See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 7 April 2015 via mobile

We have just come back from our stay and it was the absolute lowlight of our long awaited holiday to Amsterdam!! When we when we first arrived our host Katia rang us twice to see where we were ( check in is at 2, this was at 1). So we made our way to the apartment and arrived at 13.45. When we got there Katjia seemed annoyed we had arrived early despite her ringing us twice. She was doing her washing in the washing machine in the little bathroom which was in OUR room (they are not apartments). She then made a comment we arrived too early despite her ringing us to say come when you like and call me when you are outside!

First impressions of apartment very disappointing! Stairs almost vertical up to 1st floor, room small and dingy. Sheets and duvet on bed disgusting condition, ready for the bin! Buttons missing off duvet covers , sheets crumpled on bed. Towels hard and faded. No pillows just two oversized cushions, not comfortable. Bed is next to a radiator and under a window. Heating on full blast despite 18 degree weather which made the room impossible to sleep in. Blinds don't close fully, window very difficult to open and radiators/ heating controlled from flat above, their flat. We had to knock several times to ask for heating to be turned down, the response we got was a grunt and made us feel bad for raising this as an issue. We had to drag the mattress to the floor 2 nights in order to get away from radiator and the light coming through cheap blinds was disturbing our sleep. Lights in room also broken.

Worst of all was the noise! The flat is not sound proof in fact all we heard was all the hosts children running around even at 4am one morning, loud party music one night and even the hosts arguing! The door was constantly being slammed and we hated every second of being there! We paid 500 euro to stay , plus 25 euro cleaning money.( the flat was never cleaned once when we were there, or beds changed etc ) plus city tax, in total 560 euro for a weekend stay!
What a rip off! Avoid this place, the hosts are rude, inconsiderate and bad mannered and don't care about your holiday or experience.

Do not line these people's pockets with your hard earned money and please stay anywhere else. It will be the best thing you have done and make your stay in Amsterdam 100% better.

• Stayed: April 2015
4  Thank Caitriona S
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Stayed here with a few friends. Walking distance to the centre and the station. The apartments were clean and comfortable enough for our couple of days.
Find it hard to believe any one could find any big issues. The landlord was helpful,very few basic rules and some basic foodstuffs were available. Smoking was allowed which just made it a nicer place to come back to. Great place to stay with friends.
Travelling alone? Can't imagine anywhere would be cheap other than a bed in a dorm in a hostel!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Been staying in these apartments for last 4 seasons in the row and just because of the simple reason - Landlords. Not only that they helped me more than they are suppose to but they did extra mile in anything they were required! I am so upset since I saw the last comment from Joanna Ticino, that I personally could say that if I were there I would have payed for them double just to check you out of there....What kind of problems you must have to state something like this in here?! You are definitely problematic single traveller who has lack of common sense in life. You get what you paying for. if you have panic attacks on people who you do not know and expect them to treat you well just because you pay them for service of the apartments not for baby sitting you - you have to reconsider yourself my dear. It has been a big pleasure to come there every year and to be welcome as friend! p.s. Sorry for my opinion but just standing up for somebody who is totally different in reality!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Edgaras G
Reviewed 28 April 2013

A severe warning for this absolute overpriced accomodation. There are a lot of hotels in the city where you pay less and get so much more. I paid 130 EUR as a single person per night without breakfast and had the badest service I ever had in my life...
The room is not very clean - very old and dirty looking bedclothes and towels (those we would chuck out), and in the kitchen you find all the rests the others left - including rotted tomatoes... The room is poorly soundproofed, every step on the room above you lets you spring in your bed (very nice at 3am when the party people are returning) and the use of the others WCs lets you believe the Niagra Falls are in your room.
But the worst thing are the landlords. They only care about the money they get and not about their guests. Every question you have they react very bugged and absolutely not professional. The house has a lot of very steep, almost vertical, stairs - more ladders than stairs actually. When I arrived I told the landlord I am not able to carry the suitcase six of those ladders because of my health state (which is quite severe). He said, no problem, he will help me and we arranged a time for the check out. I told him that it is important since I had to get my train. Guess what - nobody came.. When I ringed the door bell of the appartement of the landlords, they did not even talk to me in person - they just answered through the intercom. The landlady said that she is not interested how I can get the suitcase downstairs, she doesn't care. (sure - because I paid in advance and that is all they care of...). So since I could not carry I had to get on my backside, letting slide the suitcase step by step next to me. And that all of the six ladders... It was not only very dangerous and exhausting - it was so mortifying... When I made afterwards an official complaint they wrote they informed me before that they had those ladders (which is a lie, they did not and they had to admit that) and that they are not a hotel with professional luggage service. Well - I did not expect a professional luggage service - merely a normal human kindness and helpfullness. For 130 EUR for a single room - is this really too much? And the landlord promised me to do it - if he'd told me he won't, I would have changed the hotel. But first saying "no problem" and then not even talking to me in person, just letting me - a not anymore young woman who travelled alone - know through the intercom, how rude is that... I never ever experienced that in my life before. And I travel a lot. Nothing to do with being a hotel or not - just to do with good education. Than they even lied again about that the man was in hospital for a check-up - he was not. It was sunday morning, there are no check-ups on sunday mornings... And even if - he could have told me instead of promising me to help and then letting me down. Telling me over the intercom they don't care how I manage tells everything. Very pathetic people. Don't book there, you can spend your money in Amsterdam at much nicer places.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank JoanaTicino
Reviewed 24 February 2013

If you are not a friend of group hostels nemo apartments might be the right choice for you. The owner was very kind and helpful, the apartment itself clean and located pretty central. We had a two floor apartment, kitchen, bathroom, tv on one floor. Beds on the top floor. We paid 35 per night + city taxes. Smoking was allowed. The few rules were easy to handle.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends