All reviews rolls royce grand dame concierge staff grand hotel five star hotel classic hotel junior suite swiss hospitality room service fantastic hotel lake view favorite hotel pillow menu the location is perfect zurich lake shopping area mini bar
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Situated at the head of Lake Zurich, the location is as fabulous as the rooms and service.

Although perhaps premium priced, the luxuriousness of the rooms, wine and food, make this a special hotel.

I was there for business and for pleasure and it was perfect for both types of stay.

Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and the breakfast, wine bar and room service are all very good indeed.

Excellent, albeit small, gym with superb views of the lake.

Thoroughly recommend this hotel, if your budget allows it.

Room tip: Opt for a roomier city / junior suite if you can. Room 235 was great and with a nice balcony
Date of stay: January 2013
1  Thank nicoslindos
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Dear nicoslindos

Thank you very much for your wonderful review on your stay at the Baur au Lac.

We are delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable time with us and that you particularly appreciated our location, rooms and service. Be assured that we have shared your kind words with all our employees and hope that we will have the chance to meet your expectations again during your next visit.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

2 nights for bussines , great location near the banhof , the hotel is beutifull
Mostnof it renovated but still save the classic style
The service is amazing , all the time you can see people work all over and on everything, clean, concierge , porters
The price is high never the less great luxury hotel
Breakfest - amazing

Date of stay: December 2012
2  Thank Vizaim
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2013

Dear Vizaim,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your „Baur au Lac experience“ on tripadvisor.
We are happy that you have chosen the Baur au Lac for your stay in Zurich and are delighted to hear that we were able to fulfil your expectations.

Especially your appreciation for the renovated but classic style of the hotel, as well as the breakfast in the Pavillon, makes us very proud.

Please rest assured that we will share your insightful comments with our entire team. It was a great pleasure to have you as our guest and we truly hope to welcome you back at the Baur au Lac in the near future.

Reviewed 23 December 2012

I have stayed at the Baur au Lac many times before usually on my own but this last visit with my husband.
I like it mainly because of the excellent service, the beautiful public rooms, the relatively quiet location despite being in the city and the delicious food.
I normally book a single room so this time having booked a double I expected something slightly larger but if anything it was smaller and felt a bit cramped.
I always ask for a quiet room on a high floor with a nice view. The first two I got but as usual it was facing inwards, the so called "courtyard view" which just looks out on to the other rooms.
We arrived too late for a "Swiss" lunch which normally ends promptly at 1.30pm but in this case 2pm so at about 2.20pm we made our way to the excellent Rive Gauche restaurant in the hotel which has an afternoon menu. I had a simple grilled chicken dish with vegetables which was delicious as was everything we ate at the hotel.
I love the big lounge and this time there was a huge Christmas tree decorating it. We enjoyed a couple of drinks there and a snack in the evening watching all the comings and goings.
Our weekend rate included a breakfast in the gorgeous Pavillon restaurant which is a delight in terms of the food, the service and the decor.
This time I would say that my experience was spoilt slightly by some rather brusque receptionists.
Firstly there was no mention of a welcome back despite my loyalty. A welcome drink included in the rate never materialised. The room was very hot and we went to ask if maybe we were not operating the heating control properly but we were told in no uncertain terms that the air conditioning was not switched on in the winter and we should just open the windows and it would cool down. We had already done this as it was stifling.
Then on the morning of checkout I asked if we could have a late check out at 2.45pm as we had a plane to catch at 5pm. I wanted to go back to the room and pack my morning's shopping in to the rest of my luggage. i was told that this was not possible but a 1.30pm departure could be offered. This did not really help so we checked out at about 11am and returned to the hotel for a cup of tea at 2.30pm only to see other people coming down in the lift with their luggage and checking out then.
For me, I had to repack my things in the porter's luggage room.

Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank hollins1

Dear hollins1,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay at the Baur au Lac on tripadvisor.

We really appreciate that you took the time to record your experience in such a detailed way and are delighted to hear that we were able to fulfil your expectations regarding our restaurants in terms of the food, service as well as the ambience. Furthermore we would like to thank you for your loyalty over the past years and are happy to learn that your husband was able to join during your last visit.

Concerning your experience at the front desk we truly regret that the overall performance of our reception team seemed unprofessional and rather brusque. Rest assured that guest recognition is very important to us and the unsatisfactory points that you address in your comments have been reviewed. Please do accept our apology for any inconvenience caused.

Our deluxe double rooms vary in shape, colour and size. Sometimes it can be a little challenging to assign the “right” room. Nevertheless, we are convinced that during your next visit with your husband we will be able to find a quiet room on a high floor with a nice view. Even our city view rooms on a high floor are not noisy.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back to the Baur au Lac in the near future and have the opportunity to better serve you during your next visit.

Reviewed 7 November 2012

Recently, guess some years ago, I saw the Baur au Lac mentioned as one of the best hotels of the world. Could´nt agree more.Got into Zurich after hours driving from Germany and arrived after midnight. Had no reservation for my plans had flunked. Checked in with the normal Swiss courtesy and they gave me a fantastic double room. The hotel is close to the Banhof Strasse, in the center of Zurich and, as the name says. on the brink of the Zugerzee.I made my comments before on Lausasse and on Switzerland. At 11 pm you won´nt find a single personon the streets. In the other bank, crossing the bridge, Zurich has an effort of nightlife, on the old part of the town. If I should recomend a place to stay (it´s expensive...) I woulkd point out the Baur au Lac. Has an excellent restaurant with a lake view and the food is super.
From one to 10 : 10 to the BAL.

Room tip: I quoted the swimming pool as poor for frankly I did´nt see any. Plan you trip to enjoy Zurich and "environs" by day. At night well, stay at the hotel and eat their wonderful food.
Date of stay: January 2012
1  Thank Sergio99
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Dear Sergio99

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your „Baur au Lac“ experience on TripAdvisor.
We are delighted to read that you have spontaneously decided to stay with us and have had such a great time in Zurich. Your kind comments about the service, room and our central location are very much appreciated.

It would be a great pleasure to welcoming you in the near future.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Baur au Lac Zürich is an extraordinary hotel in city center, at the end of the prestigious Bahnhofstrasse.
Service is excellent, location is perfect, and this is truly a deluxe hotel with everything you can expect from this category in Switzerland.
Breakfast buffet at “Pavillon” is just perfect! Very large choice and delicious food.
With my best recommendation. I will stay here next time visiting Zürich.

Date of stay: September 2012
1  Thank yamatthey
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Dear yamatthey,

Thank you very much for your wonderful and kind words you have posted on tripadvisor.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your time spent at the Baur au Lac. Especially your comments about the excellent service and the delicious breakfast at the restaurant Pavillon make us very proud.

It would be a great pleasure for us to welcome you back in the near future.