“melt in the mouth flemish stew”
Review of Den Anker

Den Anker
Ranked #34 of 129 Restaurants in Ieper (Ypres)
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Restaurant den anker ligt in het hoekje van de marktIedereen is welkom van groot tot kleinWij staan open voor groepenWees welkom!
Reviewed 26 January 2018

We were in Ypres for 4 nights - and ate here for 3 of them (only because we didn't find this place the first night). Personally I am always cautious of stews, as I'm a bit picky & can't stand fat & gristle - so I let the others have the stew while I had mussels. the mussels were delicious (& a massive portion), but i had stew the other 2 times - obscenely tender, beautiful flavours & enough to feed you twice over.
Staff were also very attentive & helpful

1  Thank LandyTrav

Reviewed 25 January 2018

I have been to Ypres many times on my WW1 travels and have tried a lot of the restaurants in the centre of town, but now I only go to Den Anker, and no matter how many people I am travelling with, they always fit us in. The food is excellent, the service friendly and attentive. The restaurant is beautiful inside and out. I wouldn't go anywhere else now.

2  Thank Julie S
Reviewed 31 December 2017

Ate here one evening with a friend whilst staying in Ypres and it was our favourite of the restaurants we tried in the square. The food was excellent, it luckily wasn't too busy as it was later in the evening and so the staff were happy to let us sit chatting with drinks after our meal without us feeling pressured to leave and make way for more customers. We had a lovely relaxing evening and next time we are in Ypres again together it will be top of our list for where to eat. It was very welcoming and relaxing and we were disappointed to not be able to fit another visit into our trip as was the best food we had at the square restaurants. The prawns were heavenly and the steak was excellent. Great food, great service, great atmosphere and a wonderful evening!

1  Thank Trolleycase
Reviewed 26 December 2017

I was part of a large coach tour which went to Den Anker where we found ourselves at two long tables. The meal had been pre-ordered (everyone had steak) and my steak duly arrived. It was thin and very chewy and after a few mouthfuls decided to send it back. I had been to Den Anker a number of times before so was a little surprised that not only myself but a number of other people had chewy steaks. I sent the steak back and the staff were polite and agreed it was not good. The second steak was just magnificent and is one of the best steaks I have ever had - and I have had a lot coming from Australia.

Reviewed 9 December 2017

We were recommended to try this restaurant by the owner of a nearby bar. He said we would enjoy it and he was bang on. We sat by an open fire after watching the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate and had a fabulous meal. Great end to a very moving and memorable evening.

1  Thank Gary F