“Traditional small Swiss restaurant”

Brasserie Saint Laurent
Ranked #66 of 777 Restaurants in Lausanne
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: French
Description: Traditionnal Brasserie, various dishes
Description: Traditionnal Brasserie, various dishes
Reviewed 13 August 2015

This is a small and traditional restaurant in the city centre of Lausanne. We came here for dinner during a conference visit.

I had a horse steak and my companions had Zurich-style sliced veal with Rösti (that is as typically Swiss as it gets, but really is from the German-speaking region). The veal apparently was very good, but my steak was rather small, more cooked than I had requested, and came with rather a lot of grease in the plate. The desserts, a cheese platter for me and ice cream with chocolate for my companions, were also good but nothing really special.

The wine list has a range of wines by the glass, by the 0.5 litre carafe or by the bottle. We had a regional red wine that was good.

It seemed it was a bit of a stressful evening for the staff of the restaurant, as the main chef was on holidays and a replacement chef was working the kitchen. Nevertheless, this dinner did not measure up to the ones we had had on the three preceding days.

Reviewed 30 September 2014

Best value for your buck. Great fondue and daily specials. Try the fish. In the heart of old Town and service great

2  Thank Grant B
Reviewed 19 December 2013

A nice dinner and very good wine, good service from the italian owner. The food is mostly suisse, but you can also find a nice selection of pastas. Good price per quality.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We took advantage of the 'Menu du jour' and had a delicious 3 course dinner with pleasant waiter in St. Francois district of Lausanne.

2  Thank tigrecat
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Ate here with a work colleague one evening during the week. We had actually targeted a nearby Thai restaurant which turned out to be closed. The nearest place that caught our eye was the Brasserie Saint Laurent. I THINK the restaurant is run by Portuguese people though the menu has items mentioning Swiss, French, Indian, Italian and Chinese ingredients.

The restaurant was quite busy but we were directed to a table by a very friendly waitress. My colleague ordered spaghetti arabatta which was perfectly cooked in the Italian style with al dente pasta and not awash with sauce; a good sized portion too. I had pork fillet medallions in a morel mushroom cream sauce. The meat was caramelised but tender and the sauce had a deep mushroom flavour. I asked for potato rosti on the side instead of chips, rice or pasta. We enjoyed a couple of "pots" of house wines. A "Pot" turns out to be a 500ml bottle. Both were very pleasant wines at VERY reasonable prices. The waitress gave us each a slice of some kind of nutty flan as a free desert, though we both struggled to finish it after a good main course.

This is a simple restaurant with a wide choice of well presented dishes and drinks served by friendly staff, all at a very reasonable price, especially for Switzerland.

2  Thank EdB222