“Gotta See Van Gogh!”

Ranked #3 of 657 things to do in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Discover the world's largest collection of works by Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, featuring masterpieces such as Sunflowers, The Potato Eaters, Almond Blossom and The Bedroom.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We went to the Van Gogh Museum the day after we went to the Rijksmuseum, and it suffered by comparison, which was not at all what we expected. We got tickets online, got there early, bought the audio tour guides, and ended up staying for four-and-a-half hours (we went through the Japan exhibit as well), so it's not like we gave it short shrift.

It was great seeing the paintings up close and being able to fully appreciate the artist's technique. (It would be such a good idea to tell people up front they aren't allowed to photograph. I saw lots of people being scolded.) It was also good to be schooled at what a remarkable craftsman Van Gogh was and not just someone with mental illness and an artistic bent.

The experience came up short because of some fogginess regarding the arc of Van Gogh's life/work. This wasn't the case in the Japan portion, but the general installation lacked overall ... something ... perspective? Focus? I don't know. The other disappointment was the audio guide. In contrast to the Rijksmuseum, the commentary seemed fluffy and juvenile just when we'd gotten used to meaty and consequential.

I'm not sorry we went. I'm sorry I'm not rapt and full of glowing remarks.

Write a ReviewReviews (54,919)
All reviews
in 304 reviews
"time slot"
in 261 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

The van gogh museum is built flawlessly ... its interior is well luminated and efficient making it easy even for a firstcomer to move around! Its exhibitions are very interesting and well structured as well as easy to follow and not tiring! Deffinetely a recommendation

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

If you are a van Gogh fan, this is definitely a must-see. Surprising that his most vaunted paintings like the 'sunflower' and 'almond blossom' are not large canvases as one imagined them to be. His 'Starry starry nights' is at MOMA, NYC. More surprising was learning how heavily influenced he was by Japanese art but unfortunately those prints are not as prolific online or found in other museum gift shops.

Reviewed 6 April 2018

I pre-purchased my Van Gogh Museum tickets online 2 months before my visit for the last time slot of the day because I had Anne Frank tickets for 12 noon the same day. If I didn't pre-purchase, I would have missed seeing the Van Gogh Museum because everyone walking up to purchase tickets during my time slot were turned away because the museum was at capacity and tickets were sold out for the day. It taught me to always pre-purchase online whenever the venue offers this option. Never leave it to chance. I am so thankful I was able to see this museum.