“A truly unique restaurant ”
Review of Kronenhalle

Kronenhalle
Ranked #64 of 2,160 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 20 November 2017 via mobile

Had the pleasure of trying the restaurant for a friends birthday dinner. We were a group of 4 and had made a reservation. Upon arrival we were greeted and promptly seated. Our coats were taken and hung up for us.

Three of us ordered the geschnetzeltes with Rösti as we had heard this was a specialty. We were not disappointed. We also had 1 beef cafe de Paris which was greatly enjoyed by the birthday guest. The portions were very filling. They didn’t crowd the plate but rather provided 2 servings. Our meal was accompanied by a lovey French wine.

The unique aspect is that we were sat directly at an original Picasso painting! Throughout the restaurant along with beautiful decorations you will find many famous paintings. We were provided with a small broacher explaining the history of the establishment when we expressed interest.

This is an upscale restaurant and that is reflected in the prices. I do feel that value for money was on par. I would recommend for a special occasion or a unique experience in Zurich. Very pleased to have enjoyed an evening here.

chris110560, Manager at Kronenhalle, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2017

Dear Kronenhalle Guest

Thank you for being our Ambassador!

We hope to welcome you soon again and best regards

Christian Dangel & Kronenhalle Team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,077)

Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

First of all I can loudly say that this restaurant is one of the best restaurant Ive ever been. The qualifications of the Kronenhalle is not only the tasty courses but also "being A professional restaurant with all the team"
Ive been searcing a good dinner time with 17 up to 18 people in Zurich and I had no idea where to eat. Then Ive decided to do the same thing as usual; trusted being a part of tripadvisor then have seen how Kronenhalle is on the top of restaurants with the good comments.
They are very polite, we have been accepted and welcomed over there within only a phone conversation which is actuaaly could be a problem to book enough place for big groups.
The starters are marvellous. I had "Prawn Coctail" I would also advice "Rosti" a traditional Swiss food which contains baked planed potato with sliced veal or other kind of meat. This is yhe main course.They serve it more then one time, checking ypur plate and offering some more if you have enough place in your stomach. As dessert I would also suggest "Cassata"
Internet connection is only available in smoking lounge because I guess they want their guests to enjoy the dinner and keep the communication alive, not online.
I finally want to mention about the most important issue for a tourist; the price. Kronenhalle is an expensive, high life reataurant. which means you should consider to carry more than 150 chf per person if you will wink on the wine list too.
I appreaciate for making me not embraced towards my managers by choosing this place, I would want to thank to Chief Antonio and the Waiter Diego, and David. We felt as Queens and Kings in Kronenhalle.

1  Thank ceyland2015

Dear Kronenhalle Guest

Wow, how many nice compliments! Thank you for being our great Ambassador!

See you soon again and best regards

Reviewed 9 November 2017

The maître d could not have been thrilled to see me. Nor would any at Zurich's other top restaurants, I expect. But there I was, decked out in jeans and a t-shirt (no coat, despite 6°C cloudy November weather) asking with a buttery American accent for a dinner table...for one. No reservation, virtually little demonstrated aforethought at all, in fact.

But, hey, I'm an American in Zurich and I'm not about to let that get between me and a good meal.

To his and the establishment's eternal credit, espousing the utmost in professionalism, he did in fact find me a selection of tables, upstairs, past my besuited and dapper fellow diners, offering a quiet privacy to enjoy a great meal. The restaurant did fill up others did join me on the second floor, but not before I ordered from their English language menu or received a decanter of red wine.

The wine was good, but the food is what made it all worth it. I tried the clear soup, and the roasted veal. The veal was a daily special and was served with mashed potatoes covered in gravy and roasted brussel sprouts. The veal itself had a beautiful unique crust and the meat was a perfect pink and tender. I thought it would be the highlight of the dish, but now it's really the potatoes I remember best. They were seasoned in a way I've never had before and they were simply buttery airy perfection. I'd say no matter what dish you go for here, don't miss the potatoes. Can't miss with the veal, though. Brussel sprouts were a great match for the gravy, and roasted just until they were ready, which is what I prefer.

I wanted authentic, classic Swiss food, and I think I received that in the highest quality.

Service for the solo diner is efficient in every respect. I was able to finish my 2 course meal, pay with a card, and drink a decanter of wine in the hour or so it took me to finish the Times crossword. I never wanted for wine, water, or attention.

The location is very convenient to shopping and trams so it's a natural choice if you're in the area. Their interpretation of classic recipes was delicious. But, you might want to find some slacks and a collar first.

1  Thank datavortex

Dear American in Zurich

Great, thanks for your lovely comments and pls be our Ambassador in your home Country!

We hope to see you soon again and best regards

Reviewed 7 November 2017 via mobile

They treated the foreigners like us so well. We dressed like normal when we went there, not so formal like you must have to wear suit and tie. You must reserve for the table becauae they're fully reserve everyday! It's not fine dining like michelin french cuisine. The waiter and waitress prepare you meal beside your table. They cut the veal, prepare a dish, spoon chocolate and cream or even cook the rosti near you. All dishes we eat are so delicious, they really have a good meat to serve you. Chocolate mousse and double cream is perfect!

Dear Kwanchanok

We are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us, thank you!

See you soon again and best regards

Reviewed 5 November 2017

I don't think the restaurant's deco changed the last 50 years, however the atmosphere and the is very nice. The waiters are very attentive and really professional, and the magicians in the kitchen are simply great.

Dear Guest

You are right, even during the next 100 years nothing will change, as the Kronenhalle is an uncomparable institution. Our goal is the remaining quality in kitchen and service.

Thefore we hope to see you soon again and best regards
Christian Dangel & kronenhalle Team