“Great green curry ”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 11 September 2018 via mobile

I’m not an expert in Thai food but i enjoy this place a lot. Been with a large group (which is not easy to manage) but the staff was very friendly and helpful.
I enjoyed the green curry!

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 1 August 2018

With family in Den Haag, I have visited the Netherlands five times and often attempt to find good Thai - to no/limited avail. This time, my sister and I visited Delft and - on a whim - I did some on-line searching and found the Mekong using tripadvisor reviews. We thought they were outstanding. We showed up without reservations around 4 on a weekday, decided to order our main dinner as take-out to bring home for the rest of the family to share. While waiting for the take-out order, we sampled appetizers and had to share a plate of mango-sticky rice. My only complaint was that we hoped that our appetizer was uncooked "salad rolls" but, alas, we received fried spring rolls. They were fine but I have yet to find fresh "salad rolls" in the Netherlands. The service was great, they provided free tap-water on request, and the take-out was done quickly and easily. We enjoyed a variety of take-out entrees, including wide noodle/tofu/vegetable stir fry, cashew chicken, and a special duck dish. All were excellent. In contrast with some Dutch Thai places I've tried before (that use Italian style pasta), everything at Mekong was rice noodle. Definitely stop at the Mekong in Delft, a great and less crowded/tourist-crazy city to put on the itinerary, in general.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

We had an early meal here yesterday evening, service was OK but a little slow at times even though the place was nearly empty. The food was well cooked and presented, tasted really great, the portions were average for this type of restaurant. The reason for the low mark is for the price, €82 for 2 people. I know prices need to go up but I can get a better Thai meal for 4 for this price at home. I would have given 3.5 but can’t. Very tasty but expensive, I would recommend this place.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

We had prebooked for a table of 8 at this restaurant a week before, when we arrived it took 20 minutes before someone came to get our order for drinks or ask us if we’d like something to eat. We ordered 8 beers and 2 mixed platters, the mixed platters had still not come 30 minutes later. This was 50 minutes of not receiving a starter... At this point we ordered our mains. We asked again could we have our starters, we received them 20 minutes later. At this time which was 1 hour and 10 minutes to just eat our 2 mixed starters we asked how long for our mains, they said they’d check and never came back. We asked again 30 minutes later and were told 10-15 minutes. We then waited 20 minutes more and asked again and were told that after another tables food was cooked they would start ours... 2 hours and no mains even started...

We left.

I would never recommend to go here, no honesty on delays, no communication at all and a very poorly managed staff.

Restaurant was packed but insufficient staff, they should not have taken so many people in and focused on the customers they could serve.

Average wait time for tables we observed was more then one and a half hours for food.

Truly horrific and would never advise anyone to go here.

Date of visit: June 2018
cor v, Owner at Mekhong Thai - Lao Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

As you know Saturday is a most busy day and this saturday we had to deal with a suddenly two key staff less. One because of severe illness and one because of an early childbirth. We stopped all reservations that day and only reserved guests were allowed. When many guests however arrived at about the same time we had an exeptional combination that was hard to manage. The proper preparation of meals takes time and we do not endanger the quality by rushing. We allways serve a group at the same time. We can only apologize for the inconvenience and the lack of communication. On the other hand you left without notice and without paying.

Reviewed 3 June 2018

Lovely restaurant: quiet and welcoming ambiance with good lighting, lots of choices of delicious thai dishes and very friendly and knowledgeable staff. They may also be able to make you something that is not on the menu. For example I got the duck in another sauce than was on the menu.

Portions are very generous and getting your left overs bagged up is not a problem. Was one of the first restaurants I tried in Delft and was a great introduction to the Delft food scene. I will definitely return the next time I am in Delft.

Date of visit: April 2018