“Indispensable, functional space that's lively and manageable”
Review of Centraal Station

and up
Private Tour: Amsterdam Like A Local
Ranked #6 of 584 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Owner description: Completed in 1889 and located in the heart of town, this neo-Renaissance rail station was designed by P.J.H. Cuypers, the same person who designed the famous Rijksmuseum.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I've spent a fair amount of time in the Centraal Station over my weeks in Amsterdam. There was my own arrival, a long wait for a friend's arrival (long, because I had the wrong day), the eventual arrival of that friend, several day trips out and back ... I'm not crazy about bustling crowds, but this place is more than okay. (Okay, I'm looking at the functionality here and ignoring the grand architecture.)

The ticket dispensers are easy. Even if dispensing machines in the past have left you scarred, these are polite and self-explanatory. Don't let people waiting behind you get you flustered; there are plenty of machines. (Somewhere there's a human selling tickets, but I never went there.) Directional signs are well-placed, and there are information people all over the place (as well as in designated booths). Side note: if you're doubtful, ask someone in an official capacity. I took the wrong train when I first got to town because I asked another foreigner.)

Small things: I've heard no less than a dozen impromptu piano concerts played on the grand piano in the main hall. That always creates a nice mood. While I was waiting for the friend who was arriving the next day, I watched two maintenance guys scrupulously scrape up dried gum and wipe down all the marble molding around the window seats. I mean, they were wiping it down with a little hand-held pieces of cloth like they were at home. (They were also helpful to travelers with questions.)

Write a ReviewReviews (12,794)
All reviews
in 194 reviews
"bicycles"
in 109 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

This place is simply huge. The outside is just beautiful, such a great building and worth a few photos. However inside, it’s easy to get lost and trains come quick, make sure you know where you are going and leave yourself enough time.

1  Thank lifenadventure
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Lovely building, clean and easy to negotiate. Everyone really helpful and friendly, some shopping available here.

1  Thank lora-luca
Reviewed 5 April 2018

the running of centraal station is just amazing everything flows with no delays or dilly dallying / brilliant !

1  Thank grettaspoon
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We used the metro every day in Amsterdam. We purchased the 72 hour GVB ticket which works out to save you a lot of money if like us you are staying outside central Amsterdam. The building is beautiful and it's easy to find the place for your metro/train. My only complaint is that the shop near the platform for number 53 only takes cash or another form of pay using your phone. As we had no cash on us we couldn't purchase anything and sadly there are no ATM's in the station.

1  Thank Katie G