Free cancellation until 27/07
US$221
  • Restaurant
Velamar Boutique Hotel(Albufeira)(Great Value!)
US$184
US$154
Savings alert! 29% below average rates

The price you found is 29% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$217/night.

US$152
US$195
Free cancellation until 25/07
US$373
1,097 results
All reviewsred barsea viewself cateringindoor poolfootball pitchold townkids clubfamily holidaygreat family hotelsun loungershuge balconyonsite shopmini marketwhole complexpools are greatgreat holidaymin walk
Reviewed 8 August 2011

A little bit of everything I have read on trip advisor about this hotel is true. Ive just returned from a 10 day stay there. The apartments are spacious and have been designed well, we had a 2 bedroomed one which was a bit of a suprise as I thought we would be getting just the 1. The staff in the restaurant and red bar are fantastic but it is understaffed. The food is ok, could always find something to eat. We were all inclusive, which I was a bit doubtful about at first, but it was a good move considering how expensive everything is now. Entertainment not that good but bearable if your sat there with a cocktail overlooking the pool! Very little for older kids but my boy met some lovely friends (Hi Jack, Ben and Josh!) which really made the holiday for him. One thing that really impressed me was that there is no saving of sunbeds there, a member of staff just comes along with a bin liner and swoops all towels left unattended in the morning away! Loved that!

5  Thank jayduvet
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We have just returned from an 11 night stay at the Alfagar 2 Apartments with an 8 year old. Think we probably had the best apartment in the place, it was massive and the balcony was huge with 3 patio doors to choose from! We paid for a sea view but I wasn't expecting what we got, there was sea everywhere you looked the view was fantastic I couldn't get enough of it!

Well enough about the apartment you've probably guessed I was happy with it! The hotel was very modern and clean. I found the food good most of the time, although I would say that the breakfasts and the lunches were the best. You could always find something to eat, both adults and children. Replenishment was sometimes a bit slack but they were so busy and worked their socks off in the restaurant, although the restaurant was a bit on the small side compared to all inclusive accommodation that I have been been to before and there was a bit of a queue to get in at breakfast time if you left it too late.

The pool area was fantastic, lots of sunbeds and the waterslides were great my daughter loved them. The First Choice kids club was a blessing yet again my daughter loved going there and it gives mum and dad a couple of hours break and it's good to get them out of the sun for a bit too.

The only negative is the evening entertainment which is lacking but we knew that before we went so it was no surprise. The downside of this is that you are getting nagged for a euro here and a euro there all night for the many machines dotted around for the kids but there was nothing else for them to do so couldn't blame them really. The decking area was lovely and it was nice to just sit there with a drink and chill. There was a few nights where they had entertainment including a Karaoke every Sunday which was good. You also have the Alfagar 1 apartments next door, they have entertainment most nights but the all inclusive isn't valid here so you have to pay for your drinks but it is a change of scenery if you fancy it.

Also be aware that there is only one bar open at any one time which wasn't a problem until we had a massive thunderstorm one day, so when everyone had to go under cover in the hotel there was no way of getting a snack or drink from the pool bar without getting soaked in the process as the hotel bar doesn't open until 4pm. We thought they might open early given the weather situation but that was not the case!

The new town (the strip) is approx 20 mins stroll from the apartments if you fancy getting out for the night but the old town is a bit further so you have to rely on taxi's to get there and back which we found to be a bit of a nightmare! We were told that they do not have enough taxi's to cope with the demand in July & August so be prepared to wait approx an hour to get a taxi back if you venture out to the old town in busy times. We asked our rep about a bus service but her view was that they were expensive and unreliable so the only other option would be to hire a car if you want to get out and about.

To sum up, we would probably return to these apartments on a self catering basis (no longer doing all inclusive from next year) as they are very well equipped and we would hire a car so we could get around when we wanted to. Despite them not been set up for bad weather and the lack of evening entertainment, I can't recommend this hotel highly enough, thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and hope to return there soon!

6  Thank GriffithsA
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We have just returned from a fab week's stay at the Alfagar II Aparthotel. What a great holiday!
The rooms are very spacious, comfortable, tastefully decorated and well equipped with a massive balcony with sunbeds, table and chairs. Also TV with built in DVD and lots of English channels.
Food was great - good varied selection, excellent quality and very fresh.
The staff couldn't be lovelier,
although very sparse at the bar! But what they lack in bar staff they more than make up for in maids - the hotel is spotlessly clean, in every nook and cranny!
First Choice Kids' Club is excellent. My 5-year old couldn't wait to go each day, and the staff are great - felt totally at ease leaving her in their care. The chocolate party is insane, but the kids love it!
Pool area is extra special - great pools, loads of sunbeds and brilliant water slides for kids (and big kids too!!).
A fabulous holiday, would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2011
6  Thank Keeno1971
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We are a family of four (eldest, 6 , youngest, nearly 2). We were on an all inclusive package for 7 nights. Our apartment was large, airy, clean and well equipped. The balcony was large and with a sea view (we paid extra on booking). The air con was a little hit and miss, but staff were helpful when approached. The pool area, snack bar and 'red' bar were all clean, child friendly and well stocked. The three pools were fabulous and were clean with good availability of sun loungers and umbrellas. The kids pool with the slides and water playground were where we spent most of our time.
We ventured into Albufeira New and Old Town, but were a bit disappointed. Having said that, the Fisherman's Taverna in Old Town saved the day out as the food was fresh, fabulous and the waiter service was great!
The waiters and waitresses at Alfagar were friendly, efficient and always made time to have a quick chat with the children. We would like to especially like to mention Zabella, Carlos and Maria. Ricardo and Carlos run the Red Bar during the evening and they serve quickly and efficiently despite some queueing during busier times.
One thing we haven't seen mentioned in the reviews is the Kids Club. Fay and Lauren have so much energy and provide really interesting activities and themed evenings for the children. Sessions are a couple of hours with most days two sessions being run. Our youngest was too young (club starts at 3) but our 6 year old had a brilliant time and couldn't wait for each session.
The quality of the food was fine. Lots of range, a bit beige, but cooked well and refreshed constantly during service. The table wine was a little dodgy, but the beer was free flowing for the asking; always served with a smile.
Entertainment was poor, but this allowed us to make our own entertainment. Talking with other guests and being able to relax without being bombarded by loud music and acts. A special mention must be made of the magician who was fun and kept the children's attention throughout his show.
The beach was very diffcult to get to with two children and wasn't on the doorstep as promised in the brochure. The pool more than made up for this on our holiday.
We went on two trips - Zoomarine and a Pirate Boat trip. Both were well worth the money. Our boat trip was for two hours and left from Gate 4 in Albufeira Marine. The captain and crew were dressed as pirates and encouraged parents and children to follow suit. There was a little stop for swimming (The Atlantic is very cold!) This was a lovely finale to a relaxing, child friendly holiday. All that we wanted.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view-well worth it. Ask to be overlooking the astro turf.
2  Thank Thewilde
Reviewed 31 July 2011

The Alfagar ll was a lovely clean and modern hotel, the rooms were huge and well catered, unfortunately ours overlooked a construction site. The kids (10 & 7) loved the pool, slides and the pool bar snacks! They attended the kids clubs, these were a mix of free and paid sessions. I must mention Fay Ray and Lucky Lauren, my girls loved them.
The food was not as nice as some hotels I have been to, but there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, just different. We were AI and I must say if we had of been paying for meals I wouldn’t of been happy as I felt they were a little bit expensive. The staff were very friendly and efficient, they worked all hours and were always happy to help.
There is a lovely beach at the foot of Alfagar l and some lovely walks off the beaten track which my husband and I took. The beach would be difficult to get to if you had walking difficulties but there is another way down a road which takes abit longer, still quite steep though.
My one gripe would have to be the nightly entertainment or rather lack of it! There were a couple of poor quality shows put on, I’m sorry I don’t want to go on holiday and listen to karaoke and bad karaoke at that. Some of it was gringeworthy! There was also a reptile show, they showed up took the animals out, the kids had their photo taken, paid 10 euro’s and that was that! As a result there were a lot of children running around making their own amusement. I must add my husband actually preferred the lack of entertainment and thought it was more relaxing, so I suppose it depends on what you are looking for. There was a lovely seating area outside the Red Bar and we tried to nab a settee most nights.
There is a bus running from the hotel to Albufeira Town everyday for about 80 cents each at 10.30am and back at 2.30pm, or you can get a taxi for around 5 - 6 euro's.
All in All we had a lovely holiday and I would return to this hotel.