“Lovely hotel. Serene, beautiful indoor pool opened 24 hrs”

Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam
Ranked #1 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 2 May 2016

My husband and I had stayed here on the night of April 17th, for my birthday. We did not mention that it was my birthday however, it would've been nice if my birthday was recognized by the check-in staff by looking at my passport closely (as I have experienced in other 5-star hotels) and something small (like fruit, chocolates, or a note) was delivered to our room, but this is a small thing that is above and beyond and while not expected, would've been nice.

The rooms are simple, gorgeous, elegant. We had a double room overlooking the canal. The view was great, so picturesque. Was nice to wake up in the morning and look outside the window.

I think I enjoyed the bathroom more than the room itself. The toiletries were all Ferragamo brand products (of all my 5-star stays, I have never washed myself with Ferragamo- what a treat :) and the bathtub was like a dream. There was a small TV on the wall above the bath where you can watch your favorite episode of The Bachelor, if you wanted :)

The indoor pool is absolutely beautiful. Very serene and calming as there is yoga/meditation music playing lightly in the background. We went for a swim at 9pm and had the pool to ourselves. Make sure to visit the pool when you stay here! There is also a wet and dry sauna if you are into that.

Another sort of small, odd encounter. The first day we were a bit jet-lagged coming in and we stayed in after grabbing a late lunch. Approximately 5-6pm, the cleaning lady had knocked and when I answered the door, I said "Oh hello," and she said "Oh- OK- you don't want? OK- thank you, byebye."

I am guessing she thought that we didn't want to have her clean the room or "tidied" for the night? It was odd that she didn't even ask us if we wanted her to come back after a few hours, she just rushed out the door and automatically assumed we did not want the room cleaned. Maybe it was a language barrier or something? We are still perplexed.

Nonetheless, the hotel was great otherwise. While we were waiting for the taxi to arrive the morning after checkout, one of the young lady staff members had given me a few madelines/financiers, macaroons, and other cookies that were displayed downstairs and that was a nice gesture.

Room Tip: Canal view is nice, but not a necessity as the rooms are all probably beautiful and the bathrooms ar...
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2016

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your experience at the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam on TripAdvisor.

It is a pleasure to know that you’ve appreciated your bathroom with Ferragamo amenities, as well as our indoor swimming pool. I truly hope that we were able to offer you the perfect setting for you to create memorable moments with your loved ones.

I would also like to thank you for your feedback in regards to our service. We hold tremendous value in your comments at they allow us to reflect upon ourselves so as to continuously improve our service. I will make sure to carefully review your comments with the team.

We would be honored to welcome you again and we hope that you will not hesitate to reach out to us directly, should you desire to make another reservation.

General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,443)

Reviewed 2 May 2016

Magnificent hotel! Rooms had a beautiful decor, functional , firm bed, great large bathroom with heated floors. Service was terrific , always helpful and the cold weather ( 40's and rainy) did not dampen the mood of the trip. The staff was always waiting with umbrellas upon our arrival and gave us them to venture out. Service was wonderful ... Would happily return!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2016

Dear Ms. Christine M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam on TripAdvisor. I am truly delighted to read that your stay at our property was a success and that you enjoyed the small details that made your experience an unforgettable one.

I am also enchanted to know that you were impressed with our legendary True Waldorf Service and appreciated the attention you received from all the members of our team. I will make sure to share your kind words with the team, for whom it was a pleasure to assist.

We would be honored to welcome you again at the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam and we hope that you will not hesitate to reach out to us directly should you desire to make another reservation.

Reviewed 1 May 2016

First class luxury. Would not stay anywhere else in Amsterdam. Fabulous hotel. Rooms are extremely comfortable. Delightful views overlooking canal. Breakfast selection is superb. All staff are incredibly welcoming; nothing is too much trouble. Concierge very kindly arranged tickets for Keukenhoff gardens. Will definitely return. Stayed 16 April 2016.

Room Tip: Views over looking canal are lovely

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam on TripAdvisor. It has been an honor to read your praising review and we could not feel more rewarded than to read that you “would not stay anywhere else in Amsterdam”.

I am glad to know that your Personal Concierge was able to assist you with tickets for Keukenhof, which I truly hope allowed you to create memorable moments in Amsterdam. It is very gratifying to read that you felt welcome and well taken care of, as the pride and passion of each team member in delivering a service up to the highest standards of hospitality reflects our legendary True Waldorf Service.

We would love to have the chance to welcome you again at the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam and hope that you will not hesitate to reach out to us directly should you desire to make another reservation.

Reviewed 1 May 2016

This was a family vacation and I am extremely happy with the level of quality, cleanliness, amenities and overall experience of staying at the Waldorf Amsterdam. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the location was just great. Probably on of the more expensive places in Amsterdam but worth every penny :). The food experience at their Michelin rated restaurant was delightful. The public areas were nicely appointed and organized to make you feel comfortable and cozy. The back garden, fitness center and bar area were also a big plus to the overall "house" and cozy feel f the hotel. I am looking forward to my next stay there... Five star recommendation fr this hotel!!!

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria
RobertoPayer, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2016

Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam on TripAdvisor. It is with true delight that I read your praising review and I am very glad to know that you’ve had an enjoyable stay with us. We strive to deliver the most unforgettable experiences to all of our valued guests, hence it is very rewarding to read that you are looking forward to your next stay with us.

We sincerely hope to have the chance to welcome you again at the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam and hope that you will not hesitate to reach out to us directly should you desire to make another reservation.

Reviewed 29 April 2016

I think when Hilton started to create the Waldorf brand they may have slapped the name on some properties that were not quite up to par...Hello El San Juan in PR. This one was worthy of the Waldorf name and then some! Its impeccably clean and the rooms are spacious and warm. The staff are so pleasant. We dined in the hotel one night and the food and service were very good. The hotel is in a very good location with lots of shops and restaurants close by. Its by no means cheap but if you are looking for a luxurious hotel in Amsterdam I don't think you should take a chance by staying elsewhere.

1  Thank Mark E

Dear Mr. Mark,

I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam on TripAdvisor. It is great to read that you’ve enjoyed our prime location on the beautiful Herengracht, which I hope gave you the chance to conveniently access all of the city’s highlights you wished to visit. I am also happy to know that in addition to enjoying our restaurant, you found your room to be ‘spacious and warm’.

I am enchanted that you were impressed by our legendary True Waldorf Service and I will make sure to share your praising words with the rest of the team. We would be honored to have the chance to welcome you again and we hope that you will not hesitate to contact us directly should you desire to make another reservation.