“Nice lunch with friends.”
Review of My Italian Friends

My Italian Friends
Ranked #14 of 148 Restaurants in Waterloo
Price range: US$16 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 May 2018

Met two friends for lunch on a Saturday. Two of us ordered the antipasto board and the other a goat cheese salad. We paired this with the house wines (red and white). Everything was delicious. No dessert but coffee. Also yummy. Service good and we were allowed to chat without feeling pressured. Will definitely return.

Reviewed 23 April 2018

Lovely atmosphere, lovely terrace, and table for 8 in the sun.

Our waiter was clearly not very happy but we all tried to cheer him up.

It was just such a shame about some of the food portions. Myself and a friend ordered a vegetarian salad which promised grilled vegetables on a mixed salad. It was lacking in the vegetables and we had to search for the vegetables, it was really just a plate of lettuce and more lettuce, after a while I was eating so much lettuce I had to stop and others on the table were giving us their food to put in the salad as it was so bare. Its not cheap either so we both felt quite annoyed as we were paying full price for mainly just a variety of lettuce, the dressing was also very bland and the salad had no taste.

Dessert our waiter sold us the meringue and strawberries with chocolate ice-cream, we were all so shocked when just 2-3 tiny pieces of broken off macaroon were placed with 2 halved strawberries, we did have a tasty compott of strawberries over the top iand a very very small spoon of ice-cream which was very tasty but tiny. Some ladies asked for no ice-cream but more merengue and sadly they seemed to get even less than us! to be honest 2 mouthfuls and the desert was gone. Again not cheap so quite disappointed.

The goats cheese salad also was lacking in goats cheese and feel still not enough for a main meal.

We were all still hungry afterwards.

Again nice atmosphere, great sunny terrace, normally happy servers and we love Italian friends so we all were quite sad the food was not as good as it was in the past, we just felt portions were small and they were cutting costs.

We did point it out when we paid but there was no discount for our meal, we had some lovely Prosecco but quite an expensive meal for what we really got which was a snack, but maybe we are paying for the garden terrace....After we all split the bill I ended up paying 47 euros for 3 lovely glasses of Prosecco but a lot of lettuce and half a macaroon and 2 strawberries.

Feel quite let down.

Nathalie C, Propriétaire at My Italian Friends, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Hi Thank you for your comment. I'm very sad about it. My colleagues didn't tell me about your bad experience. Our aim is clearly not to give you such a bad experience. My English is not good, so, if you agree, I would like to discuss directly with you about this problem. Since 10 years we do our best to make our customer happy. And I would be very happy to show you that it is still the case and that we made probably an error during your last visit. Best regards. Nathalie

Reviewed 24 January 2018

Went there for lunch during the week. Very relaxed and laid back place that serves good food and wine. For sure will go back there again!! Must be even nicer in the summer when all of the terraces are open.
I quite liked the resto set up at the back of a shop.

Reviewed 29 October 2017

When you first come in you go through a very delicate and good looking shop with clothes and different items for the home.
In the back you find the restaurant. We were greeted and showed to a table. The restaurant was almost empty but after 10 minutes we still hadn’t gotten a menu. I got up and got one myself. No harm done yet.
When a waiter finally swing our way, there were three of them, we ordered Vitellio Tonnato. A dish I have had many times and simply love.
When it came I was very disappointed. The veal looked very nice and thinly sliced but you really had to have a very good imagination to find the tuna sauce.
We asked for some additional sauce and after 20 minutes, we had by then eaten most of the veal, we got the smallest bowl imaginable to share from. I never really got the taste of tuna but there were glimpses of mayonnaise.
If you want to sell yourself as a fancy quite expensive restaurant, I hope for the owner, that this was a one time thing. I will never go back or recommend this restaurant. There are far too many good restaurants in the area to waste time and money here.

Nathalie C, Gérant at My Italian Friends, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2017

I'm really sad to read your comment. I apologize for the bad service you had and the food that was not served correctly. I'm the owner of the restaurant and would be very greatfull if you can give me personally your feedback. I would like to know the day you visited our restaurant in order to improve our service and the quantity of the food served. We hope you will agree to try a second time our restaurant in order to discover that we really put all our energy to give a good experience to our customers. Thank you very much in advance.

Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

We ordered the days special of courgette flower tempura followed by penne with tomatoes and buffala mozzarella. Absolutely yummy. You get to the restaurant through a boutique selling clothes and Italian foods. Unique.