“Excellent food, fantastic service, great environment for a business dinner”
Review of Bolenius

Bolenius
Ranked #94 of 4,472 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: French, Dutch
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

We had a business dinner here for 8 people, the tables are well spaced so that your conversation isn't overheard. We had a 5 course tasting menu and the food was fantastic. The mixture of flavours was superb and the portions not too big, you feel full but not stuffed. The service was excellent as well. Attentive without being fussy. Wine glasses always topped up before you have emptied it. A great list of wines to go with it.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed 26 January 2018

I was invited by a business partner to have dinner at Bolenius. The staff was absolutely amazing! They are masters. They were so thoughtful and kind. The food is of excellent quality and produced locally, which I fully support. The restaurant has a Michelin star and it is well-deserved.

Unfortunately, the courses they surprised us with were simply not what I like. I literally did not like the taste of any of the courses. I don't like crab, they served crab. I don't like pork belly fat, they served pork belly fat. The vegetable dish tasted bland. I guess I was simply unlucky that the choices the cook had made were everything I don't like. Therefore, perhaps it's best to be more specific about what you do and do not like. I let them surprise me and it did no go well. I skipped dessert, so I cannot say anything about that.

Finally, the restaurant is very expensive. Expect to pay about 150 EUR per person. Given that I did not like what I ate it was overpriced for me.

1  Thank MA891
Reviewed 15 January 2018

One could not expect such refinement and elegance in modern office buildings of Amsterdam Zoud (WTC) business area! It is almost a pity that the surrounding is so business-like and in the evening quite deserted.

But it is worth the detour! It blends the best Dutch ingredients (even a local garden apparently!) from sea (if you are seafood and/or lactose allergic probably not first pick) and land in an elegant, creative and tasteful way. The staff is competent, friendly and eager to explain and promote the creations.

Reviewed 24 November 2017

I dined here three years ago, before the star, and was glowing about the novelties I had then: beet in clay and the Dutch candy store ..... They still are. The quality and mise-en-plat have not changed. The service is still personable. All worth a Dutch star.

Reviewed 24 October 2017 via mobile

Had dinner here yesterday with my family. First of all I have to admit that we’re all quite spoiled when it comes to restaurants (check my other reviews). When reviewing a restaurant my priorities are always: 1. Food (taste and creativity) 2. Service 3. Decor and ambiance (if 1. and 2. are fantastic, I’ll have my dinner in a basement).
Presentation at Bolenius was pretty, lots of vegetables (which I approve of), though not spectacular when it came to taste (lots of acidity, less savory than I had hoped). Fish course with beurre noisette was nice, unfortunately there were still many bones in there, which is no problem if it had been extensively pointed out when served.
The mussel/pumpkin course was weird, tasting only like mushy pumpkin while sensing something firm in there once in a while, which must have been a mussel. Mussels absolutely not the star of the show. The main problem was the way the extras were served. Starting this course we were asked if we would like a small teaspoon of Dutch caviar served with it. We acquiesced, stupidly, because it did not improve the dish and we were presented with an extra 12€ per teaspoon on the bill. Why is it that some restaurants refrain from informing their guests appropriately, so they can give informed consent? What would be wrong with just asking if you want this while giving the price for this extra treat? Afterwards they told us that it was written on the menu, I have an extremely good visual memory, and can tell you that it was not mentioned in the Alliance menu.
We’ve encountered behavior like this in the past, and exactly these experiences are reason for us to stay away. It is disrespectful towards the client. A doctor would be in trouble treating a patient this way.
Along the way suddenly an extra course of beet baked in clay was served without asking us, which was very nice and NOT on the bill. I was asking myself why later that night and realized that this course (which is in the more extensive tasting menu) has to be prepared very early and since we were the last guests it was probably decided to serve it to us instead of wasting it. This was of course very nice.
Last point is that we arrived around 19.45 and just after 22 ( and 6 courses, amuses and coffee and sweets later) we were already standing outside. Our oldest mentioned he had never rushed through a meal like this before.
Maybe they’re more used to business lunches in this area?

1  Thank Bloemski