“Great food and service”

Cuisines: Indonesian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Vondelpark
Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

We were strolling by with another couple and they happened to have a table, what luck for us! Fixed menu with meat or vegan options- can't comment on the vegan option but the carnivore option was very tasty with medium heat. Yum!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,171)

Reviewed 12 October 2018 via mobile

The restaurant was short handed and had to open for dinner a few minutes late, which was no big deal for us because we weren’t in a hurry. Went and had a drink somewhere and came back, and the server (who I believe is the owner) was so nice and apologetic they were closed initially that he gave us two free beers. His service was top notch, the food was excellent, and a great intro to Indonesian food. Can’t recommend it enough

Reviewed 11 October 2018

The Kartika was recommended to us as the best place to sample Indonesian food. On the night that we arrived there, the waiter apologised and said that they were very short staffed but he was able to give us a table if we were happy to take one of just two menus - the meat or vegetarian set menu (rice table). We chose the vegetarian. The waiter was very attentive and quickly produced some crackers and the wine we ordered. The rice table arrived quite quickly with about 20 different dishes (I didn't count). They were all delicious, but many of them were quite spicy - hotter than we had expected. That was fine for me but bear it in mind if you really don't like hot spicy. Not sure if they have a bigger menu when they have a full staff complement, but we'd be happy to go back. At the end of the meal, they served a small bowl of ice cream - the bowls were ice cold too so I suspect had been in the freezer, which kept the ice cream really cold as you ate it. The bill arrived as a simple round number - 50 Euros for the two of us plus two glasses of wine each.

1  Thank Andyabz
Reviewed 10 October 2018

I had enjoyed good Indonesian food in Amsterdam years ago, so was eager to try it again during our brief stay. Kartika was a new place to me, and by far the best I have had to-date. The set menu was just what we wanted, and the price was good. The dishes were all deliciously prepared and presented, and the service great. I wish we could get this type of food back home! I highly recommend trying Indonesian food if you never have, and Kartika is the perfect place to do that.

Reviewed 9 October 2018

Our first experience with Indonesian food, and it was wonderful. Small restaurant with one gentleman performing all of the dining room duties (and I think just one person in the kitchen), so the service was a little slow at times though he did an impressive job in managing everything. It was a set tasting menu (only choice was vegetarian or not vegetarian), and we got about a dozen dishes. All were delicious and surprisingly different from each other. The price was a comparable with other mid-range restaurants in Amsterdam. It was a bit out of the way for us to get here, but we considered it well worth the effort. Highly recommended!