“Good food & atmosphere, but ......”

Restaurant Sainte-Catherine
Ranked #660 of 3,549 Restaurants in Brussels
Cuisines: European, French, Belgian
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
ireland
“Good food & atmosphere, but ......”
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Visited earlier this week based on recommendations. Restaurant was not busy. A group of elderly ladies occupied one corner. They got increasingly noisy as the wine flowed. Great fun to watch and 'earwig'.
I was offered neither a wine list nor a menu, but this did not bother me as I had been forewarned. Foodwise I went for the grilled lamb which was excellent - cooked to perfection and served with a genuine smile.
I really liked this restaurant but I am not sure I would be in a hurry back. Why?
I prefer to make my own decisions on meals and wine. I indicated my preference for red wine and a half bottle of Rasteau was produced. I was not really in the mood for a beefy 14.5% rhone (in fact a beaujolais would have worked better with the lamb) but I wasn't asked. I would have preferred pommes frites rather than a baked potato, but I was not asked. Also there was the sense of wonder about the bill - how much would it be?
A litlemore attention to the service would make this restaurant excellent.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank santiagowalking

“Rustic inelegant but charming”
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Good beer and wine, and enthusiastically prepared food within view in the tiny kitchen, this place is totally charming. The proprietor works the tables and ensures all have a good time. Worth seeking out.

1 Thank Drewsif
“Great value for your money!”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Very good food at a reasonable price. Unpretentious family restaurant serving local food. We had both fish and beef from the grill. Both of us were very pleased. Clams or shimps for starters is also a winner!

1 Thank Balutas
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Cosy little restaurant with a very warm welcome”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I made a reservation by phone before travelling and the owner was very careful to check that we knew exactly where his restaurant was - a good start. I made the choice after checking Tripadvisor reviews and noted the occasional disppointment of people who had obviously expected something grander (ie hadn't read the reviews properly-something I have noticed for other destinations). Our experience was very similar to the numerous highly favourable reviews. The restaurant is quite small (around 10 tables inside with few more on the pavement) but is very cosy with a warm feel. The staff are all very helpful and welcoming and the chef/patron is indeed a character. He gets involved in all aspects of the service from checking that you understand the menu (there is an engish version of the A la carte), taking orders and, of course, cooking. This may have led to a mix up with one of our main courses, which had been forgotten. In any other restaurant that may have spoilt the meal, but my wife and I always share courses and it was quickly rectified with a lot of good humour. In fact we enjoyed it so much that we returned two nights later and once more had an excellent meal and evening. The steaks and the prawns were particular highlights but all the food was good and reasonably priced and the atmosphere was great.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank DavidL70
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great and friendly way to see in the new year”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We ate here on new years eve after we couldn't find the first restaurant we were looking for , but knew this place had good reviews. We were given a warm welcome but weren't sure what to expect when there were no menus and the choice was "meat or fish". We needn't have worried as we had delicious starters of foie gras, scallops and prawn, then the biggest hunk of fillet de boeuf you've ever seen. Like the other reviews say it's not pretentious cooking but it is tasty. The owner/chef is also a great character shouting from the kitchen how we like our steaks cooked but this only added to the restaurants charm. If you like good food in a laid back fun restaurant do not hesitate to visit!

1 Thank Mhooper12