All reviews hide and seek urban retreat outdoor pool luxe room hotel is newly renovated generous room pool side michelin star rated balconies overlooking hotel residents great spa hourly shuttle made to order eggs steam room and sauna exceptional hotel mini bar is free relaxing hotel
Reviewed 14 July 2018 via mobile

The most fabulous hotel so far I have stayed at ever. I had two interlinked suites with most fabulous furnishings and very clean , very modern bathrooms. The staff was so amazing . In room dining was good, breakfasts were spectacular with the finest homemade granola I have ever had! Hotel is a bit far from downtown so they offer free drop off to a location near the lake. The pick up back from same points is also offered at selected times or on request. We were always on time for booked pick up but the car was always late( by Upto 45 minutes on some evenings), it being wet cold evenings it was a bummer to wait out in such wet cold weather with small kids :( that’s the only reason I am giving it four stars and not five as my husband got so unwell on one occasion cuz of waiting in such cold weather at night and there were no taxis available there for us to hire. One particular staff member was so so amazing , I unfortunately don’t remember his name anymore but I am attaching his pic with my boy to recommend him. It’s a renovated hotel and they have done it so luxuriously, worth the big buck they charge!

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

This hotel is beautiful! Amazing hiking trails right in back of the hotel. 10 minute cab ride from Zurich and amazing to be a little out of the city. The pool is incredibley relaxing and great for a day of rest in between all the sightseeing. Alfredo at
The pool bar is so nice and accommodating. For the nights you don't want to venture into the city the hotel restaurant and bar is super chic and relaxing. Gabriel our server at the restaurant bar made us feel like we have been coming there for years. Highly recommend staying here!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2018

I read through most of the reviews before deciding to book it for our stay in Zurich.

I had booked a car for pickup at the airport and was surprised when the car seats(which I requested for) were not installed prior to the pick up and we had to wait for the driver to install them.

We were traveling as a family of 4 (with 2 young kids) and asked for a crib during our stay. With surprise they not only included a crib (and other amenities such as a diaper pail, baby bathtub etc) for our toddler but another bed for my 4 year old. Those were much appreciated.

Check in was fine, there aren't any SPG benefits at the property and we received the smallest room with zero upgrades. Apparently breakfast is included when you are a paying guest but if you use your free nights you do not get it- I feel it is rather petty of the property to be honest. The non alcoholic drinks in the minibar are all free though which is nice.

The free shuttle service is great but a tad troublesome, you have to prebook it for both drop off and pick up (so if your phone doesn't work in Switzerland it can be a bother) and the drive either way takes around half an hour. You can also take the tram which is really convenient in good weather.

We were happy to use the pool but in general enjoyed our stay but there was something missing- the service is lacking and we never felt welcome as a family. At the end of our stay we were looking forward to switching back to the park hyatt .

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank lilybulb
Reviewed 3 June 2018

Zurich is my first stop in my long vacation to Europe. I was deciding between the more traditional Baur Au Lac and the more modern Atlantis and decided to book the latter due to positive reviews in tripadvisor and seemingly better room size. Before booking, I was well aware it is slightly out of the way. Nevertheless, since I will be sleeping through my jetlag most of the time, I figure it is ok.

Arrival

I asked the hotel to arrange a car limo to pick me up from airport to the hotel as the cost difference between a limo and taxi isn’t big. The car is a very nice and clean Mercedes new S-class and the ride was around 25 mins.

On arrival, I was warmly greeted and one of the staff did a quick check-in and escorted me to my room. As I arrived at 9:30AM, I appreciate the hotel effort to arrange an early check-in and have my room available so early.

The Luxury Room

This is one of the upper category room at 45m2 and has two balconies, a living area, a work desk, large king size bed and an ensuite bathroom. It’s more like a junior suite. There are two small balconies to soak in the view, one next to the living area and one at the bedroom. The hotel have two views depending on the location of the room. One faces the Zurich city and the distant lake Zurich. The other faces a lovely forest, although also facing the swimming pool that can be rather noisy when kids swim in it in the afternoon. However, the sound proofing in the room was excellent during my stay and I was not disturbed by any external noise. It’s a pleasure to wake up early in the morning during day break and hear the distant chipping sound of birds while enjoying the forest view bath in golden morning sunlight.

The room has good amenities. Mini-bar is free, including snacks where are replenished daily. There is a nice coffee machine which makes great coffee. Internet speed is excellent and super-fast, allowing free connection of up to 3 device. The only complaint I have is that the bathroom does not have sufficient towels, and toiletries like bath shampoo and showel gel there is only one small bottle, hardly sufficient for one, let alone two persons. Water pressure can also be better.

It goes without saying the bed is very comfortable. The room employs intelligent lighting system with a very cool touch sensitive panel to control lighting and aircon, and the good thing is that it is easy to operate and it works. One can choose various room light settings depending on the time of the day and it can be very bright or dim depending on preference.

Common areas and location

The hotel has two restaurants, a bar, and lots of cozy seating area both inside and outside the property for one to just lounge in and relax. It has a very resort like feel despite being a city hotel, which is one of it’s primary attraction.

I tried the casual restaurant Hide and Seek for a quick lunch which is fine but expensive at CHF80 for a basic 3 course meal + one glass of white wine. The same restaurant also serve breakfast which while adequate, is not great. The food selection is mundane, nothing outstanding and they serve sparking wine instead of champagne as in most other hotels which is rather disappointing. I also find the selection of cold cuts, cheese and sausages to be subpar. This is slightly disappointing as generally speaking, the breakfast in German and Swiss hotels are consistently among the best I have experienced in my travels. So I really hope the hotel can try to improve it. Another minor problem of the breakfast at this restaurant is that it directly faces east and the early morning sun can be blinding, even the internal sitting area.

The other restaurant Ecco is a 2 Michelin-star restaurant that only opens for dinner, which upon check-in, I was highly recommended to try. I will review it separately. There is a small gym at the basement and a Spa which I did not visit. There are both outdoor and indoor swimming pools.

The design of the hotel is Art Deco, with many interesting displays throughout the hotel. The hotel was opened not long ago in 2015. The hotel outdoor areas are just as nice as its indoor and there are a small garden surrounding the property with beautiful plants and flowers.

The hotel is located in the outskirt of Zurich. However, to reach the city centre of Banhofstrasse, one simply take a 8 mins S-bahn ride at the train station located at the main road, which is about 5 to 10 mins walk downhill from the hotel. The hotel also has some hiking treks in the forest nearby. It took about 40 mins to walk up and the view at the top is quite amazing, with a panoramic view of Zurich city from a high vantage point.

The Service

The reviews in tripadvisor mostly praise the service of this property to be excellent. For me, it’s kind of hit and miss. Some staff are more helpful and welcoming while others are kind of like going thru the motions. The standout staff is clearly the Head Concierge Mr Harry Braun. He showed a lot of care and concern to the guests and helped me with a few directions and restaurants booking during my stay, and he is the only one that remember and greet me by name. One example will be that I want to try the Ecco restaurant in the hotel. One reception staff took a quick look at her computer and said it’s fully booked. However, when I approached Mr Braun, he got me a table without fuss.

Housekeeping standards on the other hand can be better. My room wasn’t serviced until quite late in the afternoon and they forgot to replenish my toiletries. Also, I think turn down service was omitted for both nights although it might be because I have the DND lights on. Still, the standard practice is to leave a note to ask if the guests need turn-down-service and if so, to call.

Conclusion

The Atlantis by Giardino is a very nice property. It’s relaxing and charming and price affordably ( relatively speaking ). I have minor complaints about the bathroom and the breakfast but other than these, I think it’s overall a great stay. I rate it 4 out of 5.

Room tip: Request Room with balcony
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank BENLEE123
Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed our time here but quite frankly, it’s really not worth the money. Staff were helpful and friendly but we have had better hotel experiences at a better price.
Breakfast was good, room service was also good.
We wouldn’t return.