“Excellent mussles!”

Price range: US$15 - US$25
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2017

Excellent food, fresh, delicious mussels! The interior is modest, but nice. The staff is very friendly. We had a blast!

Reviewed 24 April 2017

Having never been to Ostend found this restaurant by chance quite late (around 21:00) and liked the fact that it seemed busy and unostentatious. You are met with a tight open view cooking space with the female owner (I assumed) frantically cooking, organising, preparing plating up. The menu was not over-burdened with choice (a good thing, I find). Lots of different ways of serving steamed mussles (in terms of variety of sauces), steaks, fish of the day etc all at what I deem to be at reasonable prices (15-25 Euros). We both ordered entrecote steak cooked rare (mine with a pepper and cream sauce; my brother had his with fried mushrooms). The steak was cooked just as we ordered and was a genuine whole entrecote steak fairly thickly cut. It was excellent as was the sauce and accompanying frites. The bill with drinks (3 beers each) came to around 70 Euros which was very good value for what we had. It is obviously a popular place and if the cook was the owner then she deserves to be successful because she certainly 'put in a shift' that evening, washing up immediately the last meal had been cooked and delivered! The only issue I would have is with the service. Don't get me wrong; the waitress was efficient and polite but we waited nearly half-an-hour for a drink after being given the menu. If you give the customers a drink then my experience is that they are likely to understand a half-an-hour wait to place their order. She was spectacularly adept at not making eye-contact in the time that we waited to order! Having said that, the time between placing the order and it being cooked and served was a matter of minutes (and because the small open-plan kitchen was next to the downstairs dining area, you could watch it being cooked!

1  Thank Ben B
Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

The best mussels in Ostend and a marvellous steak with fresh made sauce always very friendly very good value for money and frech fish delivery every day

1  Thank DeTurf
Reviewed 24 February 2017 via mobile

What a delicious, house warm feeling you get, once you enter this wonderful place, even though you wouldn't have thought that, standing in front of it.
It is one of the only places I have ever encountered where people are actually waiting outside,patiently, no matter the weather circumstances, to enjoy a good, simple meal at very reasonable prices !
Small and larger tables, privacy doesn't really matter here and nobody seems to mind at all, it's just a blend of different people, gathering together for the same purpose, enjoying a wonderful meal in these humble but warm surroundings.
Most people enjoy a big pot of steaming mussels with Belgian fries or a nice fish, fresh from the sea.
Not to forget the big steaks, with a lovely mushroom cream sauce for example, not a few but a whole bowl full of them, try to manage that !
You can watch the chef cooking this feast of Flanders food, always using nice butter to work with.
Needless to say that you can't go wrong here, no matter what you choose from the menu !
Just try it out when you're in the neighborhood and you'll soon know what I mean !

Reviewed 13 February 2017

I revisited Kombuis with friends and thought it would be worth to update my former review dd Dec 2011.
Whereas five yrs ago they served the best mussels you could find in Ostend, this time I certainly cannot say the same: there are certainly a few better spots to be found, eg De Ton, in front of the airport of Ostend. About one fifth of the mussels where brown and shrinked, due to overcooking. The remark by another customer, complaining about the price of wines is absolutely correct, and I should add the same remark for the food. But then, taxes for restaurants lately skyrocketed in Belgium. To find the restaurant half full/empty on a Saturday is also an indication: we used to queue there...
On the other (positive) hand, one of my partners, not liking mussels, choose for shrimp croquettes and found them perfect. If there were an option for ***1/2 stars, with a qualification "good", I would gladly give this score, as the resto is worth more than "average", but very good would be overrated.