“OUTSTANDING STAY!”

Hotel V Frederiksplein
Ranked #99 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 24 January 2012

While in Europe, I stayed at Hotel V for three days and returned after a short excursion out of country for another four days. I am a big fan of this hotel from the old location and feared that in the move (a while now I know) they may have lost something. Not so! Highlights...my room included a bike (necessary for time in amsterdam); breakfast was delicious and fresh; everyone and i mean everyone working there was friendly and accomodating; speak a little Dutch and they are pleased with the effort. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. My room was very small and for me perfect! i had a nice balcony and view. This will be my requested room always (304). Now, as I write this, please remember that it is all for a great price. I had my laundry done and they even held some large items in between my two stays. They simply never said "no." For more money, I know that there are other places to stay and that must be considered in the evaluation. So, the location, the price, the experience... simply OUTSTANDING!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank knikitas
Write a ReviewReviews (1,233)

Reviewed 1 January 2012

This is a beautiful hotel right in front of a tram stop (Frederiksplein). The lobby is very nice, the bar serves complimentary coffee and tea during your stay; the bad thing is that this only works during the open hours of the bar. We had a bit of an issue with the night receptionist, who took a lot of convincing to give us hot water for a tea when one of our party was feeling sick. He also couldn't help us find who to call for a health emergency. Fortunately, the wi-fi in the room helped us getting it solved ourselves. Breakfast is included (most hotels charge EUR12-18 per person) and it is quite a good value, but it's quite Dutch: no hot items (unless you count getting a bread right out of the oven as such). Also, the toilet drain in the room was quite noisy during the night, which was quite annoying. This was an issue in the first floor, but not when we stayed in the basement.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank englebip
Reviewed 30 December 2011

Great hotel away from the 'centre' of Amsterdam, but close enough to enjoy walking around the canals - and let's face it, nowhere is very far from anywhere in Amsterdam! The hotel is very well-designed (though the large gold bulldog in the entrance is a little on the odd side...) and uses the space available very well - the rooms are small, but very comfortable, the bar and breakfast areas are lovely and the staff friendly. Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dominicjn
Reviewed 17 December 2011

A stylish, well-located hotel. Breakfast was included, but I was surprised to have to pay extra for eggs other than boiled. My room, a small double in the basement, was sparsely furnished, poorly lit, not carpeted and had a lot of bare concrete (presumably the modern style). The wardrobe was a pop up standing away from the wall. The TV was positioned at a poor angle and there was no headboard for the bed. I had a poor quality sleep due to the noise from the lift and stairs next to the room.
On the positive side, the bed was comfortable, the staff friendly and the room was immaculately clean. The bathroom was spotless, modern and has a great shower.
However, I think I would look elsewhere if I was to return to Amsterdam as the room was expensive (around £100) for what it was.

Room Tip: Avoid basement rooms near the lift or stairs.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank sheldon128
Reviewed 14 December 2011

A stylish hotel with a very convenient tram stop right outside. Our bedroom and ensuite were pretty small, but functional. It would have been nice for the lights to have been a bit brighter, it was very dull in our room and also for there to have been carpet instead of a cold floor.

The free tea and coffee from the bar are great, there's a welcoming fire to sit by and the breakfast was good and plentiful.

A few little touches would have conviced me to give this 5 out of 5 - the shower head was clogged up, but when we cleaned it ourselves it was a good shower, one bedside lamp wasn't working and the original wooden sash window (although lovely) was very draughty.

Overall, it was a good hotel, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple