“Hampshire ,Hotel”

Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam
Ranked #183 of 373 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Room was clean & roomy, needs a bit of Reno update, pretty good location to ferries & restaurants, concierge gentlemen was very pleasant & helpful, all up, was good. Light breakfast was a good deal.
Bathroom had an odour from the plumbing, needs to get looked at, and also bathroom was poor design as was tight to get into because of vanity shelf.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Management-Hampshire, Front Office Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Dear Guest,
thank you for writing us your experience. It is a pleasure for us to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the location. Our apologies for the inconveniences that you had with the odour in the bathroom.
We hope to welcome you again.
Kind regards,
Carine

Write a ReviewReviews (2,955)

Reviewed 15 September 2017

I stayed in the hotel for 5 nights, and had an experience that even for a 3 star hotel I would not have expected in a European city well known for tourism

The room was quite small but as the dimensions had been provided online, I guess I should have known this. The bathroom was smaller, I found it cramped even for a small person such as myself. The shower doors also left a good part of the bathroom wet.

I am particularly sensitive to pillows and need a nice simple flat one. After suffering with the pillows on the first night, I requested for a flat pillow and was told that as they have 9 different choices of pillow, they would change them. The changed pillows however gave me little respite as seemed similarly heavily stuffed.

On the morning of my second day I found that I had bites on parts of my body. I kept an open mind and did not report it. However on waking up on my third night with more bites, I immediately reported that I felt I had bed bugs. I was requested to put my clothes in plastic bags so that they could be put in a fridge to kill anything. I was asked to do this then bring the clothes to reception. This approach I found to be not very helpful or very concerned of the problem.
I therefore objected to this and told them, I would put my clothes in the bags, but leave my things in the room and they would have to sort things out in my absence as I intended to go to the conference I was attending.

On returning early evening, I was met by a manager (not sure if she was overall manager or house keeping…) who whilst cautiously apologetic, explained that they had used the infrared light to check the bed and they found no evidence of bed bugs. (She had tried to call me but being in the conference I did not answer).

The explanation provided was that they had recently put new sheets on the beds and though they had been washed twice prior to use, she too had suffered a skin rash from them. I pointed out that mine didn’t look like a rash but were bites. My room was not changed due to this diagnosis, and I gave them the benefit of the doubt. The manager had asked me to call her if all was not well the following day.

As I had put my clothes in the plastic bags, on being asked whether I needed anything I asked for an iron to press my clothes. I was promised that they would immediately send this to my room. Fifteen minutes later when it had not come I had to call and ask for it again and it eventually came.

After my 4th night’s sleep, I woke up with another bite on my shoulder. I decided that I was not going to inform them of this as I felt that really they had no desire to help and had already made their conclusion.

On my final day, when checking out, I was expecting the usual hotel conversation of how my stay was, come again etc. Instead I wasn’t asked this but was told to ‘have a nice day…’ an odd checking out response, but reflective of the level of insensitivity experienced throughout my stay.

So The Hampshire Hotel, Eden Amsterdam is not a place I will revisit. Which is a shame as its location is central and with the canal in front scenic, though my room had a little window looking into another window!. Breakfast was fine and whilst the dinner menu was limited, I did enjoy one evening meal.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Althea63
Reviewed 11 September 2017

I stayed there for 2 nights. the hotel location is good, transportation is near by tram, metro within 5 minutes walking. from it , it is a walking distance to main attractions in the city.

single room is very small, but bed is ok. price is higher than it should provide.

Room Tip: Single room has a very small window but see nothing and cannot open
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Management-Hampshire, Front Office Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Dear Guest,
thank you for writing us your experiences. Due to your comments, we are able to improve our service.
It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the location of the hotel.
Our apologies that w didn't meet with you expectations about the demensie of the room.
We hope to welcome you again.
Kind regards,
Carine

Reviewed 9 September 2017

This is a wonderful hotel. My husband and I stayed here in August, We walked to the Anne Frank house, did a canal cruise & enjoyed eating at numerous restaurants convenient to this hotel. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Overlooking the canal
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
P S, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Dear MinnesotaSam,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us.
It is good to read that the location was convenient for your stay and it would be a great pleasure to welcome you back as our guest!

Kind regards, Patricia

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I stayed at this hotel for a whole week for a business meeting and a couple more days for leisure. Unfortunately everything was paid for in advance. Otherwise I would have looked for a different hotel.

On the plus side, the location is good (maybe a bit noisy on weekends, depending on the room you get), but then so are dozens of hotels in Amsterdam. The staff was very friendly and helpful, I must say. The breakfast buffet is decent, if you don't mind paying an extra 15 EUR each morning (unless this is covered by your booking).

However, this is by no means a 4-star hotel (it was advertised as this to me, now I see on TripAdvisor that it supposedly is a 3-star, which would explain some things). The whole property seemed a bit run down and in need of some deep cleaning, and the rooms (I had 2 different ones, switched in the middle of my stay) have definitely seen much better days. They are in dire need of some redecoration. The first thing I did after checking in was phoning the reception to complain that my bathroom must have been forgotten to clean by the room service. The glass panes and the mantelpiece were smeared with greasy fingerprints and stains of all different shapes and colors, even on some of the walls. I went out for a while and upon reentering I guess some cleaning had been done, but it didn't help much, as most of the grime seems deeply ingrained into the facilities. I encountered more or less the same mess when I switched to a different room.

The hardware also left various things to be desired. Fittings of faucets were loose, and my sink was so clogged that hardly any water made its way down. This improved a bit after maintenance did some work on it. Some bathroom doors are (unfrosted) glass only, which might be disturbing for some shy folks... And I personally didn't like the one shower, where the only option is to run the huge overhead faucet. Thankfully shower caps are provided, but I'd prefer a "normal" shower head on a hose anyway...

Maybe overall cleanliness (or lack thereof) is a Dutch thing? One of my colleagues encountered similar conditions in a different hotel in Amsterdam. But anyway, at the rates they charge I expected something much better. In my opinion international standards of cleanliness and overall attire are by no means met for a 4-star establishment (also not for a 3-star). Value for money is poor. Accordingly, I wouldn't recommend this hotel and I will certainly not stay there again (or at any of the Hamspshire-hotels for that matter).

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business