the front which had steps over the side to go to the pool which was good so we didn't have to go out the front door and go round the side. We had a little trouble with our suitcases and had to go back to the airport an hour after we got there and the hotel staff called us a cab straight away and tried everything they could to help us. They were so sweet! We went out most nights to the old town (which is brilliant) and the hotel had a cab service for only 3 Euros to anywhere like the strip or the old town. The old town has a beach on it so it was really nice to have a midnight walk on the beach with an ice cream. The food at the hotel was amazing. They had the yummiest pizzas. There were loads to choose from on the menu and we ate here most nights then went out. There is a mini market in the hotel where we got all of our supplies for the 10 days and the prices were reasonable. I think there are around 4 different pools for each block of apartments. The main pool was a bit crowded but we didn't mind much as it was nice to get chatting to people round the pool. There were quite a lot of stag dos which may not be suitable for young children but we found them hilarious. Me and my boyfriend are quite young and we were up for a laugh and the lads just made it hilarious. There is a local bus that stops outside a school just next to the hotel which takes you to the old town and saves you spending about 6 Euros on a taxi if the hotel service isn't available. The Portuguese speak really good English but we always said hello and thank you and stuff like that in Portuguese and they were sooo appreciated. When they first heard us say it they seemed really impressed. I guess not many people can be bothered with that but it’s just manners really. We loved everything about this hotel, the staff were great, the rooms were spotless but there was one thing I couldn't hack and I hope this doesn't put anyone off too much.... But every morning we woke up to cockroaches in the living area dead.. or alive. On the balcony there was about 6 every morning and we would be up sweeping them. We were on the ground floor so above that wouldn’t happen. One time I went to get something out of my suitcase and I found one in there! I hate any bugs and after that I had my boyfriend checking it every day as I would not go near it. One night I got so scared we shoved t-shirts by the front door as there was a cap at the bottom and this may have been why they were sneaking in at night. Sorry if I’ve been rambling on but do consider this place, it is really lovely. Best first holiday without family! Would definitely return for the 3rd time to Albufeira.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Jessica G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

I stayed in the choromar apartments in may 2011 there was a group of 6 adults and 9 children, we went for a week but it went to fast 10 days would be perfect,there was lots of things to do for family's, we all had a brilliant time, the food was nice, the staff were very nice and helpful. its about a ten minute walk from the strip. I have to say it was the best holiday i had and i will go back again and stay in the choromar apartments, a big thank you to the staff of the choromara apartment from a family in Galway city eire

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank cseire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

Stayed for 10 nights in September, had a wonderful time. The rooms are by far the biggest I have ever stayed in with a full range of all facilities needed. Staff a very friendly and really bend over backwards to make you feel at home lord knows how they have the patience with us rowdy Brits!! Minibus is available to take you to old town or the strip but it's also a nice walk. Mini market on site in the basement is reasonably priced and had everything you need. Will be booking again in the next few weeks for september looking forward to seeing you all again. Ate breve!!

• Stayed September 2011
6 Thank Angloushe
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

We have just returned from a winter break at the Choro Mar hotel. The hotel is a little out of the way in a residential area but dont let that put you off. It actually works out better if you are looking for a relaxing break. There are supermarkets and resturants nearby. We found everything we needed within 10mins walk from the hotel. A walk to the old town would take nearly 40mins and a walk the other way along the beach will land you in Vilamoura (this took us 2.5 hours to walk there and 2.5 hours back). There are some beautiful and colourful cliff faces along the way.
We paid £75 each for flights and accomodation booking on the internet so really didnt expect much but it was absolutely brilliant. We did the whole holiday uising hand luggage also so it truly was a bargain. The choromar is roughly 30mins drive from the airport and will cost around 11euros each for a shared minbus. We stayed for 7nights in room 003 which is right next to the bar/resturant. The room was clean and very very spacious. The outdoor swimming pool was right on our back doorstep and was heated. I really liked the personal service the hotel gave but then it was low season. The staff did have to play receptionist and bar tender at the same time but it really wasnt a problem for us. They were helpful in providing you with a photocopied map and directions of where you wanted to go.
I would recommend a bar called rumours for roast dinners on a sunday and would also recommend a chinese buffet called the happy house. We went self catering and had everything we needed to cook decent meals. The hotel bar food was pretty good also and a reasonable cost. Breakfast is good, they have a choice of English, Scottish and American breakfasts all reasonably priced.
The gym is 3 euros and hour. The sauna, steam room and jacuzzi is also 3 euros an hour.
You wont go wrong staying at the choro mar!!

Room Tip: I would ask for 003 or 002, dont be put off staying on the bottom floor. The hotel is secure
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nuzuki
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

This was our second time in Albuferia and at less than £300 in novvember for 2 including flights, two cases and transfers this was a bargain!
Apartment was clean, spacious.kictchen but need updaering full hob and oven and fridge freezer. Storage was more than adequate and balconys at front and back so you could take advantage of morning and evening sun .the floors wafer fin you cold here higheels from the next floor. the pool was heated but not warm for swimming.reption staff thay look like the owners or mangers thay seem gruppy. there are lots of cats and dogs around the hotel.Free bus or bus for 1.10 euros from the school bus stop nearby, or walk!

There is food available in the bar But strip is a easy walk away with its bars and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple