“So good!”

Ranked #4 of 288 Nightlife in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A beer lover's paradise, this Amsterdam institution serves literally hundreds of different kinds.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My husband and I are serious beer people and this place put a smile on our faces. Fab selection and a fun atmosphere. Stop by for a beer and you won’t be disappointed!

1  Thank KeepITkep
There are newer reviews for In de Wildeman

Reviewed 26 March 2012

We came here today after reading about it on tripadvisor. Really lovely spot and great choice of beers! They have beers from Belgium, Germany, Scotland and I'm sure many other places. We tried a nice Dutch beer which I think was no 16 on the beer list. It was a spring beer. Really, really nice!! Be sure to check how strong they are as ours was 7.5% which is quite strong for a beer. The barman was kind enough to do us 2 halfs as it was only 12ish and a little early to be getting tipsy. Overall really nice place, very friendly service and we will definately return on our next trip.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

One of the centers of the Dutch bier culture, and just a great place to relax and enjoy a rare bier or jenever, or both, ask for a "Kopstootje," (little head butt). The ambiance here is typical of the Dutch bruin bars, no music (to accommodate conversation), green and brown wood paneled walls, centuries old liqueur barrels stacked about, chalk inscribed bier kaarts (menus) in every room, old enamel and steel advertisements about the walls, as well as bier paraphernalia from days gone by. Simply put, even if you don't consume bier much, go here, try one, and just enjoy this world class bier venue. There is also limited terras seating on the bustling alley type of street, "Kolksteeg." The staff is amazing!!! Always with a smile on their face, and very informed about all the different bier styles available. On my last visit I inquired about "Belzebuth," a French Strong Golden Ale, and not only to my surprise did they have it, but they had several vintages of it. The bar keep went to the basement and brought me up some samples. We then drank and conversed about barley wines, Belgium biers, Dutch biers, and jenever for about an hour. He also divulged some other bier information to me; where to go for other special biers on tap, where to purchase Dutch and Belgium biers, and when and where to go for brewery tours around town. He even let me get behind the bar with him for a photo!! I can't guarantee this treatment on a busy evening, which often occurs, but try an afternoon visit for "special" attention. The bier selection here is amazing with at least 17 biers on tap, and one cider. They also have the best fleschje (bottle) selection in town (or anywhere for that matter) with at least 200 to choose from including krieks and geuzes, Dutch, German, Flemish, British, and even American biers. Many Belgium trappist ales are also available; Achel, Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, La Trappe, Westmalle etc. and so many other exclusive biers (ask for the Farmhouse IPA-Flying Dog Brewery), it would be impossible to try all of them in one visit, so plan accordingly, you just never know what they will have in house. The best bier proeflokal (tasting room) in town, an absolute must visit!!!

Reviewed 3 February 2012

What a selection of beers! Good atmosphere. Lots of Dutch folk - not just tourists.

Reviewed 8 January 2012

Atmospheric place - bit like a traditional English pub, but with better choice of beer. The barman knew all about the drink he was selling, giving advice and free tastes of his recommendations. quiet on teh lunchtime that we went there, but I imagine it could get busy in the evenings as it is very central. Closed Sundays.