“Great location but crap rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Bulldog Hotel

The Bulldog Hotel
london
“Great location but crap rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

Stayed here with a few friends for my birthday last December, great location as its very close to all the main attractions in Dam.
Lobby area/ bar was a cool place to chill & smoke, bar serves food & drinks all day.
They ask you not to smoke in the rooms but we did & nobody ever noticed as the whole building stinks of weed!
The rooms are very basic, clean but really dated- had 1 chair in a room of 4!
The breakfast was the worst I have ever had in Dam & this was my 5th visit- no variety & all cold food!
We only stayed here as most hotels are now non smoking.
Rates are a little high as you pay per person.
Would stay here again but in a better room- book through the hotel so you know what your getting- Internet pics are not real!!

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank bangla1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Staff are unpleasant, unhelpful and rude! They act like you are doing them a favor by staying at their hotel. When you arrive they look you up and down and then say 'What! Do you have a reservation', then demand you give them a photo ID card or passport to hold onto to get a key to your room.

The room was covered in stains and the bathroom had no ventilation so smelt of mildew and smoke (as though people had been smoking weed in there). I complained about the smell and sliminess of the bathroom and asked for something to clean it, they said that the bathrooms smell because there is no ventilation and they can't do anything about it but they gave us a bottle of green highly toxic smelling cleaner which we poured throughout the shower, it did nothing to cover up the smell.

You can't sleep (1) Because the hotel is near a clock tower that goes of every 30 minutes (2) There is a smoke alarm located directly above the bed that lets off an ear piecing screech every time it is triggered by anyone on the entire hotel floor and lets face it everyone is smoking in Amsterdam so that happens ALL THE TIME. The lift is slow and loud, there is an roof top smoking area which would be helpful if it was ever open (They just lock it when ever the please without warning).

I checked out a day before the rest of my group and attempted to get my ID back about an hour before I had to leave by trading it with my key (as I mentioned above you have to GIVE them your ID) but for some reason got in trouble for not having my bags on me and not letting them know I was leaving early by some fizzy haired wench at reception. I was made to go up to the room get all my bags and then I was finally able to get my ID back.

I do not recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't like being treated like crap. If you want to stay in a prison like hotel where the staff are the wardens stay at The Bulldog Amsterdam

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sara M
jimbulldog, General Manager at The Bulldog Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We highly appreciate every comment, positive or negative.
Can we learn something from this feedback? This is the most important question for me as general manager of this hostel. At the same time is it possible to justify, clear up or at least put the nuance in the feedback received?

Sometimes it is a challenge when we obviously did not meet the expectation. We have fun in our jobs and we believe that in general we are able to handle every conflict. And believe me in a town like this, in a hostel like this and in the area we live in some things can be pretty strange once and a while.

Out of experience I learned that hospitality is a fragile thing. Looking at the word itself it sounds a bit like hostility. Always a bit uncomfortable…. The art is to find out (when strangers meet) what we have in common and not what divides us. But it is coming from two ways. Always!
In our hostel we need staff with iron balls. They need to be assertive together with a great sense of humor. Once again it sometimes looks like a Fellini film here. In 95% of the cases people enjoy this typical Amsterdam way of communication.

As a team we analyzed this case in detail. We shook the sheets were possible. As for some reason everything seemed to go a bit unusual. We found out that this particular bathroom was clean (and does ventilate) but every time with a certain wind direction (and only in this room), the water in the floor drain (that keeps the smell away) is being dried up. Certainly in old (read: rare) buildings. In any (normal) case the guest does not feel comfortable the standard protocol is changing the guests to another room. We regret it did not happen?

The bells of a clock tower (since 1300), a slow and loud elevator, green stuff, screeches from the ceiling, the smell of weed, fake pictures, a closed terrace. It seems that everything was against you during your stay with us. Why did not you asked for the manager? I probably would have given you a strong drink, a hug and some earplugs. Welcome to Amsterdam.

It is clearly mentioned on our website in terms & conditions that this is required when we give you a key. But forget about these ‘small letters’ that is silly. Hardly anyone is reading it. But we have a reason to do so. It is for your and our safety. In this fun city our guests want to party. Sometimes they forget where they are.

As I made the pictures myself, I will return every guest their money back in case they have this feeling.

There is not much I can change from a distance to make this negative experience away except for writing this. Would like to invite you again on my costs. I have not the intention to subvert the feedback but to say sincerely sorry that we have not been able to make your stay a pleasant one.
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

I stayed here with two friends, in a three-bed room. We had two twin beds and then a bed which was pulled out from the wall - so the person in this bed had to be careful not to roll too far to one side otherwise the bed would try to fold up! The room was quite dark, and the light switches were odd, so it was often a struggle to work out which one we needed to press to turn one off. The bathroom was ok, but was very very wet after a shower. The hotel itself is very clean, and the rooms upstairs away from the bar thankfully don't smell of smoke. Staff were friendly and the location is excellent. A tad expensive, but that's standard for Amsterdam!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Fluffy-Owl
Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

This hotel was perfect for what myself and my partner was after - budget but clean, ensuite, and comfy bed. Perfect location, close to everything - and the bar downstairs gets you high just from inhaling the fumes sitting there! Book it if you go to Amsterdam! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ladyinred86
Bs. As. Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2011

It's a real 5 Stars Hostel!!! I stayed at the Appartment on the Top! It was awesome!!! It has around 100s.mts and a great view. It is full equippated, quiet and beautty! with comfortable beds, separate bathrooms, tv, kitchen, all you need to enjoy the Lovely City of Amsterdam! and the most Important the best Cofee Shop downstairs!!!

Me gustó: Food, Service, Atmosphere, Value