All reviews french balcony free bike hire rose petals canal view deluxe room dutch pancakes busy road city map lovely little hotel boutique hotel small desk airport bus minute walk comfortable bed air con walking distance would definitely stay here again
Reviewed 30 September 2018

I enjoyed my stay here, even though my first impression wasn't great. There's an unassuming doorway and the entrance and hallway is a bit scruffy. If I'm honest I was expecting something a bit smarter given the room rate of just shy of £200 a night. That said the actual room was good, nicely kitted out in 'boutique' fashion, large and comfortable. The bathroom was tiny - shower,basin and loo - but the actual shower was sizeable. it was hot during my stay and the room was hot, but did have air-con. It seemed quite puny air-con at first, but did cool down the room eventually. It would have been great to be able to operate it while out, to come back to a cooler room, but you can't operate it without the room key. That said having it on through the night did mean the room temperature ended up comfortable enough to have a good night's sleep. The Nassaukade where the hotel is situated is a main road, but there was pretty good noise insulation. The location was really good for me - the canal ring is just to the north and it is short walk from the Riksmuseum (not that I had time for sight-seeing). I would recommend paying for the breakfast if offered as there is nowhere obvious nearby for coffee, and it was a good breakfast selection, with cooked items offered on top of the usual 'continental' choices. I had pancakes one day! Most importantly though, the staff were super friendly, pleasant and helpful, and that got me over my slightly unfavourable first impression. I would definitely recommend.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2018

This hotel was exactly what we were looking for - very quaint, few guests, lots of character and centrally located! Sure, I could have booked a Marriott but I didn't want that experience. Our room was large and right on the canal. I thought it might be noisy, but it wasn't - we slept great! The breakfast was fantastic! One order of pancakes is plenty for 2 people. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. If you do not like stairs it may be difficult to get into the front entrance, but there is help and an elevator once you get past the first couple of stairs. We walked or took the tram everywhere - no car needed. Felt very safe walking around the city. Would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank Keith C
Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

Upon arriving 2 hours later than planned and exhausted, we were dropped off at a steep walk up with our 4 pieces of luggage. Once we got to landing we were greeted by front desk clerk and an elevator. During our 3 night stay,we only had to endure steep stairs when we left and to the breakfast area in the basement. The breakfast was a nice selection of fruit, hot cereals and croissants with cook offering bacon and eggs to order. Our room was small but efficient. It rained most of the time we were there but having big windows that opened outward offered a wonderful breeze for a beautiful fall trip.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2018

A nice tidy and comfortable hotel near the Rijksmuseum and other significant attractions. Close to the tram line that can take you all over Amsterdam. The room was small, but very comfortable. Only one staff person at the small desk at the entrance of the hotel, but both of those that "manned" it were very friendly and helpful. The entrance stairs were steep and narrow so help may be needed for some to get large suitcases up to the elevator landing by the check-in desk.

Date of stay: July 2018
Reviewed 17 July 2018

Firstly, the only positives: it's in a great central location, and the staff who checked us in were friendly and efficient, so no complaints about them.

Now the negatives: we stayed in the basement room, and our long weekend was severely affected as a result. It is entirely unacceptable to be rented out as a hotel room, let alone at that price. What the photos of the room don't tell you (and neither does the description) is that if anyone in the bedroom on the floor above you is going to move around at any time after you are in bed and trying to get to sleep then you won't. We were kept up until 2.30am on our first night. And 3.30am on our second night. Oh, and there is some problem with the air con compressor making a buzzing noise every 3-4 minutes or so - absolutely japanese water torture. It was only on getting back that I checked the few negative TA reviews from here, and found one for the basement room from AUGUST 2015 (THREE YEARS AGO) which complained of the exact same buzzing noise fault. So the hotel is treating guests who stay here with contempt by not bother to resolve this serious problem for three years. And there was no reasonable way of complaining to reception, because that closes and the staff disappear out of the building at 9pm!

Even without the noise problems, the room as also unacceptable as they have located a breakfast room right next door, so our few hours sleep which we did manage were then again disrupted at 7am by the sounds of the staff preparing for breakfast, and the smells of bacon cooking and pastries wafting into our room!

I have booked dozens and dozens of accomodations with hotels.com all over the world, and this was the first one we've had to complain about. But even then the hotel completely disregarded the above legitimate concerns by (we were told by hotels.com) refusing the one night's refund we requested (tbh we would have been entitled to ask for a full refund, given the impact it had on the rest of our holiday). Thankfully hotels.com stepped in and credited us one night's worth. SHAME on the hotel, THANK YOU to hotels.com. DON'T STAY HERE, they don't deserve your business.

Room tip: avoid the basement room at all costs
Date of stay: July 2018