“Putting Romania on the Dutch Map”

Restaurant Moldavie
Ranked #1,709 of 4,474 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Reviewed 31 August 2016

I'm a sucker for trying new food. I love exploring outside of my normal culinary realm of American cuisine here in California to taste and relish the chance to know a unique culture by what it has to offer. I think food qualifies at the top of the list and the easiest tool to use in this sense. It's not everyday or every month I get to travel 6,000+ miles away from home to immerse myself in a European culture so when my boyfriend and I travel to Amsterdam, we never have a hard time finding something different to eat. If you're hungry, you won't be disappointed. My new interest in Eastern European culture has led me to food because there are not many choices here in Los Angeles. I made a concerted effort to find something in Amsterdam and low and behold, success! Reading reviews did not sway me although the overall score is favorable. Reviews are opinions and though they are helpful, they should also be taken with a grain of salt. For food's sake, just try the place for yourself and let your taste buds decide. Now, I'm not finicky when it comes to the appearance of the outside. It's a building and the vegetation looked just fine. The service upon entering was hospitable and accommodating. Again, we eat at many restaurants and they do vary a bit when it comes to the etiquette between American and European forms of service. I knew what to do and I do NOT expect somebody to run up to me to grab my hand and lead me to the table. The waiter spoke English well and he was friendly. He was also attentive though the restaurant was not bustling (it was about 20.00/8:00pm), he was busy enough with other clientele providing service to everyone to the best of his ability. In other words, everything was timed perfectly. We were not in a hurry. Why would you be? This is not McDonald's where you dread going in and then once you are there you are trying to break your neck getting out as fast as you can because the environment suffocates you with ill mannerisms. Restaurant Moldavie has a wonderful, Old World, quaint feel to it. It is laid back, homey and gives you the sense that you want to stay a while and enjoy your food with the accompaniment of family and friends. The inside decor is eye candy. Wood and brick make up most of the interior with Romanian art adorning the walls (see photos). It is completely out of this world. In fact, as different as Amsterdam can be to American visitors, spending time inside of Restaurant Moldavie seemed like a world within a world. With that being said, I was confident that this place was going to be promising and my instinct served me well. The food was absolutely tasteful. We each started with a Timisoreana beer and ordered an appetizer of bacon (pork belly) and raw red onion served with bread. Very different from what you would expect when listed as bacon and onions. All three elements worked perfectly eaten together. The main dishes ordered were spaced out in a timely manner as we did not feel rushed to finish our appetizer. We ordered a side of "Mici" (mild spiced hand made sausages) grilled and were amazing. For the main dishes, my boyfriend ordered the pork chop with flavored potatoes and I had the Romanian spicy stew pot. The only mix up we encountered was that the waiter forgot to add my stew to the order we placed. After the pork dish was served I continued to nibble on the appetizer when we started to realize about 15 minutes later that the stew had not been served. The mistake was rectified when the lady (I'm guessing the owner and cook) came by to check on our table. Everything was fixed and she was very nice. The stew was freshly served, hot and delicious. It is a little spicy but I have a high tolerance for spice but it is not overwhelming in the least bit. It was served with a side of mashed potatoes. The meals are made for one person if you have a hearty appetite. The dishes could be shared but you would be cheating yourself by not venturing out and ordering other items. The portions are worth stuffing yourself because the food is so tasty and the food is not overly priced so you get what you pay for. In reality, that's what we look for. If you walk out full and happy with the quality of the food, then it was worth the price. Restrooms were clean. The men and women's room are on opposite sides of the restaurant. The house cat is also friendly but does not liked to be chased by children! Overall, for those of you that live either in the Netherlands or overseas, give this place a try if you truly want to experience a unique European culinary adventure.

1  Thank Pamela N

Reviewed 22 July 2016

We are so happy that our friends who live nearby took us to this restaurant. The food was wonderful and the service excellent.

2  Thank Wanda G
Reviewed 28 June 2016 via mobile

Very good Romanian food, generous portions, friendly personnel and good old music. Nice place to come back to!

2  Thank MadyCM
Reviewed 10 May 2016

What a pleasant surprise it is to find such a real Romanian restaurant in Amsterdam.
I enjoyed ciorba and chicken and it tasted exactly the same as I had in Romania.
I really recommend this restaurant to Romanian cuisine lovers.

It is located a bit away from the city centre and on some online map, you will find two addresses for this restaurant.
The real one is on Leeuwenlaan. So be careful.

2  Thank hi-trot
Reviewed 15 January 2016

This restaurant serves real traditional Romanian food. I was looking for a long time for this type of place as I am a Romanian living in Amsterdam and I was happy to find it here. We were there a couple of evenings ago and got the Tasting 7 dishes menu. The food was freshly cooked, delicious and the portions were huge (could not eat the complete 7 dishes). The owners are nice people and even though Romanian cuisine is quite meaty and I do not eat meat, they manage to adapt their menu and served me traditional food without including the beef, porc or chicken dishes. Price was amazing also - somewhere around 30 euro. You will not be disappointed. My recommendation is Polenta with sourcream and cheese (non-meat), but also Tripe Soup and Sarmale (stuffed cabbage rolls with minced meat - for the meat eaters)

6  Thank 10Viviana