All reviews hotel stay fresh fruit canal airport amsterdam centre netherlands bicycles luggage taxi
Reviewed 20 October 2018

Following my recent stay at this hotel I wrote the following to the manager.

14th Oct. My recent stay at your otherwise very pleasant hotel was spoilt by a few things.
1. An attempt was made to charge me extra (an upgrade) for the room that I had already booked and agreed a price for with you.
2. The lift, not for the first time I believe, was not working. The door would not open on the first and second floors when it arrived there. If you advertise a lift then it should be working. I got the impression that it was only used for those on crutches or in a wheelchair. Dutch canal house stairs are not good at my age particularly after walking the streets of Leiden.
3.The shower had obviously not been checked for some time as the jets were badly blocked.
4. I arrived in Leiden with plenty of Euros to pay the bill. On checkout I discover that two lots of €172.50 had already been charged to my credit card incurring a total of £9.09 for non sterling transactions. I believed that giving you my credit card details was insurance against a no-show or my leaving without paying.

I would be grateful for your comments.

16th Oct. Thank you for your reply. I would make these further comments.
Re the extra charge for room 4. Your member of staff laboriously studied our emails and came to the same conclusion as I did.
I studied the instructions for the lift in detail and would say that I am technically competent.. After a while I gave up and used the stairs. The following morning I told a member of staff about the problem. I cannot remember exactly what he said but it was discouraging. Nor did he show me where I might be going wrong.
It is standard hotel industry practice to put a hold on credit card funds to protect themselves. This I quite understand. I have never before had funds taken from my card prior to any hotel stay. Why you, or Dutch hotels in general, should act differently I do not understand. Under the circumstance I think a refund should be made to cover my bank charges, no working lift, poor shower and general inconvenience.

16th Oct. I have read your cancellation policy several times and see that today you have altered the wording. Very naughty!!

I should point out that the cancellation policy is the only indicator of their payment policy on their website. The alterations made on 16th saying that they would charge your card prior to your stay in any event have now (20th Oct) been removed!! I have not had any satisfaction from the managers replies.

Room tip: rooms 2 and 4 have canal views
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Receptie D, General Manager at Boutique Hotel De Barones van Leyden, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2018

Dear Sir,

Reviews are very important as they give a real time ‘view’ of a visit. But … sometimes they only give a reflexion of a person’s being. Yours will show the world what kind of type of guest you are. The type which will never be satisfied and will use websites like these to try to hurt an outstanding company.

If you wanted a room with a canal view, you need to pay for the upgrade. This is quite normal, and the information is stated on the website. Also stated on the website and the confirmation, the fact you must pay 100% upfront. If you do not agree, why did you book a room? And… strange… if you say you have been with us before, you known our payment methods. There is no point in pointing out faults where faults do not exist.

If you just had lowered your swords and would have understood that not all countries work the same, your stay would have been magnificent. Lucky for both of us, it was your last.

Kind regards,
DE BARONES VAN LEYDEN
The Management

Reviewed 28 July 2018

A boutique hotel with only 5 rooms this hotel is a revelation as soon as you enter the door. Beautifully decorated. My room 4 overlooked the gracht towards Kerk Mare. The room itself was lovely with a huge bathroom. With a love of fresh air the bonus was being able to open the windows. There is a lift to convey your luggage to your room. Within walking distance to city centre, shops & restaurants. The very professional, warm & kind owner transported me to his other hotel, Huys van Leyden, for me to stow my luggage and relax on the terrace for the hours I had before my flight out of Schiphol. I had a lovely lunch & a taxi was ordered for me to take me to Schiphol. Unbelievably the Hotel Huys van Leyden is even more beautiful than De Barones Van Leyden. I highly recommend both hotels.

Room tip: Ask for one overlooking the canal. The view is lovely.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Receptie D, General Manager at Boutique Hotel De Barones van Leyden, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2018

Dear Mrs Knoop. Thank you so much for your wonderful review. This is a review we keep in our hart!
We are very glad you have enjoyed your stay, the room, our own hotel shuttle taxi, and the ambiance of our historical hotels. Hopefully we will meet again.

Kind regards,
DE BARONES VAN LEYDEN & HUYS VAN LEYDEN

Reviewed 28 May 2018

(This review is tardy, but I feel like this place is worth pointing out.)
We chose this place because it was conveniently located halfway between the Amsterdam airport and The Hague. Reservations were easy to make and we confirmed pick-up service from the airport.
Our airline ended up running significantly late, causing much back and forth with the hotel about our estimated arrival time--they were very accommodating right up to our last minute changes and were waiting right there when we arrived from the states.
The original plan had been to visit The Hague to enjoy Prince's Day but because of the travel delays, that plan was scrapped. Instead, we used our remaining time to walk around this quiet town--there's not a lot to do in Leiden, which is part of the appeal--even stumbling upon a great little restaurant with superb hospitality.
It can be difficult when you don't speak the language but the staff at Barones are easy to communicate with and made us feel more than welcome. We recommend it to anyone wishing to stay in a location convenient to Amsterdam but not in the center of everything and for experiencing the people of The Netherlands.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank mindroy
Reviewed 22 May 2018

This tiny hotel (only 5 rooms) overlooks an interesting canal basin in a quiet part of Leiden, yet only a few minutes walk from the centre of the town. The welcome, by the cheerful and helpful Guido, was warm. Our room, on the second floor with a view over the canal basin was huge with a high beamed ceiling and every amenity including an espresso maker. The bathroom was also large and well appointed. Decor was grand. There is a lift. Breakfast seemed to be slightly portion controlled and the coffees were strong but tiny, served in the cup. A refill was forthcoming from Guido, but we would have preferred a pot of coffee. My omelette was tiny with only a few slivers of mushroom. There was a buffet with some fresh fruit and cheese, croissants etc, but it did seem rather thin. The overall experience was lovely and we slept well, but breakfast was a little disappointing.

Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed 27 April 2018

We stayed here for two nights and found the room comfortable and spacious.
It is situated on a canal though our room faced a roof with an attempt at a rooftop garden; not wow!, but quiet.
The breakfasts were good with an adequate spread.
Unfortunately, their lift is out of order and the staircase is, like most canal houses, is very steep especially with lugging luggage.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Receptie D, General Manager at Boutique Hotel De Barones van Leyden, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2018

Dear Chris,

Thank you so much for your review. We are glad to read your stay was comfortable!
Our lift needed to be renovated and unfortunately it was during your stay. Our staircases are (especially in comparative to regular Dutch staircases) not steep at all. But our staff always helps to get the luggage up, so you do not have to carry it. You can always contact the reception to ask for assistance.

Hope to see you again in the future
DE BARONES VAN LEYDEN