“Poorly Maintained”
Review of Hotel Blyss

Hotel Blyss
Ranked #342 of 376 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 3 October 2017

This hotel was located in the museum district with a short walks to trams to the city center. It was created combining a number of row houses. The interior is interesting, rooms are small, but likely desirable for some. What was distressing was the lack of maintenance. I arrived at 1pm but was reminded checkin was at 2pm. At 2pm I was told that the room was not ready due to maintenance issues. I finally checked in after 4 to find a small room with broken curtains, poor lighting, barely received wifi, plumbing issues in the bathroom and mostly nonworking television channels. I don't plan to visit again.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

I arrived here on 6th September as a solo traveller for 3 nights. I was greeted at reception, filled in a form with my details and paid my fee. I was given an electronic room key with the password and username for the Wi-Fi on it. The rules were explained to me - no smoking but there is a garden open until 11, check out is at 11am.

I booked a single room and was given room 210. I was immediately angry over the room I was given for the price (€345 inc. city tax) I paid. The lift takes you to the second floor where you have to walk up more stairs to your room.

Inside room 210, there is a small chair and 'desk' area as you open the door. There is a hallway towards the bed and bathroom. The bathroom was basic - toilet, shower with shower curtain, sink, mirror, bodywash and hairdryer. The bed was stick into a tight corner of the room beside the window which overlooked the garden. The window didn't open, so if you got too warm you were stuck. There is a small TV. I discovered what apeared to be blood on the doorway of the shower. I packed back up my bags and went down to reception.

I complained about the red dried fluids to the receptionist (dark haired tanned girl) by showing her photos. She called over a man, who also worked there, named Nick. He told her to call housekeeping back to fix the issue. Nick made small talk with me and asked where I was from. When I told him I was from Ireland, he insulted me by saying "please don't make a mess!". Although he did offer me a free tea.

I waited from about 7.10pm until 8.30pm before the receptionist decided to give me room 16 downstairs, which is a double room. She apologised for my wait, and then told me that the room she gave me was only supposed to be for travellers staying for one night and that she was going to put me in a different room than 210 for the next night.

Room 16 was more like what you would expect for €345. It had a double bed and same facilities as the first room. The bed was very comfortable. The shower was only half covered so it was hard not to get the floor wet. Water was hot 24/7.

I could hear the maids around my hallway from around 10am every morning. I normally didn't leave the hotel until 11 or 12, so I did not expect my room to be cleaned as they would knock and move on when I was still inside. The maids would come in and change out the bins, provide fresh towels and make the bed. The bed sheets were not changed from the 3 nights I stayed and I know because I am a smoker, and I was rolling my cigarettes on the bed before I went out and some tobacco was scattered on the bed but was still there after 'cleaning'

Checkout was simple. I was greeted with a "hello, check out?" by a blonde woman and handed her my room key and she said goodbye.

Overall, I probably would stay here again if the price was very cheap. I enjoyed the fact that the maids were too intrusive, the staff didn't bother you unless you needed help.
Vondelpark is your backyard, there is an Albert Heijn store, dominos and Starbucks right around the corner.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Nicole H
Reviewed 6 September 2017

I feel we paid too much for what we got. The family room was on the top floor, with no air conditioning. The elevator only went to the 2nd floor, so we had to haul our luggage and kids up two more flights of stairs. The bathroom had a very strong swampy smell and no amenities except for hand soap. There are a lot of choices for hotels in Amsterdam, so I would recommend looking elsewhere first.

Room Tip: Not accessible for anyone with special needs
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

My daughter booked this hotel for us and paid for it so I can't comment on cost
It's in the museums area- about a 20 minute walk to the centre but well served by tram no 1
Staff really nice and helpful too
Bedroom was basic but spotless ,very comfortable and spacious
Large windows looking on to a private garden you can sit in for drinks etc
I would use this hotel again particularly if I planned to focus on museums

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank roseannefearon
Reviewed 22 July 2017

Positives:
Polite, friendly and informative staff - The Service Desk is operated 24 hours a day.
Comfortable and clean beds - rooms are cleaned daily with fresh bedding and towels
Clean bathroom
Cycle Rental available - Cyclists in Amsterdam are well catered for with special cycle lanes everywhere.
Good location: Close to the Vondelpark, and 10 minutes walk to the Stedelijk, Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museums. There are also restaurants within walking distance. The Hotel is easy to get to via tram. See below.

Negatives:
It looks like it has been some time since the hotel was last renovated. The walls could do with being repainted or wallpapered again.
Staircases are quite steep - there is a lift/elevator but it doesn't access the 3rd floor. Also on the 2nd floor there are still some stairs to negotiate so wheelchair users or people with other mobility issues may find it difficult. Check with the hotel first before booking to make sure they can get you a suitable room.
In warm weather you may need to open the window and since it's near two main roads, the Overtoom and the Eerste Constantijn Huygensstraat there is considerable noise from the traffic and trams. This is probably true of most hotels in Amsterdam as it's a busy city with a thriving night life so not the fault of the hotel.

Overall, shop around for a good price before booking, one booking site quoted me £315 for 3 nights, where another one quoted £235 for the same period. If you can get the room cheap enough then it's good value, but don't pay over the odds.

Getting to Hotel Blyss:
Taxis are apparently very expensive in Amsterdam, so use trains and trams.
- From Amsterdam Schiphol Airport get a train into Amsterdam Centraal station, it takes about 20 minutes and costs €5.
- From Amsterdam Centraal get on the No. 1 Tram to Osdorp De Aker and get off at "1e Con. Huygensstraat" (Eerste Constantijn Huygensstraat) tram stop. Hotel Blyss is 5 minutes walk from this stop and this line runs right through the centre of Amsterdam so it's good to use when going out for the evening.
- The No 2 Tram to Nieuw Stoten for the most part runs in the same direction from Centraal Station but diverts off towards the Rijksmuseum, so you'll have to get off at Leidseplein opposite the Marriot, then it's 10 minutes walk along Vondelstraat to the hotel crossing the Eerste Constantijn Huygensstraat, a very busy road which you'll need to walk along to use the pedestrian crossing to get across safely.
In Centraal station you can buy a disposable GVB chip card for €7.50 which are valid for 24 hours. You can also buy cards which are valid for 1 hour and cost less, but this might work out more expensive if you want to visit many places. You can also buy a GVB card on the trams from a conductor who sits in a booth toward the rear of the tram.

Room Tip: Steep staircases and no access to 3rd floor via the lift might make it difficult for wheelchair user...
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo