2,963 results
All reviews the red light district flying dutchman butler service hermes toiletries restaurant bridges luxury room junior suite dam square turn down service wonderful hotel five star hotel canal view the heart of the city the location is perfect nespresso machine anne frank house van gogh museum
Reviewed 24 July 2009

The hotel is centrally located, 10 minutes walk to the Central Station. But some locals got it mixed up with other Sofitel and it took us a while to find it.

Although it is right next to the red light district, it is tucked away and is quiet and safe. It is close to most sight seeing places.

The room is spacious, tastefully refurnished and well designed. The bathroom is simple, clean and contemporary. I am very fussy about bathroom and I was happy with this. But water leaked from the glass partition of the shower. The hotel is still undergoing some major renovation but it did not create any noise. They provided free internet at the business centre.

The restaurant was a pleasant surprise. The food was nice and not too over priced. It is trully a five star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
SofitelAmsterdamTGA, The Hotel Management at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2009

Dear Guest, We would like to thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments about your stay at Sofitel Amsterdam The Grand. We were very happy to read that you liked our newly renovated rooms and that you were pleasantly surprised by our restaurant. We are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and are looking forward to welcoming you soon again. Yours sincerely, The Hotel Management

Reviewed 11 May 2009

I stayed at this hotel more then once. Great place. Check out the cafe's around the corner, like Cafe de Pool in de Oude Hoogstraat 8, one bridge away. This is my favorite. They have a great art collection of 40 works on the wall by contemporary Dutch artists. This 85 year old artist-cafe is different from the rest in the neighborhood, and a great place for coffee, sandwich or a beer ;-)

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank marcel v
Reviewed 7 April 2009

Stayed at the Sofitel Grand in Amsterdam for a 2 night weekend break with my boyfriend. The hotel is in the perfect location but not next door to any noisy bars or cafes.
Hotel staff were very friendly, not one problem while we were there. Only thing which was a bit disappointing is that we were put in one of their older rooms which has seen better days and the bed was too soft for our liking. All in all the room was very clean and had a lovely view to the canel behind the hotel, just a shame about the decor. Room was quiet, couldn't hear any of the other hotel guests which was nice because I'm a light sleeper and normally in hotels I can hear other room doors stamming shut late at night or early morning.
The pool, steam and sauna was nice after a long day sight seeing, very clean.
Highly recommend but would advise that you ask for a nice newer room.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NCL19
Reviewed 26 March 2009

we (2 couples) stayed at this hotel for one night in mid march - a brief weekend stay in Amsterdam to celebrate my wife's recovery from illness.

we checked in at 11 a.m; it was somewhat disappointing to be told that neither of our rooms were ready despite asking in advance for at least one room to be prepared for an early check in, but it didn't really matter and our bags were put aside whilst we went out for lunch. as we checked in, we asked if our rooms were nice, and one of our party requested the availability of refurbished rooms; we each secured these for a €40 premium, and went out for lunch.

when we returned at about 3.30 pm, our rooms were ready, and they were spectacular. beautifully decorated, immaculately clean and a fantastic bathroom, with a good sized walk in shower; really top notch.

at the same time, my wife and I each booked a treatment in the spa; she opted for a reflexology session, and I chose a deep tissue massage. we then wandered over to dam sq (300m away) for a bit of people watching in the cafe there.

we also asked the concierge for a good steak restaurant; he recommended the informal torro de rado where we enjoyed the best steaks we have ever had in our lives and the most tender ribs. it was however well more than a 10 minute walk from the hotel as the concierge thought; it was especially difficult for our ladies in high heels; next time we'd get a taxi. incidentally, the next day the same concierge suggested we went to the bakerswinkel for breakfast. it too was spot on, just across dam sq from the hotel.

we returned to the hotel in time for our treatments. my wife emerged from her reflexology session with Dan looking 10 years younger and glowing; my hour long massage with Sarah shot by in what felt like 20 mins and I felt fab. If both ladies read this review, many thanks. we have both had treatments in many other places, but both agreed that these 2 were the tops

I also went for a swim before my massage; nice pool, nice changing rooms; adequate to stretch off any jet lag. There is also a small reasonably equipped gym, and a couple of sauna cabins.

the hotel is located just on the edge of the red light area, and you have to go through this area to get to Dam Sq, but its not threatening as it once was several years ago, and there were plenty of police in evidence. prostitution is clearly legal in Holland, and the site of scantily dressed women touting for business in the infamous Amsterdam glass doorways is not for the faint hearted.

When we returned to the hotel at about 12.30 a.m, we asked if there was a bar open. We were directed upstairs to a comfortable lounge (the bar is apparently being refurbished) and we were well looked after by the pleasant barman 'til about 1.30, tho we were the only ones in the lounge.

At the heart of any of our stays is the question of cleanliness; we will not be happy with anywhere which is dirty or grubby. This hotel was immaculate, with crisp bed linen and towels, and clean bedrooms, bathrooms and common areas. Coupled with a wonderful location, brilliant concierge and well organised (our masseuses came into the hotel to meet our bookings; they seem to be 'sub contracted' by the hotel) and of the highest standards massage treatments, we would immediately and happily stay here again.

this hotel wasn't cheap, but for 1 night the price wasn't the be all and end all of our stay. it was beautiful and we have no criticisms to make; we'll be back

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank philipellis
Reviewed 12 March 2009

The Grand is possibly my favorite hotel in the world, having worked in 25 countries.

But, nevertheless:

I confess to being somewhat... disappointed with my stay November 12 - 15, 2008.

I have repeatedly recommended the hotel in the past to my firm's clients over the past decade.

Now... I am not so sure.

The stay was OK, but just that... OK.

I had room 8, I believe.

In the room, in the shower, the tray to hold toiletries was missing. So, all of the toiletries had to be picked up off the floor. The drawer in the table was broken. It stuck out and made sitting at the table uncomfortable.

Both issues were reported, a staffer came and nothing was done, the tray was not replaced, the drawer was not fixed.

I was advised, that "yes" the desks have that problem, and it has been pointed out, and can't be fixed.

The breakfasts were as always spectacular, the "chocolate" dinner was revolting. My friend tried the alternative dishes and liked them, I months later still shudder at the not wholly supressed memory of chicken or squab with (ugh) chocolate sauce.

Overall, a decent stay, but not a Sofitel Grand experience.

The staff, were, as always, absolutely excellent.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple