All reviews no lift great location stairs are steep bars and restaurants floor centre
Reviewed 23 August 2018

In short, the hotel should be completely renovated! No breakfast, no bar, no reception most of the time. Dirty floorcovering. No view from the window, only roofs of other buildings. Positive is the location. In the info about the hotel Parking is mentioned, not what the cost is (€ 25 per 24 h). Info is misleading.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2018

The location is the best.
There is a free car park about a 3 min walk away on the riverbank.

The hotel has unique art deco charm - hight ceilings, big windows, great tile work.
It is very worn out though, which can add to the charm if it weren't so dirty.

The carpets haven't been cleaned for years, inside of drawers were really dirty, there were black curly hairs on the bathroom walls. The sheets and towels were clean and white though.

I would stay there again - especially because of the art deco charm and the great location. I just hope they put more stress on cleaning the place thoroughly :)

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

I think some of the reviews on here are unfair. Excellent location and surrounded by good bars, restaurants and shops. Decent price too. The receptionist was lovely as was the girl doing the cleaning. They work hard and deserve more credit. Breakfast was simple but tasty. Ok, the hotel is a bit shabby around the edges but you get what you pay for and for me it adds character to the place. Stairs are steep but hey, you’re in Antwerp! All buildings have steep stairs here so pointless moaning about having to carry your bag up them without any help. It’s not that kind of place. I stayed in room 2 on the 1st floor and it had a nice view over the square, bed was very comfortable and clean and the shower in the room was hot with good pressure. There was a shared toilet on the landing but that doesn’t bother me. I’d stay here again no problem

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 June 2018

Who thought that holding the wallpaper together with sticky tape would make grim & ageing wall covering look better? Seriously, who?

Upon arrival I was accused of being a solo traveler as I had booked into a room for two. Having requested a room at the front & at the top of the hotel I was disappointed to be told there was no such request & was shown the booking. My request was clearly stated at the bottom of the booking. The woman on reception had the good grace to apologise but as there was nothing left other than room 3 on the first floor overlooking the square.

The central location is great & the room was large & light, no WC but a shower glued into the corner & a sink. The mattresses were comfortable, the linen clean & cotton, the fibre pillow had been washed so often it felt like sleeping on a bag if socks. (At least they had been washed)

The carpet was some sort of grey industrial synthetic felt, old, highly stained and along with the wood near the shower unit, rotting. There is a Faux fireplace with a concrete pot holding a dusty fake Amaryllis on the mantelpiece. It was glued in place!!! Why? Would anyone even consider stealing it?

The rooms are reached by what could be a lovely original spiral staircase. This creates a void which any sound carries through the building. No effort is made to dampen any sound by carpeting the stairs, consequently the rooms are very noisy.
Room walls are so thin that I found sleep difficult due to the person in the room next door snoring.

Breakfast is very good but I felt really sorry for the poor woman who is: Receptionist, Breakfast setter. Washer up, Dealer of several complaints, This clever human speaks six languages and Ibet is on minimal wage. Get her some help........

She leaves the hotel at 6pm in the evening so no one on site till next morning. When a group of Mexican ladies arrived to check in at 2am they had to call a night number and while waiting to be let in were constantly banging on the windows (another sleepless night)

All in all its a very rundown hotel which with a comparatively small outlay could be great.

And if you can let me know about the stick taped wallpaper please let me know.

Room Tip: Top at back must be quieter
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

My fiancee and I stayed Saturday night. The hotel is well situated - about 10 minutes from the groete markt and there are bars and restaurants around. The park in front of the hotel is currently under construction but this wasn't an issue. Our room was nice, we had to share a toilet with the rest of the floor but we had our own shower. The room was nice and airy. The only possible issue I can foresee is that we were on the 4th floor with no lift. My partner and I didn't mind as we only had small backpacks and are fairly fit but I would hate to think of my parents who are in their 60s being put in the same situation.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple