“Average hotel, great location”

Hotel 't Voermanshuys
Ranked #69 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Runcorn, United Kingdom
“Average hotel, great location”
Reviewed 16 July 2011

My partner and I have been traveling around Europe and had saved Bruges for our last location, so we’ve been in all kinds of hotel rooms for roughly the same price. The plus points first and foremost are the location- a fairly quiet street but puts you in the center of Bruges. I think it depends what side of the hotel and what day you stay, but we were woken at 6am with lots of beer barrels being delivered to the restaurant across the street. Sounds like they’re in the room with you!
We were delighted to have a lift in the hotel. Really didn’t expect that and it very much helps out when you’ve been up and down so many flights of stairs with luggage. Warmish welcome with plenty of advice of where to go and a map, and where we could park the car.
The rooms are a decent size but were very tired and if I’m honest, pretty depressing. Wallpaper was peeling and duct tape was used in a few areas of the bathroom. We couldn’t sit in either of the chairs in the room as they were both very fragile and wobbly. Decent little TV with English speaking channels which was great. We liked the bathroom and were fine with the weird shower thingy. It seems to be the standard in many places in Europe and there’s a knack to it. Once you know that, it’s easy enough, so we didn’t mind. Good towels and Dove in the bathroom.
The breakfast was lovely and fresh. Warm rolls and breads with ham and cheese etc. As much tea or coffee as you like. Really nice breakfast room too.
The biggest issue we had with the hotel is a sensitive one, which I was wondering if anyone else had had, but it seems not from the other reviews. Both my partner and I were eaten alive with flea bites while we were there. Both nights. If it had been one of the days etc, I would have considered it to be somewhere else we’d been, but we got them over night. Also, I found a ‘plug in’ repellent in our room when I went to plug in my phone charger. Thought it was an air freshener at first, but I don’t think so. I could be totally wrong, and I hope so, but our bites co-inside with us sleeping in the hotel.

Room Tip: Take insect repellent.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kazzrip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Turkish first
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 2 July 2011

This little B&B is so well located in the very heart of Bruges old town. It is spotlessly clean and cared for and has heaps of charm. We stayed for 2 nights and were very comfortable, with a lovely soft bed and fresh inviting bed linen. As others have said, the hand held shower is a small nuisance but nothing to deter a traveller from staying here.

Our bedroom was quite large as was the bathroom, so plenty of space to spread out. The decor is quite basic with the essential furniture -certainly not flash but full of charm. The breakfast room is very quaint , neat and light. The breakfast itself is fresh but fairly basic with not much choice, but it is served with so much care and attention to detail that you couldn't help but enjoy it.

The B&B is very quiet, despite being so well located. From our window we looked onto a small courtyard with roses growing over stone walls and had a lovely view of the Bruges skyline, with its wonderful old roofs and church steeples. So pretty. The owners are very friendly and attentive and made the stay a real pleasure. We also felt it was very good value for money.

We would certainly consider staying in the t'Voermanshuys B&B again when we hopefully visit Bruges a second time. What a beautiful city. - don't miss it. It's main claims to fame (apart from it's fantastic buildings) are beer and chocolate - how can you go wrong with that!

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room facing the back
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
San Mateo Ca
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We stayed here in April 2010 after crossing from London on the Eurostar then train direct from Brussels which is included in the Eurostar ticket.. Took the bus to town center square and the hotel is just around from.there so great location. Friendly greeting at the front desk in small lobby. Room nice size just off the elevator location. Yes, the hand held shower is a nuisance but that is the only complaint. Breakfast room had shelf of books left by others so I traded one for another (English). The whole family is involved with the hotel so they care how you see their service and rooms. Wholeheartedly recommended!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Goldig
St. Louis
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We were in Bruges on June 7 and my brother in law found this hotel. Not your typical cookie cutter hotel by any means! Only 9 guests rooms, family run, and if you are expecting Marriott/Hilton this isn't the place for you. If you want a hotel with a lot of charm, old world character, in a 16th century building, located terrifically in the heart of Bruges then this is the place for you. I personally loved this hotel because it wasn't the typical type of hotel I normally stay in. My wife, 6 year old daughter and I stayed in one room and it was plenty spacious. My brother and sister in law stayed in the room right next door. Bathrooms were good size, beds were very comfortable and you cannot beat the location. Breakfast is included in the price which was about 109 Euro. The rolls were absolutely delicious! I had 4! Very nice breakfast spread and the breakfast room was my favorite room in the hotel. I loved Bruges and if we come back we will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 24 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend in Bruges while on a vacation. The location is perfect - walkable from the train station, and SO close to everything you want to see while in Bruges. The value is also amazing - we paid just over $100/night for full breakfast and an elevator right in the heart of where you want to be!! It seems to be a family-run hotel, too - the innkeeper checks you in and his family serves you breakfast in the sunny, well-decorated breakfast room. The rooms are fairly basic, and our bathroom didn't have a shower head (just one of those annoying hand-held wands common throughout Europe), but we didn't want for anything and enjoyed being able to run back to the room for a sweater/umbrella/bathroom break while exploring the city. Our room stayed comfortable with the large operable windows and view of the gorgeous Belgian architecture. Food was expensive in Bruges, so we were glad to have saved money on our hotel!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple