“Nice restaurant, just too expensive”

L'idiot du Village Legasc SA
Ranked #253 of 4,048 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

Nice little restaurant, cozy and attractive environment. We were seeking to try it for a while, then we decided to step in: first impression has been very good, perfect for couples. Choice of main dishes is actually not so broad,so we ended in choosing 2 starters and one main dish. Quality of food is very good, just a little surprise on the bill which was, compared to what we ordered, surprisingly high.

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

Our second visit to this wonderful restaurant.

The interior is casual and looks like it has been picked up from flea markets but it is very tastefully done

The staff is very educated about the menu and wine list which by the way is of very high quality. Attentive without hanging in your shoulder

Now to the food. Who would have thought that scallops and curry went together? We had, besides scallops, veal, lamb and pear tart. The latter would have benefitted with some sour cream or vanilla ice.

Lovely, lovely experience which we will try and re-create again soon

Reviewed 30 August 2017

Sorry for the delay in writing this review. Sorry I wrote september 2016 as it was the earliest option, I was there 2 years ago. I visited a restaurant today which reminded to write this review about L'idiot du Village
I heard and read reviews about this restaurant. Many people from the UK wrote their bad experience with how rudely they were treated. I was intrigued to find out for myself. I am writing this to describe my own experience with complete honesty and respect the bad experience that others had.
1- The setting: a quirky harry potter style small restaurant that I found artistic in every way. there were tapes on the wall, patched curtains...etc. Something fascinating in every corner, strangely enough even the guests!!! The low lighting added successfully to the magic in the air.
2- Staff, the manager (or I think he is) is your usual rigid French host that, although seem offending, is actually part of the entertainment. Try to be inspired by the restaurant name. He did not spare more than 1 minute to superficially translate the menu which is in French. But then again, we are in Brussels. I guess not so many of our menus are translated to French, Spanish...etc.
3- Time from order to food on table was 40 min. Average-to-long
4- Food. A spiritual level. I extremely appreciate how a chef can create the ultimate taste from simple few ingredients. This was it. The experience is still with me since my visit in 2015.
Two dishes of excellence in my humble opinion. The food was cooked to the very precise time to give the desired texture and taste, marinated carefully and mixed with pleasantly unexpected extra ingredients that gave that extra kick. I will not tell you what are the ingredients first so as not to spoil the surprise for you and second because I am not entirely sure what they were!!! it is just that milligram-perfect mixture of all what's needed. My best regards to the artist who created them
I stayed there watching people around me. Most of the guests who were there came to enjoy every minute of their time. They came before us and were there even after we left. I myself stayed for 90 minutes and kept on eating my food small bite at a time. you don't want to rush this feeling.
5- Wine: your average red wine but that did not spoil the evening a bit.
6- Cost; More than your average restaurant, expect to pay more than 100 euros for 2 people. To me I would pay much more for the same experience.
If you ask me whether I go back again or not, I would say I would go back again to Brussels just to go to that restaurant.
Take the whole lot as entertainment. A person who traveled a lot and experienced many traditions and cultures will find this restaurant extremely enjoyable.

Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

We came across this restaurant in the Lonely Planet guide - and what a find! It's so quaint, down a little side street with an unassuming facade. You step inside and it's crowded with tables and people enjoying delicious food. We were attended by a waitress on her first day but even so her attention to detail and ability to discuss the wine & food was good. We enjoyed the wonderful food - all fairly local to Brussels we believed.

It's not a cheap meal but it was a treat and we would definitely recommend it. It was just over €120 for two of us, two courses & wine so that's the guide.

Reviewed 14 May 2017 via mobile

I cannot understand how anyone, including foodies and gourmets could have written such outstanding reviews. The place is very small and crammed, the welcoming far from warm, the service was average at best and the cuisine did not display pleasant nor harmonious food combinations. The presentation was unappealing to the eye. Expensive, but trendy.