“Good food but did not yet have their alcohol licence”
Review of Pho House

Pho House
Ranked #2,468 of 4,589 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Neighbourhood: Centrum
Neighbourhood: Centrum
Reviewed 21 February 2016

We ate there one evening with my husband and 2 kids. The food is good and fresh, this is a no fuss nice place to eat at. The décor is simple but it is a very little shop. They explained the menu well and we liked everything, including my 8 and 12 year olds so bonus points for that. However they had not received their alcohol licence yet so if you fancy a beer or glass of wine, best look elsewhere. They also turned people sway at 10pm saying it was closed as we were the last clients, although Haarlemmerdijk is a very popular street.

Reviewed 16 February 2016

Decent tasty food, simple choice to make on the menu. Cosy setting. Fair price. Service was at the same time rather friendly but odd. Didn't like the fact that I was looking forward to the Vietnamese coffee and at the end of our meal not only the waitress ignored us: she stood there without asking us if we needed anything else, but after a while when I was fed up waiting and decided to call her over our table so we could order coffee, she said there was none. BIG disappointment. Could do better!!!

Reviewed 28 January 2016

A basic Vietnamese type cafe just a little away from the main centre of Amsterdam servicing traditional Vietnamese food which was reasonably tasty although to be fair i dosed up my chicken soup with chilli sauce which kind of made it somewhat different from what was given to me. On the whole though it was ok and the lady was friendly enough.

Reviewed 19 January 2016

I was yelled at by the waitress serving us because I asked to order some food. It was 9pm and the restaurant wasn't busy and we had already been waiting 15 minutes to even be served drinks. I've never been treated so disgustingly in a restaurant, and I was nothing but polite. I've also never been compelled to leave a negative review on a restaurant, but this nasty waitress completely ruined our night and it was so uncalled for. Don't go here if you want to have a nice time!

Reviewed 29 December 2015 via mobile

Is it so good you would slap your mamma? No. That said my mama would probably slap me if she knew what I paid for eating here when I could have the real thing for free if I just visited her more. Here's the thing: my expectations were not that high and it exceeded that. The egg rolls were freshly fried and good even if I had never seen them in a cigar shape/size before. Just missing some minced seaweed, carrots and daikon to give a fuller taste. Had never seen the sweet and sauce as the dipping sauce. It seems to be the thing here though. Another horrible American food invention. The pho was okay. The broth lacked the star anise to give it the proper aroma and roasted ginger to deepen the flavor. It was freezing outside and the pho hit the spot. Does it compare to what you would find at am average pho shop in LA, San Jose or NY? No. Is it the worst I've had while traveling overseas? No, had much worse in Thailand surprisingly. Geographic proximity to the pho motherland does not insure a good bowl of pho.