“just ok hotel”

Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam
Ranked #182 of 375 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reviewed 11 September 2017

I stayed there for 2 nights. the hotel location is good, transportation is near by tram, metro within 5 minutes walking. from it , it is a walking distance to main attractions in the city.

single room is very small, but bed is ok. price is higher than it should provide.

Room Tip: Single room has a very small window but see nothing and cannot open
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Management-Hampshire, Front Office Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Dear Guest,
thank you for writing us your experiences. Due to your comments, we are able to improve our service.
It is a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed the location of the hotel.
Our apologies that w didn't meet with you expectations about the demensie of the room.
Carine

Write a ReviewReviews (3,000)

Reviewed 9 September 2017

This is a wonderful hotel. My husband and I stayed here in August, We walked to the Anne Frank house, did a canal cruise & enjoyed eating at numerous restaurants convenient to this hotel. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Overlooking the canal
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
P S, Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Dear MinnesotaSam,

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us.
It is good to read that the location was convenient for your stay and it would be a great pleasure to welcome you back as our guest!

Kind regards, Patricia

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I stayed at this hotel for a whole week for a business meeting and a couple more days for leisure. Unfortunately everything was paid for in advance. Otherwise I would have looked for a different hotel.

On the plus side, the location is good (maybe a bit noisy on weekends, depending on the room you get), but then so are dozens of hotels in Amsterdam. The staff was very friendly and helpful, I must say. The breakfast buffet is decent, if you don't mind paying an extra 15 EUR each morning (unless this is covered by your booking).

However, this is by no means a 4-star hotel (it was advertised as this to me, now I see on TripAdvisor that it supposedly is a 3-star, which would explain some things). The whole property seemed a bit run down and in need of some deep cleaning, and the rooms (I had 2 different ones, switched in the middle of my stay) have definitely seen much better days. They are in dire need of some redecoration. The first thing I did after checking in was phoning the reception to complain that my bathroom must have been forgotten to clean by the room service. The glass panes and the mantelpiece were smeared with greasy fingerprints and stains of all different shapes and colors, even on some of the walls. I went out for a while and upon reentering I guess some cleaning had been done, but it didn't help much, as most of the grime seems deeply ingrained into the facilities. I encountered more or less the same mess when I switched to a different room.

The hardware also left various things to be desired. Fittings of faucets were loose, and my sink was so clogged that hardly any water made its way down. This improved a bit after maintenance did some work on it. Some bathroom doors are (unfrosted) glass only, which might be disturbing for some shy folks... And I personally didn't like the one shower, where the only option is to run the huge overhead faucet. Thankfully shower caps are provided, but I'd prefer a "normal" shower head on a hose anyway...

Maybe overall cleanliness (or lack thereof) is a Dutch thing? One of my colleagues encountered similar conditions in a different hotel in Amsterdam. But anyway, at the rates they charge I expected something much better. In my opinion international standards of cleanliness and overall attire are by no means met for a 4-star establishment (also not for a 3-star). Value for money is poor. Accordingly, I wouldn't recommend this hotel and I will certainly not stay there again (or at any of the Hamspshire-hotels for that matter).

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank 840j_rgv
Reviewed 5 September 2017

Stayed at this hotel Sept. 2 and 3 with 8 friends after a biking vacation. It was in a great location and the room std. was nice.
The staff was very alloft and cool. The concierge not helpful at all. The breakfast was not included because of the price of our room which was approx 180 euros nightly. The only thing housekeeping did was bring towels. Never made up the room. The breakfast in bar was nice and that staff member there was very nice.
My first time to Amsterdam so perhaps this is the norm.

Room Tip: No tip except maybe don't stay there
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Our apologies for the inconvenience that you with the cleanliness and service in the room. We will also talk to the concierge team regarding his behaviour.

Reviewed 3 September 2017

Large and comfortable rooms, clean and nice. The shower is very nice, so as the team. Great location
Breakfast cost 15 euros and dosn't worth it, there's ab amarican boufe near the hostel that cost 15 euros till 11am

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Shani R
Management-Hampshire, Front Office Manager at Hampshire Hotel - Eden Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Dear Shani,
thank you for writing us your eperiences.
Due to your comments, we are able to improve our service.
It is a pleasure for to hear that you enjoyed your stay with a nice room and friendly staff.