All reviews the penthouse breakfast room dam square tram receptionist
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

I arrived in Amsterdam at 6:00am, exhausted, only to learn that my hotel’s reception desk did not open till 8:00am, and I couldn’t get an early check-in. Amst. Downtown Hotel was on the same street, and open. Luckily (I thought) ADH had s room for me. Mohammed at the front desk was awesome. He said if my other hotel didn’t work out, I could stay at ADH for my entire 4 night stay, since they had lots of openings. Otherwise, check-out was the following morning at 11am. The room was okay, like a dorm room. So, I shower & get myself settled and was quickly in bed & fell into a deep sleep.

Then, at 11am, someone starts banging on my door. It was part of my dream at first, then I finally realize it’s my door that’s being banged on. I yelled ‘I don’t need my room cleaned’ thinking it was the maid. The woman screams, ‘No, you have to check out!’ I yell, ‘No, I just checked in. I’m checking out tomorrow’. She says, ‘No you’re checking out NOW!’ I’m like, ‘Ask Mohammed. He just checked me in this morning’.

It quiets down and I go back to sleep thinking whoever it was talked to Mohammed and I’m cool. The next thing I know, the POLICE are knocking on my door, saying I have to get out now. They freaking called the police on me after being in the room for 3 hours. Police were unbelievable & did not listen to me. I had 1 minute to get out!! When I’m leaving the woman at the front desk was full of hatred. I will never forget that face. She said if I hadn’t yelled at her she wouldn’t have called police. (We were yelling because the door was closed & I was in bed) Horrible start to a vacation. Stay away from this place! The only unfriendly people I have ever met in Amsterdam. Don’t even think of staying here.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Kevin B
Reviewed 10 July 2018

Good localized, very nice and helpful staff in reception but beds in uncomfortable. Do something with this and wifi. rest was excellent. I recommend this place when you want to visit city center of Amsterdam. very good location

Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed 9 March 2018

Twelve of us were meant to stay in this hotel for 2 nights from the 2nd-4th of March, but a blizzard and snowy conditions meant our flight was cancelled. We were able to let the hotel know this a day before we were meant to arrive (as soon as we knew ourselves) and wanted to cancel our stay.

We expected to pay a small fee, but we didn't expect to have to pay 80% of the price for a hotel that we didn't even stay in. They took €1440 from us.

The staff were uncaring and unsympathetic. While we appreciate they are a business, they should have been more understanding that this was not our fault, and that we were already very disappointed about our trip.

They did not offer any options; such as staying at the hotel on different dates or a voucher for the hotel. It was only when we offered to pay for 1 night instead of 2, that they gave us 20% off the price.

We understand that there is a strict cancellation policy, however, as with all reasonable businesses, when a cancellation occurs due to an 'Act of God', exceptions should be made.

I have informed everyone I know about the treatment we have received, and have advised every one I know against staying in this hotel.

TL;DR - Tried to cancel our stay a day in advance due to flight cancellations, but were still charged €1440 - hotel unwilling to discuss options.

My advice? Stay somewhere else.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
6  Thank jordanbyrne
Reviewed 19 January 2018

I reserved 3 rooms here through booking.com for the end of February to pay on arrival. They immediately took £530 out of my bank, half the cost of the stay. Booking.com contacted the hotel who said that they had a new guy working and it was a mistake. They should have done a 1 euro test payment to ensure it was a working card and said the money would be refunded in 3 working days. 4 working days later we had to contact them again as it was not refunded to then be told they never intended to refund and are holding the payment until we go. This is 50% of the price to stay there so in my case,it was not pay at the hotel on arrival at all. We had to cancel the rooms to get our money back (which we still havent yet) and book somewhere else.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Paula W
Reviewed 26 December 2017

Disappointing!!.I stayed there in July and although the staff is nice, rules are not respected at all.Too many people in one mixed dorm which is very small.
As for smoking,people who do it inside rooms are not told anything nor the ones getting high neither, this is potentially dangerous. It´s very noisy as well.
It can not be called a hotel because it´s not,it´s a hostel.During my walks in Amsterdam I found lodging options for a little bit less or the same price that offer much more to travellers and are cleaner.
I met another girl in my room and both of us felt unsafe because we were the only women in the room, this is supposed to be balanced as for the number of people in a mixed dorm.

Date of stay: July 2017