2,964 results
All reviews the red light district flying dutchman butler service hermes toiletries restaurant bridges luxury room junior suite dam square turn down service wonderful hotel five star hotel canal view the heart of the city the location is perfect nespresso machine anne frank house van gogh museum
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Like others, I almost did not stay here because of the negative comments about proximity to the red light district and noise. We are on the 3rd floor, overlooking the canal and it is lovely. No noise at all. The red light district is not close - you have to make an effort to get there. We have stayed previously at the Fusion Suites and although liked it very much, we wanted to be a bit more central and have more amenities. The Fusion is really a B&B. The Sofitel is very comfortable, and although a larger luxury hotel it retains it dutch feeling. The area is lovely and central to everything. I was on my own a good deal as my husband was attending a conference and at no time did I worry about walking on my own or around the area of this hotel. The concierge has sent us to wonderful restaurants (not touristy ones - more where the dutch would eat). the staff are very friendly and always remember our names. After a long day walking, I truly appreciated the long deep bathtub. If you want a cute canal house - this is not for you but if you want luxury, amenities, excellent staff and a great location, then look at the Sofitel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Bonjour madame & monsieur,

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback, I am delighted to read you got to know our Ambassadors, and the concierges in particular, as an excellent team.

It also a pleasure to learn you enjoyed your stay in the city centre of Amsterdam and especially in The Grand. I have to agree with you that even though it’s close to the Red Light District, the hotel is in fact located in the most authentic and beautiful part of Amsterdam.

Should you plan to visit Amsterdam again, may I inform you we also have 14 uniquely designed Suite Apartments available, converted 17th century canal houses that combine the luxury and amenities of the hotel with the coziness of your own apartment (they have great bath tubs as well!).

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Best regards,

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Ignore the reviews saying this hotel is in the red light district and a seedy part of the city. It is a beautiful hotel, in its own courtyard. My wife and I walked all over Amsterdam from the hotel, and never felt we were in an undesirable area. The staff were very helpful, the rooms were lovely, well equipped and a good size. The fish restaurant was well worth visiting as well, with some really tasty dishes. Highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank drivervet

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments you gratified us with! We are honoured by such compliments.

We look forward to welcoming you again, over your next visit to Amsterdam.

Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam

Reviewed 27 March 2012

We arrived on Thursday and were welcomed by the doorman. Checking was easy but we were not shown to our room and the presentation of the hotel services and facilities was all too brief. The room was a good size and well maintained and the housekeeper was always on hand to assist if necessary. We have no complaints regarding noise from either inside or outside the hotel in the evenings. Whilst having a quiet drink in the bar a mouse appeared around my girlfriends feet. This was reported to the barman and he joked that it was probably the cheeseboard that attracted it.

We took an hours tour on the hotel boat which was very pleasant and we were lucky enough to be the only couple. A nice trip but no narrative from the skipper.

On the whole very good but not sure the staff treat all guest alike perhaps.

Room Tip: A lot of work be carried out externally so check out the window of your room as you may be close to some of the activities
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
SofitelLegendTGA, General Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Bonjour, god morgen Mark,

First of all I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback. I can assure you I will share your comments with my team today, as your experience is of great value to us.

Mark, should your travel plans for the future include Amsterdam again, please note that it would my pleasure to take care of your reservation personally.

I hope to welcome you back soon to one of Amsterdam's most historic buildings.

Farvel,

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Very nice hotel with very friendly staff. Clean, spacious rooms, nice bathrooms. They could have some more cushion on the pillow topper for the bed for my preference. The windows are not sound proofed. The door is not sound proofed at all. The location is said to be near Red Light district but it is actually far enough to not notice anything at all. There are often celebrities staying at this hotel.

Room Tip: The most quiet rooms are facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments about the rooms and the friendliness of our ambassadors.

At Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam we believe that your night’s rest is one of our main responsibilities. We offer you the comfort of Sofitel MyBed: a big, ultra cozy bed with feather and down duvet and top-mattress to wrap you up in soft, relaxing comfort. To seamlessly meet your personal needs, we present you with the Pillow Menu, offering five different types of pillows for your convenience. I am very sorry to learn from your comment that we did not made you fully aware of this service.

Regarding your comment about the noise pollution, as we are situated directly in the historical city centre of Amsterdam, it is very difficult to exclude all street noises. I am fully aware of this, but as a monumental building we are not allowed to place double glazing. Your advice to book a room facing the inner garden or courtyard is indeed the best choice for guests looking for a quiet stay.

I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Vennlig hilsen,

Reviewed 24 March 2012

I spent 5 magical days in this hotel in January 2012... Everything from the kind door man in a front of the hotel and checking in to every single detail during my stay and checking out, was perfect... I used butler service, and it was great, everything you need, they provide... for example, I needed tickets for some really great museums, Hermitage & Van Gogh... I asked, and in 5 minutes, they provided me with the tickets, so i didn't have to wait in a long lines in front of museums... Also, few times I asked for some restaurant recommendations, and every time they told me for some excellent restaurants, they even booked me a table in some of the best restaurants in Amsterdam. Also, the hotel's restaurant, "Bridges" is one of the best restaurants I ever visited in my life, the best sea food I ever tasted...

I booked my room online, and after I arrived, I asked the staff of the hotel to show me some other rooms and suites they had available at that moment, and they were kind enough to show me...in the end, I took Junior suite... Cleanliness, bed quality (one of the most comfortable beds I ever used), the view... everything was great...

If u want to use butler service, ask for Mauricio, the best butler in the world!

This is high class hotel, very professional, very good in every single way... They are there for you, no matter what you need or ask, they can make it happen, with smile and treatment you can only imagine! If you want to stay in one of the best hotels ever, go to The Grand, you won't regret it! I ll back soon, that is for sure!

Room Tip: My junior suite was great, but heating was not so good, needed to use extra heaters...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
SofitelLegendTGA, Manager at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2012

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing this wonderful review regarding your stay at Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam. It is an absolute honour to read your words about the service provided by our Butler Service Department. Especially the grand words you have written about our butler Mauricio. We always aim to cater to all our guests’ desires.

It is delightful to learn of your experience in our restaurant BRIDGES. We would also like to thank you for your remark and would like to inform you this has been taken into action

The entire team looks forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,