“Gouda Soup and Black Bast**d Burgers - yum!”
Review of Koeien en Kaas

Koeien en Kaas
Ranked #11 of 138 Restaurants in Gouda
Cuisines: Dutch
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 September 2016

The menu sounded strange but it ended up being one of the best meals we had whilst travelling around Europe. Sitting outside just behind Gouda's main square, it was a pleasant, relaxing setting to enjoy the excellent food.
There were 4 of us and we shared a lovely meal. The Gouda soup was a stand-out - I'd highly recommend it. There was also the cheese roulade with fig bread and salmon with Avocado mousse - both excellent. For mains, the 2 men shared 1 kg of Cote de Boeuf steak - very tender and well prepared. The favourite though was the restaurant's signature dish , the "Black Bast**d Burgers" (yes - that's what they are called!). For these the buns are jet black, blackened by ash but tasting like absolutely normal white bread. The meat came accompanied by very tasty port wine sauce and fries with truffle mayonnaise and coleslaw with corn and sultanas - all very, very good.
The waiter was exceptionally friendly and helpful too. Overall a most enjoyable meal.

Reviewed 26 August 2016 via mobile

Nice location indeed, and ok kitchen but nothing more than that. I would certainly recommended for a drink and appetizer on the terrace.... But no more than that!

1  Thank carlitosMiami
Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

While I was a little uncertain following some of the reviews on Trip Advisor, three of us went for dinner last night. It was a little difficult to find as parking was not very close. After I rang was given directions and the person came outside to wave to ensure we found the venue.
While the restaurant was packed (says something for a Wednesday night) they were very accommodating.
Service was excellent - only criticism was that we had to ask for water a few times before it was finally delivered (admittedly with an apology). Staff checked in on us appropriately and were sufficiently knowledgeable.
Food was delicious and very well priced.
For starter the mixed "koeien and kaas", or more simply cold meats and cheese is recommended. The cheese "soup" which came with this starter was unbelievable.
Two of us had steaks which were the best we have had in our two weeks in Holland. I normally have my steak medium rare but am glad I ordered it rare - the rare in Holland seems to be more like the medium rare in Australia/South Africa.
House bottle of red was great and very good value.
Thanks for a great dining experience and evening.

Reviewed 8 July 2016

Visited the Koeien & Kaas restaurant the other day for a nice relaxing dinner on a Monday evening. The place was virtually empty, only a few tables were occupied, which worried me a little as it's normally not a good sign.

However, we were received by the waitress and showed to our table. After some drinks we got the menu and the waitress explained the specials in a very friendly and clear way. Triggers by some of the specials we decided to go for the dry aged steak. One medium and one medium rare and ordered a nice starter as well.

The starter was of good quality and very tasty, so I was looking forward tot he main course as well. I was not disappointed, the dry aged stake came perfectly cooked according to our wishes and was very tender and tasty.

Shame the place was not more buzzing on a Monday evening, but nevertheless I've enjoyed my dinner really well and gave me a relaxed feeling due to the attentive staff.

They also server cheese fondue dishes if you like that.

So, fancy a good stake for reasonable prices, you cannot go wrong with this restaurant.

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank Cubik101
Reviewed 28 June 2016 via mobile

Very nice service and nice and butiful atmosphere and we had a very nice dinner in very nice and old building.

Date of visit: June 2016