All reviews green fields bernese mountain dog the hotel staff shuttle bus weather permitting breakfast spread walk into town an update wonderful hotel direct view breathtaking views superior room family owned swiss hotel grindelwald valley special thanks living room
Reviewed 17 August 2015 via mobile

The Kirchbuehl proposes, as complementary offer to the hotel, a selection of Chalets.
We stayed in one of them (couple + 2 boys 13 and 10) and trully enjoyed this combination of quiet autonomy in the chalet associated with the great breakfasts and a lovely Swiss diner for the National Day served at the hotel.
A special thanks for Frau Brawand and her warm hospitality.

Stayed: August 2015
Reviewed 5 August 2015 via mobile

My boyfriend and I came here in May, and we were upgraded for free to a deluxe corner room with a full view of the Eiger in all angles and the gondolas at first. It was amazing to say the least! The staff was friendly, welcoming and very accommodating. The only issue was trying to call the hotel shuttle to pick us from the train. The information booth was not willing to call the hotel for us and we walked up the hill with our heavy luggage in the heat. Our cell phones did not have any service to call ourselves. We asked another shuttle driver if they could call our hotel to send someone, which they did. It is not the fault of the hotel, but we felt the information booth should have all the hotel numbers to call for shuttles. The room cleanliness and beauty cancelled out the shuttle debacle, and the view was to die for! It was truly amazing and breathtaking. I loved waking up to the Eiger and hearing cowbells in the distance. The breakfast was very good, with a superb selection. Loved the yoghurt, cheese and croissants. We will definitely return again and we would recommend this hotel!

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2015

Foods are interesting. Manager misunderstood an order and we were given correct order, but he still charged for the mistake. He appeared to like his authority and being in charge. Sent waitress to tell us when we questioned. But he had also removed the food. We didn't eat or even keep. Our group of six were shocked at this behavior.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ElizabethMaske
Reviewed 29 July 2015

We are a family of 5 (2 parents and three older teens) on a 12-day Swiss vacation, and Hotel Kirchbuehl was a delightful place to stay with beautiful views of the Alps and valley. The staff members were absolutely friendly and the hotel rooms are well-appointed (not tired and run-down) and reasonably sized. We loved our spacious balcony with dramatic views of the Eiger and other mountains as well as the gorgeous valley. The restaurant was stunningly good as well (see my separate review). The only drawback of the hotel (if you want to call it that) is the fact that it's a steep 10-minute walk down to town and the hotel shuttle is discontinued after 6 p.m., but we dealt with that just fine.

Room Tip: Ask for balcony view of Eiger Mountain
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2015

When we arrived, after a 2 day drive from Uk, with 2 boys to run the ultra marathon, they initially told us that they did not have reservation!! Panic. When I went to the car to get paper work to prove that we did, another different and kind lady apologised for her colleague and said of course they did have reservation. She took us to the apartment.
The next worst thing was that on the morning of the ultra marathon, we saw the boys off at 6am and went up for breakfast, arriving at 6.45am. The hotel, like all the others, for residents pre-marathon, had served an all night breakfast. But when we got there, all the tables were covered with dirty plates and cutlery. So, I asked the somewhat wide lady behind the counter where I could sit please, at a clean table. She wagged her finger in my face going on at me for asking!! So, my husband and I sat at a table with dirty crockery etc and then went to collect our breakfast buffet. One manageress and another front of house manageress came and apologised for the disgusting treatment we had from the person in the dining area because it was 6.45am.
The man behind the counter at breakfast also was rude to us and I translated his French as saying no cooked breakfast that early. So, we made do with what we could and went to meet the boys at their FIRST stopping point. As we walked to cable car, I saw the "chef" out the back of the kitchen smoking. I wonder if he ever washed his hands... as a doctor, I am amazed the managers allow this.
Cigarette ends around the place were also never cleared up and that and the dog faeces on the grass on route between the eating area and the chalet we were in, really ruined the lovely Swiss mountains.
We stayed 2 nights and we ate there the first night as they had a pasta special for the runners- and the boys enjoyed that. Sadly, I ate something with chorizo and it upset my tummy, so we chose not to eat there again.
The architect for the chalet should also be blamed for some poor design issues. Firstly, the noise really travelled down from the people above us. On the Sunday after the marathon, we were all tired and the people in the chalet above us started making loads of noise from 6.30am, waking us all up. They parked their car outside the window and going up and down the steps outside our bedroom was horrific and we could hear them moving upstairs.
The architect should also not design the bathroom so that clean towels are hanging by the loo seat!
The Swiss mountains are beautiful and we loved Switzerland and the view from the room was fantastic.
The boys enjoyed their pasta pre-race.

Room Tip: Upstairs chalets are probably quieter as noise travels down
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family