“Great Lunch.”

Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Altstadt
Description: The "Schnabel" is one of the oldest and most traditional restaurants in town. With its cosy atmosphere it is very characteristic for Basel and the place where locals meet. It is firmly ancered in the customs of this town and during the Carnival worth a look! It is well known for its good plain cooking and local specialities, fine wines and a large range of quality beers on tap. We speak several languages and have English & French Menus available.
Reviewed 7 August 2018

We arrived at Restaurant Schnabel in Basel unexpected due to a problem with our journey.

The staff were friendly and efficient serving our Chicken with Chips and Beers very quickly.

We enjoyed our visit I wish I could return.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 13 July 2018

They were quick to seat me at a table. I was given an English menu. They happily brought me a glass of tap water when I requested it and a second one later when I had almost emptied the first. I ordered salmon with vegetables, baby potatoes and Hollandaise sauce. I liked everything, but most especially the vegetables. The salmon and the potatoes were a little greasy. The sauce or the salmon was a little salty. The presentation was lovely. The restaurant was busy and it took a little bit of time for me to get my bill and to charge my credit card. I was patient.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

It was lovely evening so we sat outside. The ambience was very comfortable and service very friendly and prompt. The menu included English version so there was no trouble in ordering. The selection is not extensive, mainly offering local favorites with many mains accompanied with rosti. I ordered the calf liver sautéed with butter and onions. Very delicious and very matching with the rosti on the side. Also interesting is the steak tartare which was very tasty.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

The menu is relatively small and features simple dishes. Our food was mostly cooked okay except they way overcooked the featured asparagus.

Wine list was interesting.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

Great food, lovely atmosphere and warm friendly staff. Ots a very nice, traditional decorI highly recommend the Rosti!

Date of visit: April 2018