All reviews tram stop city centre nice hotel beautiful park number tram central station artis zoo laundry room street market separate toilet key card recommend this hotel tea and coffee facilities takes about minutes public transport hotel is located three nights
Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

The hotel lived up to our expectations. Located in a peaceful neighbourhood with easy access to the tram station just in front and supermarkets and restaurants within a kilometres walk. Less than 10 minutes walk to the Dappermarkt as well which was really worth visiting.
Our 10th floor room had wonderful views of the OosterPark and beyond.
The room and the bathroom were quite small but sufficient.
The staff at the reception was helpful at all times.
The breakfast was the highlight, good variety and a great view of the park through the large glass windows.
Overall, more than satisfactory.

Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Ingrid d, General Manager at Amsterdam Tropen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2018

Dear Satyajit,

thank you so much for your kind words. I passed on the compliments to the staff.

Reviewed 12 August 2018

Great location set in the parklands and surrounded by greenery. Interesting sixties feel and architecture which is a stark contrast to the Museum next door and so you will either love or hate how the hotel looks from the outside. The bar and breakfast areas almost feel like you are in a garden and the breakfast buffet was excellent. The downside is that the rooms were very basic and it felt like being in a university dorm, which is sort of what the hotel originally was, being a facility for visiting scholars working at the Troppen museum next door. If you are spending a lot of time in your room, this might be an issue, but if you simply need a place to sleep in a great location and with an interesting history and connections, then this could be a good choice. They have a laundry room for guests which I used and which worked well.

Room tip: Higher floors might be quieter but would mean a longer wait for the lifts. Also the level of noise may depend on your neighbours
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business

Dear brushtailp0ssum,

thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

I stayed at Hotel Tropen from 5th to 10th August 2018. In my opinion it is a good hotel with a couple of faults.
The staff at reception are all really friendly and helpful, it was very hot while I was there, requested a second fan as one in the room was useless, got the fan instantly with no questions asked. I then requested a rectangular pillow, ones on bed are square like a cushion and very soft, pillow was brought to room within minutes. The bed was large but toilet very small and claustrophobic.

My room was on tenth floor overlooking Ooster park and had brilliant views, unfortunately the band stand was below us and had loud music playing til 3am three of out five nights, not the hotels fault.
In my opinion the rooms could really do with having fridges in them and possibly air conditioning, as these let it down.

Personally I did not think the breakfast was wirth the 12.50 euros, can’t comment on the bar as I never seen it open.

The hotel is really easily accessible from city centre, number 14 tram from outside centraal, get off at Akexanderplein, cross canal and take a left, sign posted, 2 mins from stop. There are also some nice readtaurants fir eating and drinking across from the hitel as well as 2 supermarkets and a chemist.

I would only return to/reccomend this hotel if they installed fridges in the rooms and maybe air con.

One last thing watch out for the bikes, trams and cars when crissing the road.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Jackie,

thank you for your feedback! I am sorry to hear that the band played for that long!
I have ordered mini fridges that are available upon request and availability. So looking forward to seeing you soon!
Please let me know when you visit what we can improve on the breakfast and have a drink in our bar, it's always open!

Warm regards,

Elvira

Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

I stayed at Tropen hotel from 6th to 9th August me and my 2 friends, we had a early flight and turned up at the hotel around 9am only to ask if we could drop our luggage while we explore Amsterdam, as we got to the reception we met a very lovely smiling young lady called jaymelee she was amazing she told us we could actually go to our room as the room is ready;) we were not expecting this at all and all through out our stay jaymelee carried on giving us the v.i.p treatment what a service with a smile 100 percent returning back to Tropen! A very big thank you to jaymelee every single staff was so helpful and couldn’t have done more we also met a lady called cemre who was very friendly and helpful along with a gentleman called Zakir who was Also very helpful, I have visited Amsterdam 6 times before but never to Tropen but from now on it will only be Tropen:) we had room 1001 I asked when booking to get a hi floor if possible after reading reviews and had the top floor with amazing views! Rooms very clean and spacious easy check in and out, we had few drinks at the bar but no breakfast so I can’t commnet on that, drinks very reasonably priced only 15 mins from city centre and a great place 2 mins from hotel called smoke place which is amazing to have some smoke and drinks, would recommend you to check out the artis zoo which is only round the corner, overall guys don’t think just book it’s the place to be Tropen hotel is just perfect!! Thank you to everyone at Tropen see you soon

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Ferdi122

Dear Ferdi,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I passed on the compliments to Jamylee. We hope to see you soon!

Warm regards,
Elvira

Reviewed 9 August 2018

I have just come back from a business trip to Amsterdam and stayed for two nights at the Tropen Hotel in Amsterdam. The hotel is dreadful. Now, it was incredibly hot (34 degrees during the day) and the hotel doesn't have air con, anywhere! The hotel has electric fans and I twice asked at reception for one from a room where people had checked out and nothing was done about it, despite them promising to leave one in my room.

Also, in the park next to the hotel there were events going on till 4am both nights so sleeping was incredibly difficult. I also had two twin beds pushed together to form a double. The twin beds were of differing heights and differing firmness - they weren't even close!!

There was also a balcony on every floor of the hotel. The balcony on my floor could be easily accessed by climbing out of the windows (this was the only access). This created a big security issue as you could walk along the balcony to outside another room on the same floor very easily, therefore I didn't want to leave my windows open during the day to get some fresh air in.

I was also bitten to shreds during the nights. My colleagues were too. So if you are suspect to insect bites I wouldn't recommend.

The breakfast was bland and limited and very expensive for what it was.

Other little things - there was no hotel information in the room. There are no plug sockets anywhere near the beds. There are small raised steps around most of the doors which are very easy to trip over. Bedside lights weren't bright enough for anything, especially reading. The room generally wasn't particularly clean. The curtains don't join properly so a gap in the middle let a lot of light in.

Wouldn't stay again - probably the worst hotel I've stayed in.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank David B

Dear David,

I am sorry to read that your stay was not as expected. We will discuss all your feedback in our teams so we can improve on the subjects mentioned.