“Superb, 5* dining”

Baobab
Price range: US$23 - US$70
Cuisines: International
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: World cuisine, South African specialties, gluten and lactose free meals made to order. Reserving a table is highly recommended. MOTTO: "We don't serve fast food but fresh food as fast as we can."
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We walked around Bruges looking for the perfect restaurant for my partners birthday when we stumbled onto this gem! It's not too far from the main square but just quite enough to have a relaxing meal. We were greeted by a very friendly and upbeat gentleman, who I believe was the owner. He showed us to the table, the restaurant was not overly crowded, just enough people for a pleasant ambiance, and we were given some nibbles to start with. We ordered our food and to start we I had the full prawns, which if you're like me and don't mind ripping at them, we're beautifully cooked! My partner began with chicken livers which he said were equally as nice. For main we both had the safari kebab. At the beginning I was thinking this was very highly priced at €29.50, as a kebab to me is some meat stuck in between a pita bread which you eat whilst intoxicated. However, when the kebab came it was incredible. It was a mixture of zebra and ostrich meat which were both cooked to how I asked them. Also as it is African food I was slightly cautious as I do not eat many spicy foods but the spices were kept at the side of the plate so you could apply them as and when you wanted to. The service whilst we were eating as well was impeccable! I would recommend this place to anyone who would like a bit of a change to the usual conventional meats.

Date of visit: December 2013

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Lovely little find, food was fantastic, the services couldn't be faulted with owner explaining the food, how it was cooked etc. Lovely warm welcoming atmosphere! My ownly criticsism being they don't except card, so I had to run to a cash point. No a massive negative by any means, just rather embarrassing. Would happily go back!

Date of visit: December 2013
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Boa Bab located on Philipstockstraat, not far from the main market square near the bell tower.
Well worth searching out this small restaurant. Freshly prepared first class ingredients, excellently cooked on the spot and served by the garrulous host. If we ever go back to this beautiful city we will definitely eat at the Boa Bab again.

Date of visit: November 2013
Reviewed 30 October 2013

South African dining operated by a couple the guy up front and the lady is the chef. Great small restaurant with plenty of veggie, meat and fish options. The food is cooked there in the raised kitchen area, freshly prepared for you, so don't expect a quick dining experience. What you get is a tantalising array of flavours, beautifully and artfully presented. Enjoy the time over a south

Date of visit: October 2013
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Dropped in here as they're one of the few restaurants to offer gluten free choices, which always makes my partners evening easier. I'm so pleased we did!

The menu draws on the owners knowledge and experiences with South African food to offer a good range of dishes with flavours and tastes ranging from SA to European favourites. The meals are presented well and with good portions. I particularly liked the Safari Kebab, based different game meat sourced in SA.

This is a family run restaurant with husband and wife team. The host is charming and friendly and strikes up a good rapport mixed with some pleasant humour. His wife is a super chef and prepared the meal to perfection.

One note to remember, the cash dispenser is about 5 mins away! In keeping with other smaller establishments this one no longer accepts cards due to the high charges they have to pay and don't wish to have to pass one to clients. On the brighter side, I was able to leave my wife as deposit while I went for cash!

Highly recommended and I will definitely visit the next time I'm in Bruges.

Date of visit: October 2013