All reviews great location valet parking nice hotel city centre business trip cold meats and cheeses within walking distance friendly and helpful staff grote markt beautiful city lounge area few minutes walk nice breakfast breakfast buffet is room was spacious stayed for nights old building
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

The hotel is centrally located in the city, just minutes walk from the centre. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are clean although the interior (as you can see on the photos) is from the 1990's. The shower is in the bath, something to take care with if you have mobility issues. The breakfast buffet has enough choice for everyone.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
EgbertBrinks, General Manager at NH Groningen Hotel de Ville, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Thank you for the review, just to add some extra information. We do have rooms with a normal shower, so please ask for this if you prefer this.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 February 2018

I stayed in this nice hotel for 3 nights. The location is great and very close to university, supermarkets, and restaurants. Nice and friendly staff too. Breakfast is also great with lots of varieties and fresh fruits.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels
EgbertBrinks, General Manager at NH Groningen Hotel de Ville, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2018

Thank you for this nice review!

Reviewed 15 February 2018

Small hotel right in the city center. Due to the location, it can get a bit noisy on a weekend night (but nothing that prevented me from having a great sleep).
Big, comfortable rooms and good service and attention. The restaurant is highly recommended, but it was fully booked so I could not experience it.
The bar is really cosy, with a wonderful open fire and very comfortable armchairs an sofa's.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
EgbertBrinks, General Manager at NH Groningen Hotel de Ville, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

Thank you for the review, nice to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 14 February 2018

Very happy with the experience, thank you. Breakfast is wonderful. Warm and welcoming environment. Staff is friendly and helpful in making any needed connections. Room was comfortable and cleaning staff did an excellent job.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

Thank you for this nice review.

Reviewed 6 February 2018

I travel frequently, and am a member of the NH hotel loyality program. This was by far the worst NH Hotel I've stayed in.They are usually a fantastic choice. This hotel has several positive qualities: great location, lovely warm fires in the lobby and the lounge, comfortable clean beds, and reasonable prices for the rooms. Unfortunately, I think we had the bad fortune of staying at the same time mediocre or poor staff were scheduled. We really did not receive what I would consider welcoming hospitality or kind treatment until we were checking out when someone inquired earnestly how our stay was. Prior to her, we were treated brusquely or ignored. As an example, all three times that I used the lovely lounge as a place to read, I had to ask for service. The last time, I sat for over an hour being absolutely ignored while the server attended to everyone in the lounge except me. When it was finally time to leave for a dinner reservation, I asked her why she ignored me. She didn't apologize. She said she just assumed I didn't want anything. I asked to speak to a manager and was told that he wasn't there. Upon checking in it would have been nice to briefly hear about what amenities -- restaurant, lounge, room service? -- were at our disposal (there was no info in the room, either). When I inquired, I was told the breakfast was 19.95 pp, which is a bit pricey for my morning tastes, especially with several cafes and bakeries in walking distance, so I can not speak to it. As for the rooms themselves, ours was small (which we don't mind) and very, very worn, but the linens and towels were clean. The toilet had a terrible odor when we arrived and needed to be flushed a few times. Maybe it had been unused for a long time? It may be worth noting that they did not clean or wipe down our room daily, rather just replaced supplies and emptied the trash. The floor was not vacuumed nor the shower wiped down during our stay. I was traveling with my son who is considering University there. I specifically requested separate, twin beds, and even checked again before arriving that we would have that accomodation. Despite the reassurances, the beds were set up together and my son and I had to push them apart ourselves, rearranging the furniture of the room in the process. Our room (220) was relatively quiet, despite the fact that it overlooks an elementary school next door (but we are early risers, so the morning activity didn't bother us). We will likely be back in Gronignen several times over the next years, but we won't be staying here.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
EgbertBrinks, General Manager at NH Groningen Hotel de Ville, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2018

Dear Madam,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Unfortunately your stay with us was not as you may expected.

My sincere apologies for the poor service, while this normally is one of our best appreciated parts of our hotel. I will discuss you review within our team, too make sure that we put more effort in our attention to our guests. We often have people who are reading in our lounge and often they do not want anything to order. Although the waitress thought she did a good job when she did not disturb you while reading, she should have checked this with you.
During the day we do not have a waiter in our lounge, but our front office staff need to keep an eye on the lounge and ask guests if they want anything to drink. Unfortunately you did not experience this.
During the stay of a guest we will clean the rooms but we do not want to move personal items of a guest. So we clean the basics during the stay. For long stay guests we do this different. The occupancy was good so that was no reason for the odor in the bathroom, we will check this in room 220 to make sure that it is in good condition.
I don’t know why we did not move the beds, because we will do this when guests are asking us to do this. It might be that we did not understand it properly.

My apologies for the bad service and I like to proof to you that your experience was an exception. Can you please contact us so I can take care of this?

Egbert Brinks