“Not 4 stars worth”

Ranked #133 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
London
“Not 4 stars worth”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I booked this hotel at the eleventh hour as i just could make up my mind on where to book and was just running out of time! As I had left it so late, I couldn't afford the rooms that were left in the other few hotels I wanted to stay in. Upon arrival we were immediately charged about 50 euros for what I understood after asking a few members of staff a safety deposit, i thought this was a bit crude to assume that we were going to damage anything! We were allocated room 204(?) it was midway up the stairs. The room was dark and a bit cramped, the bathroom was small with a tiny sink that you could hardly wash your face in. The more I looked at this room the more I wanted to kick myself for booking it. The walls were not insulated at all so being that it was around -10degrees outside you could feel a draft when you were near the walls. the lighting wasn't great and there was no cupboard for clothes. The hotel does have a restaurant(we didn't eat there) but it was nice and quiet at night so we slept well. Mornings however was another story, we could hear the buzz of breakfast service and all the guests walking up and down past our door....not a happy bunny. We found that the staff were not very friendly either and when i asked where Albert Cuyp market was the receptionist circled the nine streets???!! They barely cleaned the room and didn't replenish the tea/coffee sachets unless we asked. On the plus side, the location was very good as we were within walking/tram distance of most places, the shower was very very good and there is free internet. They did also leave a bottle of wine for my husband as we were there for his birthday, that was a nice gesture. Overall I would definitely stay in that area but not in this hotel.

Room Tip: Dont book a small double unless your on your own!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Me and my boyfiend just returned from a 4 night stay and would definetley go back
On arrival receptionist staff were more than helpful towards us , giving us handy tips and really welcoming,
The room was very nice small but enough space for 2 of us but the amazing shower made up for it , the facilities in the room were more than handy eg - kettle , hairdryer and t.v
The location of the hotel is spot on in a nice quiet street but 2 - 30minutes walk from main town deending on were you want to go
We eat out alot of time but that was mainly because we were out early in day , but spent most nights in hotel as it was so nice,
All in all a amazing hotel and very unique , everyone that works there were friendly :)
Will be staying there again if we return :)

Room Tip: higher rooms obvious has less noise we stayed on level 4 and found no hassle the double standard ro...
london
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed one night on a business trip and took the advice of another reviewer to stay in a Jnr Suite. The room was very spacious, had a spa bath and seperate shower. The room was cold (but it was minus 5 degrees outside). With the high room rate I was very surprised that breakfast wasn't included. At 19Euros breakfast definitely wasn't value for money so opted for just a tea (all drinks were 'help yourself').
the overall decor of the hotel is getting a little tired. the walls could do with new paint and I wouldn't like to stay in one of the ground floor rooms which looked quite small.

The bar man wasn't well trained - when we asked for a martini with some olive juice - he nearly poured in olive oil - clearly just a language problem but he wasn't trained as a bar man and didn't have a clue how to make a martini. However, was extremely courteous and helpful.

The positives; the staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the room as I say was spacious with nice decor (room 530) and if I could get a good rate that included breakfast I would probably stay again.

Room Tip: you have to pay for the internet and breakfast is often not included. I stayed in room 530, the top...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Tywyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2012

A central location, easy to get anywhere. Hotel staff are friendly, helpful and have good local knowledge. We did not use the hotel for food and drink more than once, has we found it be a little expensive for what you got with not much choice. Our room was fine and very little noise was heard. I would strongly advise using local transport for getting around, it is excellent. If arriving from schiphol airport, tickets are by the exit, from yellow machines, get ticket for Central station. From there, numerous trams go to the Museum quarter where the hotel is located. Travelling on local transport is very cheap in comparison to taxis and shuttle services. We would certainly stay here again and would recommend Amsterdam to any one. So much variety and many things to do.

Room Tip: There are four floors. So if like my good lady you do not like lifts, best ask for a lower floor.
Victorville, California
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Me and my boyfriend and his father went to the Vondel hotel in Amsterdam in the middle and end of Januray. The first trip at the beginning was a little different. They accidentally didnt check us in properly and I guess checked other people in our room and while we were sleeping had come into our room. The staff immediately made it up to us with sending a bottle of wine to our room. The staff was so nice, all spoke english and helped us get use to the city. This location was great. We walked every where. No need for a taxi or the trolly. I loved everything. Beds were great, bathroom, and breakfast was good. Definitely would stay here again!!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple