Mercure Stoller Zurich(Zurich)(Great Value!)
US$126
  • Breakfast included
US$351
US$313
  • Restaurant
Bristol Hotel Zurich(Zurich)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 04/08
US$196
US$174
  • Breakfast included
US$178
US$171
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$209/night.

US$161
US$136
  • Room Service
US$85
US$80
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$92/night.

Free cancellation until 05/08
Book now, pay at stay
US$300
US$210
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$244/night.

US$185
US$135
US$348
  • Restaurant
All reviewsrolls roycegrand dameconcierge staffgrand hotelbest hotels in the worldfive star hotelclassic hoteljunior suiteroom serviceswiss hospitalityfantastic hotellake viewpillow menuthe location is perfectzurich lakemini barshopping area
Reviewed 10 September 2010

Before coming here I had read reviews raving about the hotel itself and yet being less than impressed with management and the food. On the plus side, I did not find mold on my berries, as another guest did and the support staff is wonderful, not the least of which is one of the members of the concierge staff, Jeremy, who was excellent professionally and personally. However, I had a BLAST of rudeness from the General Manager that was surreal.

Specifically, my confirmation listed items included in the rate, one of which was breakfast. On the first day I was presented with a bill and when I inquired of the reservations person, I was told it was not included. From there I was asked to present the written confirmation, which I did. At that juncture I had assumed that the issue was a language difference and rather than belabor the point, I suggested they remove the cost of breakfast for that one day and the rest of my stay I would understand they had not intended to include breakfast, which I felt was more than reasonable.

What happened from there was that I was transferred to the on duty manager, Isabel, who insisted I was wrong, until I literally diagramed the sentence for her. This cyclical conversation went on far too long for a purported 5 star hotel, including her stating that the confirmation was not sent by the hotel but by Leading Hotels of the World and therefore it was their mistake and not Baur au Lac's. At long last she finally said that she did not have the authority to issue a credit and would speak with the General Manager in the morning.

15 minutes later, Leading Hotels called me and their representative wanted, based on a message he had received from the hotel, me to diagram sentences yet again and then he wanted me to hold so I could convey the same to his supervisor. At this point enough was enough.

I asked to speak with Baur au Lac's General Manager. When Marcus returned my call, I explained how ridiculous the situation had become, that I had offered to forego what I had been guaranteed, I assumed a misunderstanding and that I had no ill will, but the situation was now ridiculous.

Marcus' statements included "if I could not afford the breakfast", "You are a guest, act like one", "I have better things to do this evening" etc. In short, his manner was rude, degrading, pompous, and dismissive. He began almost every sentence with some type of diminishing message, and when I told him so and that he owed me an apology, he repeated multiple times that he would not apologize.

The only thing that gave him the least pause, was when I told him I was posting his comments and rude behavior on this site, but take heart, for he quickly regained his obnoxious attitude and insulted the other postings regarding rude management based on his delusion that "they didn't know all the facts". I guess the fact that these guests were present at the time when the incidences of rudeness occurred was not sufficient for Marcus.

Whoever owns this hotel should strongly consider employing management that is polite and professional.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
14  Thank BRNR
Reviewed 18 August 2010

For years I have been told that BAUR AU LAC is a must.... but unfortunately we found that the hotel is a great disappointment... even so it is clean, the staff friendly, THE HOTEL IS DISAPPOINTING.

The corridors feel like being in an institution rather than in a 5* de Luxe Hotel...

The Television is set in a way that you have to crank your head, the room itself which was recommended as one of their best was simply dull and with NO VIEW ... in a 5* de Luxe you expect more ...a WOW effect but not that you have to ask first to have a surplus bed removed which was still there from a previous guest.

the only true pleasure is the Garden Lounge/Bar where one sits in comfort....

will the Hotel see us again... NO!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
12  Thank pinkypoo2007
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Recently spent two nights in Zurich while on a family vacation (2 adults, 2 children). We had two conencting rooms. The hotel experience for the family was excellent. The staff were warm and friendly. Treats were sent up for the kids, each room had a bowl of fresh fruit along with complimentary use of the mini-bar. Both of our rooms were recently remodeled and were of the caliber befitting a five star hotel. The only surprising item were the bath amenities. The Baur Au Lac uses their own brand but we did not find them consistent with a five star experience. I would like to recognize the concierges. They were excellent. Friendly, accommodating and always on top of the little details. The only area of the hotel that I would question are the restaurants. Breakfast was very good but I found dinner on the terrace to be average food at an expensive price. Bottom line, this is a great hotel and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2010

We arrived into one of their best 2 bedroom corner suites, facing the Lake and river. It was newly remodeled and perfectly decorated with warm colors, soft fabrics, high gloss wood, mirrors, gold accents - a really lovely suite. In the grand hotels of Europe (scattered throughout the Continent), most of the best suites are on the first floor. This comes from a bygone era when the most important guests wanted to sashay down a grand staircase for all to see (only the lesser folks rode the elevator or huffed up the stairs to the top floors back then). I found the suite a little too partitioned and cramped in some corners but my wife loved it and said she could live there.

The front door area and valet reminded us of an LA hotel with a bar/lounge with tall white drapes located directly across from Valet Parking and the front door. It was quite a scene with guests and locals stopping by for drinks, very cool. The front door staff, head valet, bellmen and doorman were excellent - superb gents who made us feel most welcome and really carried the property.

The products and services in the hotel really let us down. Food was just not good. We had breakfast and got a bowl filled to the brim with Raspberries – every single berry “covered” in mold. The eggs were runny.. not just Continental Europe style runny.. but Nile River style runny… Just horrible. I had the manager come up who looked at the food and apologized profusely but the damage is done.. What kind of kitchen staff would serve a guest such gruel without looking at it?? Speaking of breakfast, we asked for a large pot of coffee for two each day and consistently got just 4 small cups of lemony tasting Northern European coffee, if it was better coffee I would have been offended that they gave us so little. The quality of the coffee was unacceptable in this land of Nespresso, and if you like coffee the way my wife and I do, you will not like this hotel. Our 8:30am breakfast came at 8:40 – surprising in a city where everything comes on-time.

Bathrooms had exactly 2 towels.. not enough for hygenic adults who freshen with a quick shower in the AM as well as at night. We didn’t even have next-size down hand-towels as there was just one of those and my wife beat me to the morning shower.. I got the choice of using damp towels or calling for more from the shower – I chose the former. Speaking of the shower we were surprised that there was no conditioner, just conditioning shampoo in the shower. When you pay $6000 francs a night for your room you don’t pack your own shampoo, the hotel provides it and you expect quality products. It wasn’t. My hair looked frizzy in every picture.

Lastly the beds were not comfortable. We're accustomed to the harder beds found in continental Europe, but neither my wife nor I had one good night's sleep here. The kids slept like rocks though.

We'll never forget Zurich's beautiful setting and the hotel's wonderful position within the city, but what we'll remember most are the little shortcommings which emotionally stripped thousands of Francs from the value of our visit and frankly made the place feel overpriced. If you're not in town to inspect your gold bullion under Banhoffstrasse, just arround the corner from the hotel, then come for drinks at the bar scene, skip the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
8  Thank theLuckiestGuy
Reviewed 23 June 2010

Fantastic Location, just a minute from Bahnhoffstrasse,
Very nice size Deluxe Double Room, very good bathroom size.
Superb room service and delicious food.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple