“Great hotel but pricey breakfast”

Ranked #137 of 367 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel but pricey breakfast”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Great hotel and an easy walk from the station, even with luggage. Our room was on the first floor facing away from the station, so was lovely and quiet. The room was well equipped although I did have to ask for milk to make a cup of tea - how english! The swimming pool was a plus after a hard day of sight seeing. The room was very clean and the staff efficient and friendly.

My only critisism would be the cost of the breakfast (which they heavily advertise in the hotel). At E24 per person I didn't think it justified the cost particularly when there are so many eateries just a stone's throw from the hotel, all of which were superb.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Helena C
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
Dear Helena,
Thank you for your comments; I am delighted that you found the hotel suited to your needs. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Best wishes,

Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I stayed last friday and saturday at the park plaza victoria and I am satisfied with my stay at the hotel. The hotelstaff were very friendly. Especially the Concierge staff and the night staff.
It was my first time in amsterdam, and I didn't know what are the best places to go out. The guy who was working at night recommanded me a very good club, and he arranged a guestlist for me for free entrance :D , I was very happy with that. I will definetily come here next time.

Best Regards

N. McCartey

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear Nelly, Thank you so much for your comments; I am delighted that you found the hotel suited to your needs, and our team friendly and helpful. The Concierge Staff and Night Crew were thrilled about your awesome feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Best wishes

Holywood, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2012

wonderful location with very comfortable rooms and fabulous staff especially the concierge! asked for and got a complimentry upgrade to executive suite with king size bed! only criticism was that the service in the brasserie was poor!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
jwroenhorst, General Manager at Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Dear Ulsterwolf,

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay at the hotel. It is comments like these that enable us to motivate our team to achieve greater heights. I do sincere apologize the service in the Brasserie was not what you expected. Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back. Best wishes

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2012

For my 40th, my wife booked a couple nights stay at this hotel. We arrived only to be told that they were fully booked but we could stay at their sister hotel, upgraded to a suite and the taxi paid for. They also gave us the option of coming back the next day and staying in the suite we were supposed to be in, again no taxi expense. Much to our dismay we agreed to this, knowing that something was amiss as we were being driven further outside of the city and the taxi driver said it was another 10-15 minutes away! We asked the driver to stop and to get in touch with the hotel and to tell them we were not happy. After returing to the hotel we explained that it wasn't good enough as we had spent more time in the taxi than we did on the train from the airport! The reception staff seemed to be put out by all of this and not once we were offered an apology, even after checking out. They soon found a room but it wasn't the suite we paid for but the suite was available the next day, which we moved to without hesitation as the level of hygiene in the room was disgraceful. Outside the room, smelt as if someone had defacted and the smell inside was atrocious and the carpet hadn't been introduced to a hoover in sometime as there was a nail clipping next to the bed, nice. Once we moved to the suite, we had no complaints and we have none with Amsterdam but the hotel left us with a sour taste. Reflecting back, the taxi driver said they had probably sold our room as they had one of their busiest weekends, so even he knew why we were fobbed off!

1 Thank Ryan B
Dear Ryan,
I was disappointed and distressed to read your comments about the service you received when you checked in for two day’s recently. We pride ourselves on making everyone’s stay a very memorable experience but your remarks suggest that this was certainly not the case.
What went wrong on the night in question is more difficult to ascertain without knowing all the facts but of course, after a given time, if there is no show from a guest and no advanced warning, staff are entitled to re-sell the room and perhaps this is what occurred on what was undoubtedly an exceptionally busy weekend.
I suspect that that taxi was probably transporting you to our sister hotel, in the Amsterdam suburb and I am quite sure that if you had arrived there, you would have been more than satisfied with the facilities available to you; with its state of the art décor and spacious sleeping quarters. Sadly this did not occur and when you came back to our hotel, the staff had to make impromptu contingency plans which unfortunately did not meet with your expectations.
Once again, on behalf of all of our dedicated staff here at the Victoria, may I convey my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience these events may have caused you - although it has never been our intention to exploit any situation – regardless of the opportunities perhaps to do so.
Let me re-assure you once again, (as so may of the comments on Trip Advisor will aptly testify) most of our guests are more than satisfied with the services we provide and return again and again because of our guest friendly nature and our implacable pursuit of excellence.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2012

The hotel was very convenient as it is right opposite to the Amsterdam Centraal station and in the middle of all Amsterdam attractions. The room is decent but though we are a couple we were provided with two single beds. The itinerary clearly mentioned 1 queen bed but we were not provided that. Also the bathroom had just shower and not a bath tub. We haven't tried the food at the hotel as it is a bit expensive.

Dear Harish P
Thank you taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at the hotel.
I am delighted that you found the hotel suited to your needs. It seems you have stayed in one of our recent renovated ‘Urban” rooms. All those rooms have a walk in shower with a powerful massage shower head! If you prefer a room with a bath tub I would advise to reserve a room in our ‘Victoria’ wing. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Best wishes,