“Belgium's Best B&B Host?”

Sint Andries Cruyse
Ranked #118 of 232 Bruges B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I put a question mark after this title, because this is the only B&B I've experienced in Belgium; however, it is difficult to imagine a better B&B experience. This beautiful canal-side home in Bruges is on the register of historic places. My husband and I stayed two nights in the "Black and White" room, overlooking a lovely back garden. We had a large room with a big wall-mounted flat screen TV, comfortable bed, table and chairs, and large wardrobe. A separate large bathroom, spotlessly clean, offered a clawfoot tub. Both rooms were separated from the hallway with a locking door -- a true private and quiet suite.

Our host Luc could not have been better to us -- he picked us up at the train station, important for me because of advanced arthritis -- and he was available to make a delicious breakfast for us at our requested time. The breakfast room offered a small refrigerator with beers and Cokes available for all guests, plus a generous bottle of Grand Marnier and two other liqueurs set out on a side table. Our room had a dish of chocolates on the table. When I inquired about some photographs in the breakfast room, Luc filled us in on his family and grandsons. When we asked about a pub we wanted to visit, Luc gave excellent walking directions. He also kindly drove us back to the train station for an early morning departure.

The house is beautiful, clean, and inviting. The only possible "minus" I can note is that the wifi signal is not strong in the bedroom -- but we had only to move our laptop into the breakfast room and the signal was fine. This is a very small detail in the long list of superlatives we enjoyed at Gastenhuis Sint-Andriescruyse in the fascinating and romantic city of Bruges.

Room Tip: The Black & White Room is on the side away from the canal, so probably quieter. However, we pee...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 3Islanders

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Right on the canal, convenient location and spacious accommodations, but very personal because it is a guesthouse (B&B for Americans). Luc is a very attentive, but not intrusive, host who is genuinely interested in people and places they come from, as well as a good source of information.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rod D
Reviewed 31 December 2013

if you're going to Bruges, Belgium you'll never find a better B&B than Sint Andries Cruyse. Luc, the owner and host, is the nicest gentleman you'll every meet. We cannot say enough kind things about Luc. This man runs a simply outstanding B&B. We had one of the 2nd floor rooms overlooking the canal. The room was huge with two large antique armoires, two large beds, a spacious bathroom and terrific view of the canal. Luc's house is conveniently located within a 3 to 4 minute walk of the Markt or Market Square. We spent 3 nights and wished we had spent a week. Luc gave us outstanding recommendations on restaurants, tourist attractions, etc. One great recommendation he gave us was to spend an afternoon on a bike ride out to the town of Damme. We packed a lunch and followed the bike trail out to Damme. What a wonderfully relaxing afternoon.

Room Tip: Stay with a local, learn from a local, enjoy the wisdom and advise from a local. Luc is the best!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cgardier
Reviewed 21 August 2013

This was just a great place to stay and I would go back here time and time again if I had that luxury. The list of things wonderful about this place is LONG, so let's just get the few cautionary notes out of the way: the circular stairs are steeps and narrow, you may be sharing a toilet room with other rooms, and you will have mosquitoes in your room at night if you don't shut the windows. Okay, cautionary notes done, here's the wonderfulness about this inn.

For starters, you would be hard pressed to find a hotelier who takes more care and concern for his guests than Luc. From train station pick-ups to baggage drop offs, beautifully prepared breakfasts and energetically-shared information about Bruges, thoughtfully prepared rooms and always a truly interested question about your day. Always there, but never intrusive, Luc is precisely what all hoteliers should be!

The inn's setting is beautiful. I had thought about walking into town on Monday night to hear the carillon concert at the main square, but I realized I was hearing the bells well from my room. Then I discovered that not only could I hear the bells, but I could SEE the tower from by bathroom window. I think the fact that I hung out the window listening to the bells for the better part of an hour is why we got so many mosquitoes in the room. I am really itchy now, but the sounds of the bells lingering in my ear is more than enough compensation.

The location is really easy to move through town to and from --close enough to the center to be there for lunch and museums, far enough out to have quick access to laundromat and windmills. The neighbourhood was quiet and safe by night, bustling by day.

There really isn't anything more that can be asked of an inn or hotelier! Indulge and enjoy!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SyrinxSounds
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at Sint Andries Cruyse for one night (June 9) and had a wonderful stay. I can't say enough about how accommodating Luc was during our stay. In May/June we travelled for 35 days and stayed at 12 to 14 different locations. Luc was by far the most accommodating host of them all.

He picked us up at the train station, gave us a brief driving tour of the city and highlighted a short cut to market square. He also spent time highlighting things we might want to see first, given our short stay.

Here is the real kicker, the next morning we had a 6:30am train on our way to York, not only was Luc willing to drive us to the train but he got up and made us a FULL breakfast (with eggs etc) at 5:30am. Where have you stayed with that kind of service?

The location was very good (maybe 1/3 mile to Market Square); very quiet on a canal. Price was very competitive. Overall a sweet stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple