See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 October 2017

dont make a mistake from the name , usually hotel EXCELSIOR in big cities very good Hotels
but this is a good Pension
we have ordered one room tow person 160 swiss frank about 150 euro , usually you think it is very nice room
after arrival we have really disappointed about 12 m2 and frau Müller proposed us bigger room we asked will you upgrade no we took this small room Hotel is middle of Locarno ok breakfast ok not special eggs was too much cooked only bread very nice but Locarno is very expensive all Hotels are rather old nice

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed 6 May 2016 via mobile

Nice Location near the lake and near the tennis. The staff is really helpful and nice, they even booked one hour tennis for us. Really appreciated the room, even if it is not the most modern room you ever seen. It's really quiet, even on the balcony. I might definitely book this hotel again for a next trip.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We've just come back from a weekend trip to Locarno having stayed at the Excelsior. The location is brilliant - a 10 min walk from the station and from the Piazza Grande. It's also only 2 minutes away from the shores of the lake, but one block back which means you don't hear the sounds of the traffic on the main road.

The staff were very helpful and the family room that we booked was good value for what we paid.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Kashifinho
Reviewed 31 August 2010

We chose this hotel based on positive feedback from friends and we were not disappointed! Hotel is located along the lake a few meters from the city center and lake.
Beautiful, bright, colorful, fragrant anything you want. Minibar at low cost, a line Wi-Fi, well kept and the rooms are well furnished, spacious and comfortable and very clean. The prices are reasonable, fabulous, by the kindness of the employees and owners. The breakfast buffet is excellent, consisting of cereals, meats and cheeses, fruit and bread rolls, such as fruit juices, coffee or tea.
It 'was one of my best hotel experience I ever had.
Council to all travelers

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank frizkrebser
Reviewed 30 August 2010

This is our review of the „Hotel Excelsior“ in Locarno where we had probably the worst hotel-experience ever in our career. So the first and most important recommendation for others is: book wherever you choose to in Locarno just make a big circle around this place!!!

On August 28th we decided to escape the bad weather in Vorarlberg/Austria to train at Lago Maggiore for two days. We are professional triathletes and in preparation for the Ironman World Championship 2010 in October. Due to our work we are travelling a lot and spend a good amount of time per year in hotels around the world from 3 star-level to world-class resorts like the Westin on Langkawi/MY.
As the decision to travel to Locarno came as quick as the bad weather in Austria and our hideaway in Cannobio/ITA was fully booked, we choose a place close to the newly renovated pool in Locarno.
Hotel Excelsior seemed a good pick (the only good point in the whole story as we would find out later), we called and reserved a (finally tiny) double-room with no balcony (the last free one as we were told) even if the price of 160,-sfr (approx. 125 Euros) seemed pretty high for a 3-star-standard.
Already on the phone the person I was talking to (later we found out that he seems to be the owner, he played the main role in our nightmare) was pretty arrogant. However as we were under time-pressure we reserved the room and off we were towards Locarno.

When we arrived in Locarno we quickly checked in and were told that the breakfast would start at 8am (our plan was to get on the bike for our long training-ride the latest at 8am and breakfast would have been digested already at that time). We asked if there would be a chance to start maybe 30min. earlier to stay in our training-schedule for the day. No, no chance! Clear answer!
So we swallowed that and went out for our ride and run training. Arriving back we were concerned to leave our expensive time-trial machines in our car overnight (we are talking about gear worth 25.000,-€) and politely asked if there might be a place somewhere in a corner to keep the bikes inside overnight (99,9% of the hotels store it somewhere save for us). The same person as before replied that there would be no space for „this“ and generally there would be no bikes allowed in the hotel (ours are probably cleaner than the hotel we are talking about itself).
Anybody who frequently travels knows how much support different accodomodations are providing to active people. The client is in the center of your effort to be satisfied. This usually expands over the normal standard to keep the customer happy.
OK, we left the bikes in the car, looked it and activated the alarm hoping that we would find a still unlocked car with all windows intact in the morning.

We got up on time the next morning, packed our stuff and hurried down to get breakfast started at 8am sharp. While my partner paid the room and informed the „owner“ that we would have a quick breakfast even though we had to leave for training. I already went into the breakfast-room and to the „juice-bar“ of the breakfast buffet (orange juice and multivitamin). I had my bike-bottle with me and filled a little orange-juice and the rest water in it as I was only supposed to have a quick piece of bread to have something in the stomach for a 170km-ride.
Suddenly the guy/“owner“ was standing besides me yelling at me if I had not seen the sign which said it was not allowed to take food out of the breakfast-room (I had not left the room at that point and not seen the hidden sign behind the „juice-bar“).
My partner tried to calm him down (she still was very polite even though he was messing up our whole weekend).
For me this was enough, no more hunger or desire to stay at this place one minute longer. I had never ever experienced something like this before and replied to him that form e it had reached the limit with his nasty style of mobbing us and that he should think about how he is treating people. I saw the other guests sitting there silently and looking pretty surprised.
I turned around and left the room hearing him say that we should better leave the hotel (can you imagine?).
We packed our stuff, left the hotel as fast as we could and tried to get back to our daily plans to forget about all the negative experience.
We know rules in hotels, we know about the rules in the dinner-rooms. We also know, coming from a country that mainly relies on tourism that you treat people as your guests and not like kids in a youth hostel or worse. Especially if they pay a lot for a totally overrated standard like the 3 by 3,50m room weh ad where barely the bed found space.
We don´t ask a lot, just a place to stay with friendly people so we can do our job (for us training belongs to the effort to make a living not to vacation).
August and high-season bring a lot of people to Locarno. Some hotels are happy to host those visitors and pamper them. Others take advantage of the fact that there are less rooms available than needed. The past has shown us that this can turn around quickly as guest have the chance to share their good and bad experience.
This is a bad one and as mentioned in the beginning the worst we ever had.
Make your time in beautiful Locarno a special one and stay away from „Hotel Excelsior“! It will save you energy, time and valuable money that you can spend better at another place.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business