“Just awful. Please don't stay! Seriously.”
Review of Mar a Vista

Mar a Vista
Ranked #126 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Bath, United Kingdom
“Just awful. Please don't stay! Seriously.”
Reviewed 18 June 2011

Usually I research every hotel by using Trip Advisor and this time I had been looking at wrong Mar A Vista in Portamaio. How we paid the price......

Firstly it's situated on the Old Town part of Albuferia which is nice, at the top of a hill giving great views all around. That is the ONLY positive.

We arrived and fro outside it looks ok. Then you walk in the door and it's like going back 30 years. Everything is old and very dated. The people on reception were just ignorant and literally grunted bar a couple of them. The place is so dark inside as they dont have any lights on until dark and it's all really dingy.

The bar is laughable as it's never open and no one sits in reception unless its to use the free Wi-Fi (which was actually quite fast) though they don't advertise they have it unless you ask.

Our room had a great view. The end! The room was so miserable and tired it was untrue. There was a TV, a rusty fan and a fridge. The lights were on the walls and all the furniture was years old and tatty. The beds are hard as rock and looked dirty. In fact everything looked dirty including the floors and the bathroom.

Breakfast is laughable. It's on the top floor and it's self serve with rolls, cheese, ham and cornflakes. Coffee if from a cheap machine that dispenses it for you and tasted like nothing I've ever tasted before. We only went once and never went again.

The stairs are a health & safety risk as you can't see where your walking with no windows or light.

Most of the time there was no hot water. I asked at reception and they said the boiler was broke! Thanks. Not even a hint of getting it fixed. They just looked at you like you were mad.

There is no kettle, cups or glasses. In fact nothing in the room apart from the wardrobe, chair, beds and a desk and of course the bathroom.

The area is actually ok and a lovely hotel on the corner we looked at with envy each day.....

Maid service was a wipe with a damp cloth and made your bed. It was so depressing going back after having a nice day out, you just felt depressed going through the doors.

The only plug socket is based in the bathroom right above the sink. Really handy to charge your camera/phone.

It's all VERY basic. Reminded me more of a hostel than a hotel. So if you literally wanted a bed to sleep and nothing else on a really tight budget I guess it's for you. If your looking to have a nice relaxed holiday and returning to your light, airy clean room for a shower forget it.

We did actually ask to move rooms and were told we couldn't by reception manned by a young guy who was totally uninterested.
I have to say it's the worst place I've ever stayed in my life either in the UK or abroad.

We left after a week as we couldn't take any more. We went into main Albuferia and got a lovely apartment for our remaining week which was bliss!!!!

We complained when we left to the Manager who stood and agreed with everything we said. He said that it shouldn't be allowed to be open in it's current condition and been complaining for ages to his higher managers to get something done.

Looking back it was stupid of us to not spend an extra £200 on our holiday and be happy from day one. A mistake I will not make again in a hurry. Please check out my photos of the lovely 'room'.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank donnismonk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Polish first
southhampton
Reviewed 24 May 2011

phoned 3 days before to book a seaview room got one! room 406 no bath but adequate shower . I am 68 with dodgy legs Ifound by taking the long route down into the old town it was easier.there is a bus stop within five minutes walk from the hotel and a taxi is about 5 euros so getting abot is not too difficult

Room Tip: phone in advance during summer months
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank ronc1601
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2011

this hotel is basic but clean, with reception open 24 hours (useful for late arrivals as we were)
very good location at western edge of Old Town -
fantastic views but you have to take 10-15 mins steeply uphill to get there from the centre of the old Town
fortunately there's a bar half way.
towels changed twice a week but not the bed linen
suffered from noise from other rooms - slamming doors/shutters, around breakfast time rather than late night revellers
breakfast could be improved - drink, cornflakes & a roll 5 euro, whilst down the road a full english is only 4 !

Room Tip: room 3rd floor/ higher ; check breakfast needs
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank midlandta
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2011

We booked a last minute deal to Albufeira as we wanted to get away to the sun for 3 nights and just chill, we found this hotel on travelrepiblic as part of a deal £99 for 3 nights b&b for otel and flight so thought bargain, esp as it was over the Royal wedding bank holiday weekend. I was travelling with my boyfriend and 2 of our friends.

Check in was fine, the guy was friendly and explained about breakfast etc. Our room was ok, very big. It wasn't a double, it was two twin beds pushed together which I know you usually get in Europe - however because of the wood frames they didn't go properly together so me and my boyfriend were effectively sleeping in separate beds for the 3 nights which was a shame. The room was generally clean, a bit tired and tatty but ok. The view from our balcony was great, plus we had a massive balcony as we were on the top floor (Room 502) so that was nice.

I really wasn't impressed with breakfast, it had said continental so I was expecting a mix of pastries, rolls, meats etc. There was only a basket of rolls, one plate of cheese and one of ne type of meat, and some cereal - really not a great selection. My friends said the coffee and tea didn't taste great either.

The location is ok - took us about 10 mins to walk down into the old town (15 mins on the way back up due to it all being uphill!) We didn't go to the strip so don't know how long it would take to get there, but I'd imagine it would be quite a while as it seemed quite far away from where we were. Plenty of restaurants to eat at in the old town, check out my profile for the reviews of the places we ate in.

Overall, if you're on a tight budget or going away with friends from partying and some sun and want a cheap place to rest your head this is a great place to stay. I personally wouldn't stay here again as I prefer to stay somewhere with a bit more luxury or character.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2011

We stayed here in June and was expecting more after reading all the reviews. We arrived lunchtime and the first room the receptionist gave us was on the ground floor, you opened the terrace door and you literally fell in the pool. We asked to move and were told they only had one vacant room. This room was also on the ground floor but at the side of the hotel. We had a lovely view of a brick wall. The room had a musty smell probably due to the badly stained carpet. The bathroom was adequate.

The hotel is a bit of a walk from the main square but we did not find this a problem (even the hill). The hotel could be very nice, the view from the reception window is amazing, but it needs updating or a good spruce up.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple