“Delicious steak in friendly atmosphere”

Gauchos - Beethovenstraat
Reserve with
Gauchos - Beethovenstraat is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #481 of 4,134 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$24 - US$71
Cuisines: Argentinian
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Gauchos Beethoven Street, in the heart of the financial district. Perfectly located between the RAI and the Hilton.The tram stops in front of the door and the car can be parked anywhere.Gauchos Beethoven Street is open 7 days a week from 17:00 in the afternoon.The Best Steak in Town.
Reviewed 7 June 2017

Having arrived late at my hotel I was told about a good steak restaurant 15 minutes away. As it was already quite late on a Sunday evening I called to say I was coming and was told that they would keep the kitchen open for me. I am glad I did that as I was not disappointed! I had a very tasty mustard soup to start but then, my rib-eye steak was simply excellent: I asked for it to be cooked rare and it was grilled to perfection; the acompanying chips were thin and crispy and plentiful and I was given complimentary mayo, ketchup and chimichurri relish. The staff were very friendly. I will certainly recommend this restaurant to anyone staying in the Amsterdan Ziud area.

Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

Dined here this evening as a gluten free option for two of the family. Nice ambiance. When arrived for reserved table was asked where we would like to sit (nice). Waitress brought some colouring material for our kids, and asked us for drinks a few times and took order fairly efficiently. Then she disappeared for the remainder of the evening (at least for our table).

Food arrived...we went with a kids menu (Decent /good value for Price at 10 Euro)...:with Option of checken, Steak, or Ribs with fries and apple sauce. Ordered a Bife de Chorizo which was fairly tasteless and a little over cooked from what we ordered. Ordered a Bife de Lomo which was very good and cooked nice. Ordered an order of ribs which was semi-tender, but not fall off the bone ribs. To top it off sauce burnt making ribs taste not great. BBQ Sauce ordered was not that good, and lacked any punch/taste. More like ketchup versus BBQ sauce. I would have complained or commented at the restaurant but no one came by to see how the meal was. Not even at the end when the bill came. Moderately priced even with a kids meal with the bill coming to over 100 Euro for 3 adult meals, 1 kids meal, 2 glasses of wine and a few soda pops.

Overall was not very impressed for a place supposed to be steeped in Argentinian tradition and quality. I have spent many months living and working in Argentina and cook a lot of beef myself. I likely will try another place before coming back. Like anything, perhaps the kitchen and waitress just had an off night, but this is prime time Saturday night in a popular area so they can't afford to be off their game. Seemed more like it was trying to be like an American chain restaurant versus authentic Argentinian.

Suggestions to managers/staff...focus on clients, check to see how food is tasting about 3 minutes after it is served, check the food prior to letting it leave the kitchen, and above all need to make the food experience something amazing for customers that want to come back. Also had the feeling from the menu and the bill about add-ones being a large part of their strategy. I realize it is a business to make money, however when asked if we would like bread with the meal and then being charged 4 euros for it, just kind of cheapens the experience...same goes for this trend in charging for chimichurri sauce (an Argentinian staple that should be standard at each table).

To end on a few positives, nice decor, nice patio, and drink menu seemed adequate. Not the worst, not the best....just your average restaurant that could be improved with a few right tweaks.

Reviewed 8 May 2017

Great customer service, great food (the meat was cooked exactly how I ask), and great price. I'll definitely recommend this restaurant !

Reviewed 14 April 2017 via mobile

Had a great meal here. Steaks are fantastic as we're the accompaniments. Service excellent and sleek. Will return.

Reviewed 9 April 2017

I was taken here by a friend and warned to have a good appetite: the steaks are plenty thick, quite deep, and accompanied by a small pot of salad or chips.

Service is nice and pleasant (we were quite late into the night) and tranquil; we'd had several beers by the time the meal came but it's not good to rush cooking!